“Well worth a visit”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Monday Closed
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Visited on November 25th with my husband, mother and father in law, Am very glad I checked trip advisor before deciding where to eat.
The service was excellent, and the restaurant is modern and attractive, but retains an indian feel. welcome was friendly and helpful with staff more than willing to help choose a dish.
This was not the typical Indian takeaway fare, beautifully seasoned food, with some wonderfully subtle flavours, We shared the Dosa and some popadoms and chutneys for starters, and it was lovely to get some interesting chutneys instead of the bog standard same old thing one often ends up with.
The main courses we equally good, I opted for the Lamb Varutha Curry, which was subtly spiced in a way that enhanced rather than overpowered, the flavour of the meat, most enjoyable. I just wish I had left room for a dessert!
Will definatly visit again.

1  Thank Bev W

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Called in without a reservation at 8pm on a Saturday night. Aromas was busy but the manager advised give them 10/20 mins and they'd have a table. Time for a quick drink and back we went.
Given a table with plenty of space. Nice selection on the menu. The dhal was particularly flavoursome. The lamb dum byriani tender and the other dishes spiced just right. Not all chilli and no substance. Total bill including a bottle of sparkling water under £30. Attentive but not intrusive service too. Asked regarding options for somebody on a gluten free diet. Apparently always have at least two options and can do more given a little notice. Can even cater for a Jain diet. Excellent!

1  Thank TurboKev
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Whilst on a recent trip to Cheltenham races, and a visit to Gloucester we were hunting for a good Indian restaurant. After looking on TA we came across a local Indian restaurant named Aroma, it had great reviews but more importantly the menu looked inviting. After asking the hotel staff what it was like and getting answers of, I don't know I haven't been there, by three of the staff, and then them trying to point us in the directions of their favourite indians, we still went with our initial gut feeling about booking at Aroma. OMG (in capitals) it was the best decision we made all weekend, and let me tell you we made a few decisions that weekend.

To say that the menu looked inviting is just the first compliment we can give this small but adequately sized for the friendly atmosphere it exudes. The staff are lovely, friendly,and completely affable. Now that being said lets talk food, there is no better way to enjoy your food than to find a restaurant that the food speaks for itself. A modern take on old favourites, the presentation is of the now. The tastes and aromas that are presented out of the kitchen, in my mind are the best I have tasted since (unfortunately she is no longer with us) but since my ex mother-in-law was my mother-in-law. She won awards with her curries and rightly so as they were the best. I don't really know what else to say about this little gem that Gloucester has, but one thing I know, if you do not put this place on your list of places to eat you are missing out on one of Gloucester's best kept secrets.

I hope you go and I know you will not be dissappointed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2  Thank Champagnebay
Reviewed November 21, 2013

visited this lovely place once again after nearly year break. you know what ? nothing changed at all. the same fantastic service and the most important quality of food. been in the other indian raestaurant but nothing to compare with this. beautiful.
real taste of India

1  Thank jani205
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We dropped in last minute yesterday evening without knowing you were one of the most highly rated restaurants in Gloucester. I just wanted to thank you for your wonderful service- It is so lovely to be greeted by the waiting staff with a smile and treated with such politeness and kindness. My meal was one of the best curries I have ever tasted and your staff made it a wonderful evening. We will definitely be back for more!

1  Thank disgruntled095