“Okay and fair price but could do better”

The New Inn-Relaxinnz
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
England
“Okay and fair price but could do better”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed here one night mid week in February 2013. Arrived in Gloucester earlier thank I expected and rang hotel to see if I could get an earlier check in, they said room would be available at 12.30pm. Went to hotel and reception said room not ready and although I was certain that they had not qualified that this was not guaranteed, they claimed they had. However room was ready by about 1pm and was a deluxe room which was a decent size and clean. Hotel seemed short on staff and breakfast was okay but with very poor selection of cereals and fruit. My full English was supposed to have mushrooms and tomatoes, arrived without and when queried told they had run out. Good value overnight parking at £3 at near by multi-storey car park with token provided by hotel. I would stay again. Clean basic hotel at basic prices and basic service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Kitchener
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We enjoyed our stay that this hotel. The room was warm (in the winter); the place was clean; the hair dryer didn't work; the bed was great; service was efficient...it was close to everything. Parking was in a parking garage several minutes walk away but it was safe and secure. The price was pretty good. I would recommend the place to a friend.

Room Tip: The building is very old (but refurbished) so if you have much luggage or luggage that is large, the...
2 Thank Ndoy
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Such an interesting place- visually. Walking into a nice courtyard with the bar and restaurant separate. It could be in need of a bit of a facelift but really I think it has a lot of character to it the way it is. Went for a meal and unfortunately the service was poor, we waited ages for someone to come and take our order and then we waited about 50 minutes for it to actually turn up. The food was nice but after the wait it was just an average meal really. It could of been the day we went on, but not sure as to whether we will be returning for another meal.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Salisbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2013

First impressions of the courtyard on arrival at the New Inn are fantastic. Beautiful historic building with an amazing covered courtyard. Unfortunately the rest of my experience was quite as positive. After waiting for 5 minutes or so at reception someone eventually appeared to check me in to what had been booked as a 'deluxe double room'. I was allocated room 108. This was actually a large, ageing twin room with very poor decor. As I was going out for the evening and only staying one night I decided that as the beds seemed comfy I wouldn't bother querying the room booking. Overall my stay was reasonable value for the price paid but certainly nothing special.

Room Tip: Stay at the rear of the hotel at weekends as I imagine the front rooms would be pretty noisy on Frid...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Graeme T
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Staying in Gloucester, wanted a nice simple British pub meal, this is the place. Lovely building, great food and excellent service from 2 new members of staff. Would certainly call again. Being in the town centre made it a worthy walk from the nearby hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank CraigM1974
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I booked a Team of 25 in for a Saturday night dinner, bed and breakfast - giving 3 months notice and a deposit to the hotel after having sat down and discussed this with the manager.
Three days before the weekend I offered to assist the check-in process by pre-allocating rooms when we met to confirm arrangements. This offer of help was not accepted. Check in was a nightmare of confusion; I personally had to assist the receptionist. At the end I was left standing with another colleague and amazed to be told they'd run out of rooms! Eventually when we shuffled others around different rooms we were found a bed each; The promised carvery meal consisted of pork only (no other meat available) and 6 in the group at the end of the queue had to do with a chicken or steak pie when the meat ran out.
Payment for the party was demanded in full at check-in, which we found at variance with usual hotel practice in our extensive experience of travelling. It was also a surprise that we had to pay £3.75 to exit a car park where this had not been made explicit despite the question being made two times before.
Lastly the author phoned to offer feedback to the manager 'Jo', 4 days after the weekend. It was agreed that she would ring back. When she chose to at her convenience, she was extremely abrupt and did not wish to listen to my observations. While she offered me her email address I felt it would be pointless to engage with her.
I would strongly urge anyone who wishes to stay at this hotel to go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank RayOspDoc
Cheshire
Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night for a family get together. I fell in love with it on sight, very historic and charming, Stuart the receptionist/batman was extremely helpful and friendly, as was Lizzie who served us at dinner. The rooms were clean & comfortable, no complaints with the food but for me it was the charm and history. Centrally located, city centre right on doorstep, ideally situated for shopping and sightseeing. We will be going back for sure and would recommend

• Stayed January 2013