“Weekend away”

Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
London
“Weekend away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

Just returned from The Hallmark Hotel in Glouchester and I can not ignore but post a review .
From the moment we arrived , even tough was before check in time we were looked after by a friendly receptionist who explained everything about the hotel and double checked our spa booking times and dinner as well .
The room was spotless clean , large and comfortable bed . The SPA treatments were the best we had . Tapas looked amazing but the dinner was the highlight of our stay .
Fantastic food served by professional and attentive staff . Had after dinner drinks in the bar wich were reasonably priced .
Breakfast was great . Large selection of continental and cooked food and despite being very busy as you might expect the staff were very efficient offering varieties of coffe and tea wich was surprising . We left the hotel extremely happy and very impressed .
The hotel management clearly knows how to run the business .
We will definitely comeback and recommend .

Room Tip: On the second floor .
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Daniel M
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Thank you for the great review, it is fantastic to learn that you enjoyed your visit! Please come back and see us again in the very near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

Easy, polite check in and out. Room fine, if a bit austere. Comfortable bed and decent bathroom. Food was good one night and slightly mediocre the next, however, service was fast and attentive. Buffet lunch boring and overpriced at £15. Commendable enough breakfast and I was offered and got fresh tea when I needed it. Small range of wines acceptable - but the place is a little expensive for drinks generally. Pool large, quirky, but easy to use - oddly situated for a few hotel residents who might have to go through the bar to get there. Note that there is £5 hire charge for a robe (you won't find one in your room).

Room Tip: There is building going on in close proximity to the hotel (April 2014). May be sensible to ask for...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for your balanced and constructive feedback, it is always helpful to receive helpful comments. We hope you will still be back to visit us again very soon.
Aldershot
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

Stayed here for a Saturday night. Located on the outskirts of Gloucester. Hotel was very busy but the staff coped well with several party groups and didn't neglect their other customers. Spa was busy but still usable. They have many jacuzzis but there was also room in bother sauna and steam room.

Room reasonable size and comfortable. Recent decoration and bathroom nicely finished.

Reception staff good.

We ate at the restaurant. Pleasantly surprised with quality and innovation on the menu. Food cooked well and tasty. Service maintained despite being busy. They do a 3 course meal for 22GBP if you book at reception.

Would stay there again

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us this fantastic feedback. We hope that you will be back to visit us gain in the very near future.
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

My mum, sister and I came for a girls/family spa night away. Dinner, bed, breakfast and use of spa facilities and a treatment in the beauty rooms- £69 each. Quite a good deal we thought.

Dinner was lovely, 3 courses and a glass of bubbles as we mentioned we were celebrating something. Staff were lovely and genuine. Probably the best part of our stay was the whole evening. The next morning we had lots of choice at breakfast, English fry up, fruit, pastries, toast, cereal and lots of juices etc. rooms were clean and modern and nicely designed. Spa- Pool needs updating a bit, quite small and tired and worn looking. Our treatments felt a bit rushed and cut short. We were booked in at 4pm for a 25 minute treatment, we're taken through about 4.05, left in the beauty room to 'get sorted' for at least 4-5 minutes and treatment was finished before 4.30pm. It felt we were given less because we had a good deal with the rest of our stay. That said, the massage I had was really lovely.

All in all, a good pleasant stay for the money but wouldn't go again unless the same offer was up for grabs but cheaper!

Stayed April 2014
Although it is great to learn that you enjoyed almost all aspects of your stay, I regret that there were some issues. Treatment times do include the time for meeting, greeting and administration but I assure you we do not in any way allocate time on package value. I hope you will come and see us again.
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

Having specifically requested a quiet, dark double room, I was allocated a room with two single beds zipped together. Nothing is more uncomfortable. You ask for a double room for a reason but this hotel doesn't seem to understand the difference. I was therefore moved to another room that was as hot as a sauna which was directly above the squash courts and all you could hear was the sound of a ball hitting the walls. This had stopped by the time I came back from dinner to be replaced by the sound of the TV in the next room. I could not actually see my own TV because it was on too low a table. Eventually getting to sleep, I was rudely awoken by staff moving empty beer barrels outside my window at 6am.

The next night I was moved to another room on the other side of the hotel, where you could here people in the next room using the toilet and shower. The free wifi signal was too poor in this room so you couldn't have done any work here if you wanted to.

The buffet breakfast is a nightmare experience. The staff seem to spend all their time in the kitchen and every time I was stood waiting for ten minutes waiting to be seated. The cleaning materials are in full display and rather off-putting if you are seated near the desk. The hot plates are so badly organised that all the food items are contaminated - beans in the scrambled egg (and vice versa); the same tongs used for grilled tomatoes as for mushroom and fried bread.

The evening meals are very expensive for what they are. The room service menu has too few items on it. No desserts and no list of drinks, but every bottle of wine they stock - it would seem they think we are alcoholics.

It is also one of those hotels that has no sound-proofing between the rooms despite being built in the modern era. Don't stay here if any member of your party is mobility impaired. There are stairs everywhere and no lifts.

The most shocking event however was when I was complaining to a manager was the reply that came saying well it would have to be the night staff because it's only men allowed to move the barrels. And this was from the HR manager, the most sexist comment I have heard in years.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
I sincerely regret that your experience was not as enjoyable as it should have been. Although some of the issues you ave highlighted are personal choice or out of our control, we do always hope that our guests leave us with expectations exceeded and there is no excuse for any shortfall in our service standards. I hope that you will contact me directly so that I may have the chance to improve your lasting impression of the Hallmark Gloucester.

Travelers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

My mother bought us a voucher to use as a gift for our anniversary.

Wouldn't go again as it wasn't so good. There was faeces in the pool and hair in the food.

The rooms are very basic and the restaurant over priced. I feel like the staff would rather be somewhere else.

The massage I had was great though!!

• Stayed February 2014
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
I was shocked and disappointed to read your review of the hotel. We of course cannot guarantee that cleanliness issues will not occur being a family friendly club, I assume and hope that when these issues were brought to our attention they were addressed immediately and I apologize that all was not correct when you visited. Our restaurant is priced to offer the best quality and price in the local four star market, being competitive with the high street so I am afraid we cannot offer any more of a discount.,
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 1 night for a relaxing night away and we were looking forward to a lovely spa weekend. Sadly we were disappointed. Don't be fooled by the glossy photo of the front of the building as the rest of it looks like a youth hostel and there's a massive building site next door! Our room was situated opposite this building site (not a nice view) and next to the hotel bins where I was woken up at 6am to people moving beer barrels outside. The room was small- nothing like the lovely photos online and the showers power was pathetic.

When we entered the room we were disappointed and there was only 1 towel (for a double room) and no batteries in the remote?! We were hoping that the town would be easy to access as it said only 2 miles away but that was a 20 min drive or a £10 taxi... Something we could deal with but others may want to consider.

The hotel itself is nice but definitely not worth the money!! We went to the spa today... Majorly disappointed!! It wasn't a relaxing spa more like a Butlins swimming pool with kids jumping about, with a grubby looking pool/jacuzzi and it just looked tired, so did the changing rooms.

The breakfast was nice apart from the fact we had to wait 10 mins as they ran out of food. Would we stay here again? No. It was overpriced and an average hotel, to be honest, we've stayed nicer places which were a lot cheaper! Be careful with the building site if you stay during the week too!

Rather disappointing.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rachie H
I sincerely apologize for where we have fallen short of our high standards. Although we can never be to everyone's tastes, it is obvious we made some mistakes during your visit and I hope you will contact me directly so that I can investigate fully your issues.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings
The Edward Hotel
The Edward Hotel
#8 of 21 in Gloucester

Been to Hallmark Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!