“So disappointed”

Cuisines: British, Bar, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

This is our local pub, granted we don't go often, perhaps once every 6 weeks but it's good to have a pub moreorless on our doorstep that serves good grub, we've never been disappointed. So what's happened? We both ordered fish and chips which are usually fantastic as we know from the past the fish is fresh and locally bought. Food arrived very quickly. I couldn't cut into my fish so assumed it hadn't been taken off the bone, turns out was filleted but weirdly one side of the fish was tough?? We ate what we could and informed the waiter that this time the food was disappointing, he said he's report back to the kitchen and find out. We finished our drinks 10 minutes or so later and he hadn't returned so we left, we did tell staff at the bar what had happened. The kitchen had the opportunity to explain, we did say we lived in the village as we thought they might care about their immediate reputation,obviously not, what a shame. My guess is the fish had been defrosted and allowed to partially cook by mistake. We'll drive further to Blaisdon next time.

3  Thank sarahliv
There are newer reviews for The Apple Tree Inn

Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

After Going To This Restaurant/Pub About X5 Weeks Ago I Was So Impressed With The Quality Of Food I Returned With My Friend Who Felt The Same Regarding Her Last Visit. I Recommended The Steak To Her As My Last Steak Was Fantastic, However On This Occasion Matters Took A Turn For The Worst.
Firstly I Ordered Deep Fried Brie With A Redcurrant Sauce, Or Similar. All Was Okay With The Starter With The Exception Of The Sauce. It Was A Warm, Red Liquid With A Toxic Odour. When I Dipped Some Cheese Into It, I Found It To Be The Consistency Of Water & Not A Dip/Sauce. I Coughed As I Swallowed, As It Was About 100 Proof. It Was Like Somebody Had Poured Whiskey Into A Pot & Warmed It Slightly, Very String Alcohol & No Taste Of Sauce. It Was Replaced After I Requested A Redcurrant Sauce Without A Strong Whiskey & That Came Out As 'Normal'.
My Main Course Eventually Arrived After A Short Delay (Not An Issue) & It Was A Sirloin Steak & As Requested Cooked To A Medium Texture. When It Arrived It Looked Like Dried Out Shoe Leather With A Very Tough Texture, It Had Been Charred Around The Sides. It Was Accompanied By A Stilton Sauce Which Was Rather Runny, But Tasty All The Same. To My Horror At The Bottom Of The Sauce I Saw An Object, About The Size Of A Two Pence Piece. It Turned Out To Be A Rogue Piece Of Plain White Meat & Nothing To Do With My Meal Or Sauce, It Was Hard & Pale On Close Inspection & Clearly Shouldn't Have Been In There?
I'm Stunned By The Drastic Change In Quality Since My Initial Visit Some X5 Weeks Ago & Feel Sad This Time Was A Huge Let Down. The Pub Is A Lovely Place, But Whoever The Chef Was In The Kitchen This Particular Evening Must Have Been Having A Funny Turn, All In All Very Bizzarre & Disappointing.
No I Didn't Say Anything That Night, Why? Because I Was Tired Out & Couldn't Be Bothered To Upset Anyone.

3  Thank Studley75
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We called in for an early lunch, as we were passing. When we arrived there were a few people already dining. We were greeted by friendly and efficient staff. The menu was extensive and there were plenty if choices for vegetarians, which made a pleasant change. The food arrived quickly, and was beautifully presented, and tasted divine! The restaurant was filling quickly whilst we ate, so it may be worth booking a table to guarantee a seat, and the service may not be quite as quick when full, but I don't know. The portions were plentiful but not overwhelming, and a gentleman on the next table has a choice from the senior citizen specials board, which was not scrimped on in any way. We will definitely go back again for an evening meal.

1  Thank SharedThoughts
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Today we discovered The Apple Tree and found the food and service were excellent...The homemade pies were very generous portion sizes as were the homemade burgers which use local meat.As for the desserts they are to die for if you have a sweet tooth . I really was impressed and look forward to going again .

Reviewed August 8, 2013

First time and last visit. Drinks were fine but wine glass was chipped and dirty, did change it on request. Food bland, little choice , did not enjoy one bit. It was not busy, not surprised.

2  Thank angie w