“Exellent, reasonably priced and good service”

The Barge Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 329 Restaurants in Gloucester
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a 30 seat restaurant located next to the Mariners Church in the historic Gloucester Docks. We serve traditional British cuisine and on a Sunday we serve a full Sunday Roast.
Reviewed February 18, 2014

This is the beest food in Gloucester, the price is good and the service execellent. My friend and I go about once a fortnight now. We don't have to think about where we want to go - we always go to the Barge now.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We visited here Saturday night with friends. I chose this place solely on the reviews from here. What a disappointment! First off, we had to go in search of glasses for our drinks, we then had to wait a considerable time to be served. When the food finally arrived, we discovered mouldy bread, stone cold pork, and freezing tortillas - they literally felt as though they had been removed from the fridge and placed on the sizzling plate to serve with the rest of the dish. I brought all this to the attention of the waitress and she did apologise and said she would 'take everything on board'. May be arrived at a bad time, may be they just didn't have enough staff to cope with it all (there was only one waitress). Whatever the issues, they seriously need to sort them out.

5  Thank Caroline T
Reviewed February 16, 2014

This has to be one, if not the best family run restaurant in Gloucester. The service and food is outstanding on every occasion i have visited and they will go the extra mile to satisfy the customer. Keep up the good work

Reviewed February 15, 2014

We joined family who regularly eat here and had told us how good it is.We were not disappointed. We were made very welcome and found food to be fantastic value especially the two courses for £6.95. The portions were generous, food perfectly cooked and the pudding excellent. Our relatives have eaten here many times on various days of the week and never had a poor meal. Don't be swayed by one negative previous review try it for yourself.

1  Thank Charlotte P
Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

Tried out the barge solely from reviews on trip advisor. I quite like a good quality cheap breakfast. I normally pay around £7ish for a good one. Got to the barge around 11am it was completely empty just the chef and the waitress. Was served swiftly and the waitress was very nice, helpful and was able to alter my breakfast.

The breakfast came and looked good fresh and clean but then I realised some of the mushrooms were not cooked (actually raw) the rest were slightly burnt. Then I realised the hash brown looked undercooked and was. The list went on. The bacon was good quality but again slightly undercooked, black pudding - undercooked, toast and beans were cold. To be honest the only thing on the plate I felt was cooked properly was the eggs.

Now don't get me wrong i don't like writing bad reviews and I have been to this cafe/restaurant with three children before, they were very accommodating and the food was great, but when I read a review on trip advisor and it says "best breakfast in Gloucester" and I turn up on a day when there is no one else there and the food is not cooked then there is something wrong.

I would defiantly recommend Seymour cafe (Seymour road) and Concorde (Bristol road) above the barge. Yes they are not as clean abit gritty, but the standard is always the same and it's always good. Never has any of the food been undercooked or cold even when it's busy.

Would recommend for other food but not for breakfast on a quiet day as I think they were trying to concentrate on prep. Cafe is very clean

1  Thank Grant W