“Average food, terrible location.”
Review of Taste of Thai

Taste of Thai
Ranked #207 of 330 Restaurants in Gloucester
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: We are located opposite the historic docks in Gloucester city, where you can enjoy a truly mouth-watering taste of Thailand in a warm friendly and relaxed atmosphere. Providing you with a hundreds enjoyable dishes for everyone. All dishes are freshly cooked as order by our passionate Thai chef using the finest and freshest ingredients available from Gloucester local market and finest Thai herbs imported from Thailand. We hope you will enjoy a great eating experience.
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The food here was pretty average. The chicken was rubbery and the curry sauce extremely oily. It was pretty cheap though. For two of us, including a couple of beers, the bill came to around £45 - with a starter each.

The main problem with this establishment is its location. It is in quite a rough part of town with lots of strange folk wandering up and down the street. I would not recommend for individuals or small groups.

1  Thank Tom W

Reviewed January 27, 2013

This was my second visit to this restaurant and having had an excellent experience last time I was hoping for the same again. Pleased to say everything was fantastic once again. The food was delicious, very inexpensive and the staff were delightful. Will probably start going here more regularly since I cannot fault a single thing about it.

1  Thank LadyHelenJenkins
Norkaran, Owner at Taste of Thai, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Come here all the time, beautiful food and relaxed atmosphere. Chicken panang and satay chicken is second to none, the previous review must be written by a moaner who didn't read his menu correctly :D

1  Thank Shaneyg9

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We visited this restaurant a few nights ago, having walked past it a few times on our trip to Gloucester. The menu seemed pretty comprehensive and reasonably priced, and it looked like a nice, intimate restaurant, and soon after we arrived we had the place to ourselves.
We shared a starter platter, which was pretty much what we expected - a fried assortment of spring rolls, fish cakes etc. However, I can safely say that the main course was the most disappointing pad thai dishes I've ever had. Firstly, it was served with a slice of lemon on the side - when I asked for a slice of lime it turned out there was absolutely none in the kitchen or bar. The chicken tasted not very fresh, there were very few noodles in this noodle-based dish and I'm not convinced that the sauce was home-made. On top of this, there was a very noticeable coconutty taste to the pad thai, which implies that the cooking utensils were not cleaned between dishes. I ate about a dozen mouthfuls, which considering I usually clear a plate, says something about the food. The quality of my partner's meal was also below what we expected, with the meat being almost indelible and the ingredients being skimped on. Admittedly he ordered sweet and sour, but it was mostly just....sour.

When the waitress was alerted to the problem, we were left alone for about ten minutes, and when the cook eventually appeared, were told that he could take half the price off the pad thai as it would be "unfair" for us to not pay for food - that I was clearly dissatisfied with and had barely touched. After this, we were ignored for another ten minutes, after which we went to the bar to pay. We ended up paying the total cost of the meal, as there seemed to be a lot of miscommunication between the kitchen and the waitresses, and by this point we just wanted to leave.

Perhaps all the staff were having an off day, perhaps there were issues in the kitchen that we weren't aware of, but there is a minimum standard of food quality and of service I expect, that 'Taste of Thai' fell short of. I know enough about Thai food and about professional and courteous customer service to be truly disappointed in our experience.

2  Thank aard_86
Norkaran, Owner at Taste of Thai, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2013

On the Plus side, They like the beer. Yeah!!
On the pad Thai we have lemon on the side.It say on the menu. if you really like lime so much next time before you come can you call us that you want a lime. we will try to get it for you.we do not stock lime.Someday we have it but not on that day unfortunately. It is a home-made Pad Thai sauce. and it is very lovely sauce. We will show how to cook it if you want to see how we made it.
I did notice the bill after you left. you should tell the waitress if you notice the incorrect bill.
Sweet and sour sauce is also home-made I am sure we put sugar in the sauce and i am sure it taste sweet and sour.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I came here during the week for a meal. The food was nice. I had fried tofu, thai red curry and chocolate ice cream. The service was good and the prices were reasonable. The restaurant was nice and warm inside too. I'd recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank Lou856
Norkaran, Owner at Taste of Thai, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013