“Birthday Celebration”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 10, 2013

My husband took me to celebate my birthday last night. He could not have chosen a better restaurant. The service was superb and the food excellent. We shared a fantastic starter of chicken satay and thai fishcakes. The salmon penang that we both had with a vegetable side dish and rice was exceptional. This combined with a bottle of Penny Lane, coffees and sambucas made for a very special evening.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

I too, like some other reviewers had a Groupon voucher - feels a bit cheapskate sometimes, but hey, it does encourage people to try other restaurants they might not have otherwise. A smart move by Na Lampang, as our meal for 2 was superb, so we will be back - Groupon or not!

I had the mussels for starter. The rather watery looking soup they came in tasted FANTASTIC and was bursting with flavour! My main was a green curry and again was gorgeous. My wife had fishcake starters ( ( lovely ) - sorry, don't recall her main dish, but she did enjoy! Both meals came with a pot of rice.

We also opted for a side dish of stir fried broccoli! Wow - how to make a vegetable taste heavenly.
All was was washed down with a nice bottle of white wine ( think it was about £13 ).

The restaurant does lack a little in ambiance, but is cheerfully presented. As the owner says, best to concentrate on quality food, rather than pay over the top for a fancy expensive location.

I don't often eat Thai food, but really appreciated the change from Chinese or Indian! Our meal was bursting with different flavour and textures. I look forward to our next visit! Thank You!

1  Thank currybum
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I visited Na Lampang for the first time to celebrate my sisters birthday. There was a large group of us so we did take up a lot of the space in the restaurant. The restaurant is small - the bottom line is that it's a café style place opposite the rugby stadium. Of course it is not going to be the Ritz, however that's not what this restaurant is about...

The service at Na Lampang is second to none. The people who work here are absolutely lovely. They are quite happy to explain dishes to their customers, and to talk you through the meals you have been served if you so wish them to. We were surprised to find that the table was laid with confetti and birthday balloons for my sister - what a lovely touch! We didn't ask OR pay for this. The staff are friendly and welcoming which I find is something that can come across as very forced in a lot of restaurants nowadays, however here the service is very genuine.

The food is absolutely delicious. Both times I visited I shared a Set Lampang meal. The variety is great and you certainly get great value for money. You must try the Massaman Curry - it's incredible!!! All the food is hot and fresh, and served quickly considering it is ALL homemade.

Overall a fantastic restaurant. If you're considering going - do! You won't regret it!

Thank you to all the staff for making both my evenings enjoyable. You are all fantastic!!! x

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I've visited this restaurant about half a dozen times now and the food continues to be of an excellent standard; it certainly beats the Thai restaurants in Cheltenham for flavoursome food by a long way. I've previously done a review of this restaurant and given it glowing comments and that mainly stands. On this visit my husband and I had booked a table and they knew we were Groupon customers and I wonder if this somehow influenced the service we received. The restaurant was full and, although we had booked, we still had to wait 10 minutes for our table even though there was a table for two empty - still that's not the end of the world. We ordered a platter to share to start with and, when it eventually came, everything was very enjoyable except for the Thai dumplings which were so dreadfully chewy we both had to leave them. This is the only food item we have ever had at this restaurant which was not very nice. Waiting for our mains we noticed people who had arrived after us were receiving their mains before us but we just put it down to the fact that if food is cooked fresh they might be ordering things that didn't take so long to cook, but the fact is from the moment we arrived at the restaurant to receiving our mains was 1 hour 25 minutes! For our mains I had the Red Thai curry which, as usual, was absolutely delicious and my husband the Beef Panang which he enjoyed too. One of the very pleasant staff did apologise to us for having to wait for our food but by this time we were so hungry all we wanted to do was eat. We also noticed when customers left they were escorted to the door which is a nice touch but us, as Groupon customers, were just nodded to from behind the counter when we went. I think they need a couple of more staff to hurry things up a bit.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Had dinner at Na Lampang tonight using a groupon offer (two main courses and rice). I was very disappointed from the start. The Resturant is in need of some serious tlc and after telling us the Resturant was fully booked (Resturant was nearly empty at this point) we were seated by the door. The food was slow but the only redeeming part. We both had a curry (lamb was not available), which beside it being runny with a serious lack of meat was quite flavoursome. We were their for over an a hour and must have seen at least 4 groups turned away however the Resturant was still half empty when we left. If you are thinking about visiting I would make sure you book.
In summary terrible setting and average food, I would check out some of the Thai's in Cheltenham.

1  Thank dearmanjames
NaLampang, Owner at Na Lampang, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Dear Manjames,

Thank you for taking the time to review my restaurant. We are truly value the opinions of our customers and we are sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We appreciate all the reviews both the positive and the negative as they all help us to improve whenever we fail to deliver and we always try the best to rectify.
Here at Na Lampang the emphasis is on total customer satisfaction. Unfortunately we cannot turn back the clock.

Firstly, regarding that we were fully booked that night (Tuesday 23th) it’s the honest truth, when you saw empty tables it does not mean that the tables were free- they were ready for the customers who had booked them. However, we are always have at least one table available for walk-in customers which was one by the door if the customer happy with that table, and in your case, you were happy to sat there from started. That’s night, we seriously fully booked (42+ people in house) and we decided to divide our dinner time in two seating at 6.00pm, 6.15pm, 6.30pm and 8.00pm onward (we only have 11 tables in restaurant). As you said ½ place was empty, but those empty tables were reserved for 8.00pm seating. It wouldn’t be fair to our guests that have booked to make them wait because we had accommodated a walk-in customers. And we never rush customers.

Secondly, on the ‘Groupon Deal’ it states clearly that Groupon customers must book and tell the restaurant that they have the Groupon voucher – you didn’t book, but we accommodated you in the best way we could. Also you came about 6.45pm and leave just before 8.00pm – you feel that’s ‘Slow’ but you finished two course meal less than one and half hours, which is quite reasonable for freshly home cooked meal. We always apologised to all customers when food and service been delay, we have about 7-8 tables including your table at the time. The Groupon deal (Two course for two with rice £14 for two) is a very good deal! we more than happy to served you a jug of iced water for two because you did not want to purchase any drink, so you had absolutely nothing to pay in the end. I was sent you and farewell at the door as I always made sure all customers leave happy but was not your case, you went back home and give us a ‘Very Average’ feedback. We were truly sorry for your disappointment but we working very hard and it seems that we can’t please everybody. I wish you would have mentioned your disappointment to us, as it is one of our standard check-backs which we do at each course. That’s night, all our customers happy and enjoyed our food and no one complained – some customers asked ‘are you do Groupon again?’ The negative feedback is meant a lot to us as much as the positive one. They say “People will always remember the bad things you did and always forget the good things you've done”

Lastly, regarding to our ‘Setting’, I understand that you felt it has the ambience of a small, café look alike and terrible setting. However, at this point I can’t improve our setting or décor so I focus on quality of foods and authentic ingredients. This is new, independent family run business (by me) with genuine and hardworking people. I am proud of my real Thai food, and authentic home cooked recipes from my mum. I value all customers, I am ensuring that everyone feel comfortable and feel at home, I treat all customers like family and friends. If you want high glamour, modern, beautiful setting and luxury 5* chain restaurant’s feel, I am sincerely sorry to say, I afraid that I am not the one for you! One thing we've learnt, Food as many things in life are very subjective and also down to personal taste. Here at Na Lampang we take our guests very seriously and in this case we proudly stand by our high quality, authentic Thai food and service. We will keep doing what we love and pride.

Once again, thank you very much for your time and sorry for your disappointed. We wish you all the best.

Regards,