“Good pub fabulous building ”

Robert Raikes House
Ranked #71 of 423 Restaurants in Gloucester
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A public house with 7 separate rooms and a wonderful courtyard beer garden, serving food throughout the day
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Good food very friendly staff fabulous building nice beer

Dropped in for pie and pint lunch sat in delightful courtyard very pleasant location with attentive helpful staff

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (273)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I visited this place this evening with my partner for a quiet drink. This must rank as THE most unfriendly and unwelcoming pub that I have ever visited! Very few customers scattered around a few rooms. The rooms were very pleasant, but the wasp that the barmaid appeared to have swallowed probably wasn’t! We bought two drinks - one bottle of chocolate stout and one organic lager - 45p short of a tenner! This is Gloucester, not London! We then made our way into one of the side rooms, where one other customer was sat in a chair on his own. The atmosphere was more like a library circa 1970, where it felt rude to speak in more than a whisper. After he left the room we were checking a few things on our mobile phones when the sullen barmaid/manager came in to rearrange the furniture in a manner that suggested that we were not welcome in this establishment. She then informed us that we were not allowed to use our mobiles or tablet in the pub, as Samuel Smith had decreed that this should be the way that these type of pubs are run. There was nobody else in the room!!!!!! I pointed out that there were no visible signs to highlight the fact that modern gadgets were not allowed. I then googled this policy on my tablet , in front of her, so this must have been allowed . She was correct, as I found an article from March 2019 saying that Samuel Smith was encouraging the a return to the convivial atmosphere of the traditional pub. All very well, but obviously not working as the place was nearly empty! As far as I am concerned we were not annoying anybody else, as there was nobody else. However, my biggest gripe was the incredibly rude service and lack of hospitality at such high prices.

Date of visit: September 2019
1  Thank Huw T
Reviewed August 31, 2019

Stopped here for lunch with our son today. All three of us enjoyed the food - steak and ale pie for me, fish and chips for my other half and scampi for my son. Also had a very nice fruit beer.
As our son has recently moved into this area, I think we will definitely be paying this pub a few visits in the future.

Reviewed August 26, 2019 via mobile

Beautifully decorated interior of this fine Old establishment. Sat in one of the sitting rooms to stay out of the sunshine. A really peaceful room. Just what was required. Ordered tea and coffee which was lovely and a snack between us of large nachos. The lady behind the bar chuckled when we ordered as earlier another customer had kicked off because the nachos had no jalapeños. I appreciate that this is up there in terms of worldwide and national conflicts... I mean come on... Seriously. Was it worth kicking off over something that wasn't listed on the ingredients of the nachos anyway....
The manager brought our nachos out and to be honest they were arguably the best I've eaten. Proper melted mature cheese with guacamole, salsa and sour cream. I love jalapeños personally but I had read the menu and saw that they were not on there previous to ordering.
The manager was a lovely man and very courteous. We had a laugh and a joke with him and thanked him for his hospitality.
Will definitely return next time we are in Gloucester.

Reviewed August 20, 2019

Visiting Gloucester for a few days from London- popped in for a leisurely drink. I Love exploring the old historic pubs and this one is that! We found it had a comfortable, relaxing atmosphere (Sunday afternoon)- plenty of places to sit- I was partial to the small back room just before the garden- friendly staff !