“wonderful food”

Taste of Thai
Ranked #209 of 330 Restaurants in Gloucester
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: We are located opposite the historic docks in Gloucester city, where you can enjoy a truly mouth-watering taste of Thailand in a warm friendly and relaxed atmosphere. Providing you with a hundreds enjoyable dishes for everyone. All dishes are freshly cooked as order by our passionate Thai chef using the finest and freshest ingredients available from Gloucester local market and finest Thai herbs imported from Thailand. We hope you will enjoy a great eating experience.
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I wanted to tell eveyone of our experience. The moment we walked in to the taste of thai we were made to feel welcome, we were seated and had exceptionally attentive staff but not overly intrusive. The food we went for was a set menu of prawn toasts, fishcakes ect and were divine. The mains arrived and we wre overwelmed at the portions and dishes served, all looked good and equally tasted amazing also. We will be going back as it is such an overlooked restaurant as not set in a great area of town, but still the food and ambiance should not be overlooked.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is the second time I've visited this restaurant. My husband and I enjoyed both the food and service on both occasions. The staff are so friendly and welcoming and the food delicious. I had the chicken pad thai and it was one of the best I've had. We usually go into cheltenham if we are eating out as gloucester has such a poor selection of decent restaurants, but not this one, its perfect. we"ll defiantly be back more often.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Spent a long time dithering about where to eat (whether to go to a more expensive Thai restaurant that I knew was delicious or opt for here, a cheaper place and hope it was okay) before eventually deciding on Taste of Thai and I'm so glad I did. It is quite small inside and nothing fancy but decorated with asian touches (lots of elephants etc!)

As soon as we arrived, the lovely lady was keen to make us very comfortable- asked where we would like to sit, if we were warm enough, what drinks we would like, and brought out a selection of prawn crackers. The menu was fantastic, all the typical dishes to choose from with a choice of ingredients (beef, broccoli, chicken, king prawn, tofu, veg etc etc). There were also amazing sounding speciality dishes- not one sounded like it wouldn't be delicious! And following that, there was a set evening menu for £9.95 which included a small plate of mixed starters, curry/stir fry with rice or a noodle dish.

I had a chicken and veg stir fry in black bean sauce with ginger (£5.95) and rice. Due to the fact I'm not a big meat eater, I asked if I could only have a bit of chicken, and the lady kindly offered to cut it down to a half portion and bulk it up with extra veg- just what I wanted.

The meals were all absolutely delicious - friends had a yellow curry & a massaman curry. The fact that they were so cheap made them even more delicious! It's so nice to see a small business stick with such brilliant prices and not be tempted to up them like everyone else.. it just makes me want to go back more and more and support them.

After the meal, the lady kindly offered to split the bill for us to make it easier as we all wanted to pay separately. Although we were left to eat our meal in peace (I say although, but it was actually nice to just get on with our meal without people hovering around which is what I find sometimes happens in smaller and quieter restaurants!) we were made to feel so welcome and comfortable. I will definitely be going back, and I highly recommend it to everyone who is looking for a delicious meal at a bargain of a price.

I haven't marked the bar scene very high in my rating, but that is because it is much more about the restaurant than the bar, and I was only there for the food!

Norkaran, Owner at Taste of Thai, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

None of the dishes awere bad but they just didn't have that much flavour or taste to them. The Tom Yum soup was good though, pretty spicy. Service was very friendly.

1  Thank andrewjohnporter
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The food here was pretty average. The chicken was rubbery and the curry sauce extremely oily. It was pretty cheap though. For two of us, including a couple of beers, the bill came to around £45 - with a starter each.

The main problem with this establishment is its location. It is in quite a rough part of town with lots of strange folk wandering up and down the street. I would not recommend for individuals or small groups.

1  Thank Tom W