Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The hotel isn't beautiful from the outside but inside was rather better. Although not a wildly central location (you'll not want to walk into town from here, but it's only a few minutes by car) I would certainly stay again.

The staff were very helpful, we had zero issues with service / food / cleanliness, the room was a steal - we went deluxe because the price was great - and it was a good buy all round.

Room Tip: Didn't try the spa
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
OperationsMK, Manager at Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback via Tripadvisor.

I was great to read that you an enjoyable stay with us and found the food, service and cleanliness to be of a high standard.

Once again many thanks for taking the time to leave such positive feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We booked this hotel as we were having my work Christmas party there. The room was comfortable and very close to the reception/party area and all amenities. The pool/spa area was very nice and was very quiet and so we had a relaxing time in the jacuzzi/steam room/sauna. The only downside was that I wanted to book a facial treatment (I enquired several weeks in advance to book this) but was unable to as all the therapists had been given the weekend off! The breakfast was very lovely, in fact, I think it was the best cooked breakfast I had ever had in any hotel!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave such excellent feedback via Tripadvisor.

It was great to read that you had a relaxing and enjoyable with us and found our breakfast to be one of the best! And I have passed these comments on the relevant departments to make sure that they keep up the good work.

Once again thank you for leaving such positive feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We booked into this hotel for a twixmas break. We booked 2 rooms, both perfectly acceptable. I'm not sure how the rooms are allocated but the family room we shared with our youngest was plusher and a few extras were provided. The pool facilities were very good, and we specifically chose the hotel for this reason. The opening hours were lengthy which meant that we could spend time in the surrounding area but still allow the children a swim on our return. It wasn't easy to book spa treatments in advance (email request not replied to) and I could't work around the remaining slots. As a tip, if a treatment is on your to do list, ring the spa direct, the prices were very reasonable. We ate in the restaurant on the first night and meals and service were good, with a few vegetarian options. My only comment would be that prices were maybe a little high given the no. of cheap eateries in the area. Holiday inn do offer free kids menu meals to the under 12s which is a bonus. The breakfast was plentiful and everything you would generally want was available. There was a wedding being catered for one night which did mean a lot of corridor noise until quite early hours, but this isn't something a hotel can easily control. I feel the service was very good, very helpful staff and very pleasant. Overall, if I needed to stay in the area I would use this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback via Tripadvisor.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and identified some great points I am also very pleased you enjoyed the spa facilities and found the food service to be excellent. I will feedback all your comments to the relevant departments to make sure that they keep up the good work!

Once again thank you for taking the time to leave such Positive feedback, and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We booked into the Holiday Inn as we were attending a wedding there. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. We requested extra pillows which were with us in what appeared to be 5 minutes.

The room was clean, bigger than expected and had an adjoining door as requested for access to our daughter's room.

We had requested a groundfloor room as my wife is disabled and this was not a problem.

The evening of the wedding a group of us got together in the bar for a few drinks, a little expensive but nothing more than expected for a hotel. The staff were again very friendly, and very understanding when our daughter went to the bar (she has special needs).

The wedding was a great success, the organisation put into it by the staff, the food and the overall experience were outstanding. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
OperationsMK, Manager at Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave such positive feedback on Tripadvisor.

It was great to read that you found the food and overall experience of your stay to be outstanding. And have passed these comments onto the relevant departments to make sure that they keep up good work.

Once again it was great to read such positive comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Gloucester in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed January 9, 2013

As a platinum priority club member I have stayed in a lot of Holiday Inns, some excellent, some not so good but none as awful as this place. 63 Holiday inn stays in the past year and now this is my last. I stayed here earlier in the year and vowed not to return. However, I found myself in Gloucester and being loyal to the brand decided I would give it a second chance. Check in was unpleasant. Miserable staff member with a couldn't care less attitude. No priority club recognition,. I asked about an upgrade and was told this was an executive room. I checked in to what was obviously not an executive room but a family room with a double bed, a sofa bed made up as a double and an extra made up single bed. A room sleeping 5 people for single occupancy is a bit stupid. I called down to say this was not an executive room. I was rudely informed it was! I asked where then were the executive touches (bathrobe, upgraded toiletries, water etc) to which I was told we class family rooms as executive. I asked if I could move to an exec room and was bluntly told no as we are full. Do they really think people are so stupid that they won't go online to check what rooms can be booked and see both exec and delux are available? Far easier just to lie as can't be bothered. Eventually, she grudging agreed to send up bathrobes etc but they never arrived. Later, I asked if I could get some feather pillows and I was told these would be sent up but like the bathrobes they failed to arrive. The bathroom was nothing short of disgusting. The bath was filthy, the tile grout black and mouldy and the toilet flush hanging off the wall. After I cleaned the bath it took 32 minutes to run a bath with the pathetic water pressure. The shower in the morning was equally as bad, nothing more than a dribble. Everything about this hotel is done on the cheap - toilet paper one stage softer than newspaper, no biscuits and towels so small they were not much bigger than face cloths. Check out had a different miserable staff member who was programmed to ask if I enjoyed my stay. When I said no she just said well email if you want to complain. The cost of one nights stay, room only, was £117.00 a total rip off! Holiday inn should be ashamed to have this hell hole in their brand. From now on I will stay at Premier Inn. They may be a budget brand but so much better in every way than this excuse for a full service hotel.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank Andy C
OperationsMK, Manager at Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on Tripadvisor.

I am very sorry that your recent stay at our hotel did not meet your expectations. Please be assured that your comments about the hotel have been taken on board and acted upon. I have already discussed your review with my team as your experience with us was not only unacceptable but far away from our usual standard and that which we are striving to achieve for which I apologise again.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

After reading the reviews I was worried about staying here. However I need not have worried- rooms were very clean, perhaps a little small but given the price I don't see how you could expect more.

Good breakfast and leisure facilities were really good. Pool, sauna and steam room were all really warm.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Travelottie

Thank you for taking the time to leave such positive feedback via Tripadvisor

It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed using our spa facilities that you found to be really good, along with our breakfast! I have passed on your comments to make sure that the departments keep us the good work that they are doing.

Once again many thanks for taking the time to leave feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed in this Hotel as part of her Work's Christmas Party. We were initially very impressed with the low price of a room, especially when compared to the price I've paid at other Holiday Inns. However when we saw the room we realised why it was cheap; the price was half that of other Holiday Inns but the room was half the size! While the room was clean and well maintained it there was very little room around the bed. Lighting in the bed area had only one setting: dim! and the bed itself wasn't very comfortable.
Bathroom was fine. Quite small but clean and tidy with a bath and shower (though the shampoo and shower gel provided was poor quality and in tiny quantities).
As in other Holiday Inns WiFi charges are extortionate and are charged in an escalating scale from an hour to 24 hours. With many other hotels providing high speed wifi for free, when will Holiday Inn move into the 21st Century!? This alone is enough to put me off staying in any Holiday Inn.
We didn't use the gym, but the pool and spa was a little worn around the edges. The sauna door didn't close properly so it was only 40 degrees C when we went in. There was also no water fountain or drinking water provided which I found surprising.
We ate as part of a huge Christmas party of 120+ people eating from a pre-ordered set menu, so I don't think it would be fair to judge the quality of the food provided as a barometer of the food in the restaurant. Breakfast however was fine with food served from a well stocked cold and hot buffet.
The only other real plus for the place was the staff who on the whole were friendly and courteous.
I will not be coming back though.

Room Tip: Ours was on the ground floor and was tiny. Maybe others are better and bigger!?
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DenimGeek
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear Martyr_Icke,

Thank you for your review of our property. I am glad to know that you found our staff to be friendly and accommodating to your needs. However, I would like to apologize that you found your stay less than satisfactory due to the issues you experienced with the room and WiFi services. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we will use your comments to improve our efforts.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
#8 of 21 in Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards

Been to Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham? Share your experiences!