“A surprise”

Ranked #46 of 330 Restaurants in Gloucester
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Toby Carvery at Highnam. When it comes to roast dinners, we really know our stuff. Every day our chefs lay on a feast of tender, hand-carved meats with all the trimmings – including towering Yorkshire puds, golden roasties with all those lovely little crunchy bits, and plenty of freshly prepared veg, all crowned with proper gravy. So it's no wonder we're Gloucester’s favourite carvery restaurant. Drop by and you'll find lots more on offer, including cooked breakfasts and tasty specials.
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Cheap food, grumpy staff and cool repaste - that's what most carveries seem to offer. Not the Gloucester Toby.
Once known as the Dog at Over, this Toby has friendly staff, hot meals - and juicy food.
Eating out without a reservation on a Sunday evening may not be wise, but we got away with it the other day. The moistest turkey, beef that roast on the outside and deep red inside, while the gammon was to fight for.
All in all an excellent meal, and one I would hgihly recommend.
Just one thing - it is cheap!

1  Thank gl8246
There are newer reviews for Toby Carvery Highnam

Reviewed December 1, 2013

A great place to call in when your Hungary, make sure you get there before 5.00pm to assure a seat, it's very busy place which is very popular, and the food is plentiful and good value. I must also say that the staff are very friendly and helpful. So it's a must to visit. The food is great.
I would give it a 4 Star rating.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

As a vegetarian, when my friend (A fellow veggie) suggested that we go to the Carvery for lunch, I was appalled. She spent the rest of the week trying to convince me otherwise, and I eventually conceded, though I was not looking forward to it! Boy was I surprised! The Carvery is so veggie friendly, it's almost ridiculous. All of the veg offered by them, was entirely vegetarian, meaning that it was not prepared using any animal fat. Even the potatoes were roasted in vegetable oil! And if that wasn't good enough, the Cravey also have a vegetarian gravy for those who require it! The Broccoli and Stilton Parcel is the option both my friend and I always go with, and it is the perfect compliment to the veg and gravy. For all that, and a refillable drink, it costs me no more than £9. £9!!! All in all, I couldn't ask for more from the Carvery! I'm always excited to go there, and I'm extremely appreciative of the measures they go to to provide a delicious dining experience for everyone, including us Veggies!

THANK YOU!

1  Thank Victoria T
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Been here several times as live locally and the food is always of the same standard. The meat is well cooked and you can request how you would like it carved, the vegetables are kept hot and regularly replenished and the gravy is tasty. An excellent place for a meal but not for staying on afterwards as they do like to clear and re-use the tables, only downside as mentioned in previous reviews is the toilets - best avoided if possible!

Reviewed November 22, 2013

stopped on the way through gloucester had to wait about 25 minutes for a table due to it being so busy (good sign) it was well worth it 9.49 for a carvery with as much veg gravy potatoes as you could eat.toilets need a refurb but other wise great.