“A Toast to 'On Toast'!”

Ranked #8 of 340 Restaurants in Gloucester
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I've never bothered to write a review on such a small establishment but for 'On Toast' I had to make an exception.

What a simple but brilliant idea. Went to 'On Toast' last October and thought then how different it was to the usual take-aways such as Subway, McDonalds, etc. We had the Fiery Welsh Dragon (cheese with tabasco sauce) toastie and a couple of rounds of ordinary toast, both of which were really good and tasty. Went again as it's half term this week and had the Hunters Chicken toastie and ordinary toast on brown bread with a coffee and a coke to drink. We were welcomed inside and given recommendations as to what we would enjoy. As we were waiting for our order the owner and assistant were really friendly and chatty. The owner obviously has a lot of interesting local knowledge. When the toastie arrived it was absolutely full to the brim with cheese, chicken and bacon and the brown bread was absolutely gorgeous. It was so filling, although we went at about 11.30, I couldn't eat another thing all day. Would certainly recommend this as somewhere different to go for a change.

To sum up, in case you haven't gathered: Our welcome was brilliant, the toasties were brilliant and the staff were brilliant. I certainly hope this continues to be a successful venture as we will be going more often now.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

The cafe name gives it away. They do every kind of toasted sandwich under the sun. They do weekly specials and themed specials. Current theme is a Creme Egg toastie. If you're adventurous try the Satans Revenge with Scotch Bonnet Sauce. Great value and cooked fresh whilst you wait. There's seating inside and out.

1  Thank ZippyManiac
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We were out on a family cycle ride which encompassed a visit to Gloucester Docks and fancied a coffee. We chose 'On Toast' as it came well recommended by friends of my daughter and son in law. . The selection of toasted sandwich fillings are amazing and many. Having owned a sandwich toaster in the mists of time, I stretched to cheese and on occasion, the more exotic cheese and onion. This was truly an epiphany. I had a 'smoky Joe', (smoked ham, mozzarella, egg with mayo), my son in law and grandson had the 'Swedish' (meatballs, mozzarella). The pudding toastie (Mars bar) was a revelation.We enjoyed fast pleasant service all reasonably priced. Sat on the side of the basin, on a sunny but cool December afternoon a very pleasant experience. Well worth a visit if you're in Gloucester Docks and fancy a new experience.

Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

I first went to On Toast with my wife roughly 2 months ago and after I tasted their toasties I haven't stopped since. I have also come to know Dave and Tom who always welcome you with a friendly smile and service.

Great place, you'll not be disappointed.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

On Toast is a fun little place located in the middle of Gloucester Docks. Despite it being tiny, the toasties I've tried from there have been delicious. The Mars Bar toastie is worth the walk alone! The staff are always friendly and the prices are brilliant!

If you fancy a snack, meal, or something sweet, I would highly recommend On Toast.