“Nice hotel, location average”

Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Reviewed February 17, 2014

This hotel was lovely, we booked after spotting an amazon local offer and stayed for just one night. With the voucher we had breakfast and afternoon tea thrown in. Afternoon was real nice (sandwiches, cakes, tea) and breakfast an all you eat buffet (hot and cold foods). We also made use of the gym and the pool whilst we were there before eating out in Gloucester in the evening. Room well decorated, nice and warm with a comfy bed and all the freebies thrown in. Would stay again, although not much to do in the surrounding area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Thank you for the fantastic review, it is great to learn that you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to seeing you back with us again very soon.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Room is tidy and comfortable. Tge only complaint is the glass in the bathroom door - mirror image of yourself using the toilet isn't nice! Our food was spectacular, the best meal we've had in a long time, for a particularly fussy eater like myself that's high praise indeed. Breakfast choice was very full and delicious .Highly recommended :)

• Stayed: February 2014
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

Thank you for the great review, it is fantastic to learn that you enjoyed your recent visit with us. We look forward to you coming back very soon.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

We recently had a one-night spa break stay at the Hallmark Hotel in celebration of my mum's 70th birthday. I have to start by emphasizing that the hotel itself is really lovely, and the service of both Timea and Jade on reception was exceptional, as was that of the restaurant team. However, the spa hugely lets down the hotel, and almost doesn't seem to be the same establishment.

The pool area has dirty, dated white tiling that makes it feel more like a council leisure centre, with rusty, lime-scaled metal edging in places. The hot tubs weren't all that hot, so difficult to relax, and the water looked drab and dirty because of the unfinished tiling underneath. A few loungers around the edge of the pool helped create a spa-like atmosphere, but on the whole it was quite disappointing.

We booked treatments as part of the Couples Retreat package. Firstly, the treatment area shares a back wall with the squash court - so you can imagine the bouncing noises. Secondly, my massage experience was awful. The young girl who gave the treatment not only talked at me about her personal life throughout the entire massage, including personal information about medical troubles and operations her family had had, she also asked me mid-treatment what the operation was for, that I had declared to her in pre-treatment consultation.

Of course, the girl could not have known that the reason for our trip was to relieve my mother from her caring duties for my sick father, nor that my operation had been an upsetting time personally - both of which contributed. However, common social decency should prevent asking about these situations in a professional setting, let alone in a relaxation treatment. In fact, talking at all throughout treatments of this kind is not something I have ever experienced previously, as it makes it very hard to relax and enjoy the massage. I felt very short-changed. At the time there was no-one on salon reception to feed back to. I appreciate that this was my personal experience, however, I would be surprised that they were not more complaints about this particular staff member.

In short, it is such a shame that the fabulous professionalism and hospitality of the hotel facilities and its staff was so thoroughly let down and mismatched in the facilities and professionalism of the spa.

Please do go for the hotel - it's wonderful, as is the food. Go somewhere else for a spa.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Very disappointing feedback, I do wish you had let us know before you left that this was your feeling so that we could have done something to improve your impression of us. As you have said yourself, this is a personal preference from yourself but I assure you that we will use your feedback to further train our team. I hope you will contact me directly so that I can investigate further.

Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

We had an absolutely loving 1 night stay at the Hallmark Hotel Gloucester. The restaurant was amazing - seriously lovely food. And the staff were so helpful and friendly, they really did over and above. The hotel looks modern and our room was lovely and clean. Only downside was the spa and pool area, swimming pool was a little cold and looked in need of an update and we both had massages. My husband was happy, but my massage was awful and actually gave me a bad back- feel awful saying it as the girl was really nice and everything else exceeded our expectations but the massage was really bad.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Thank you for your balanced review, I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your visit, apologies that your treatment was not up to expectations, we hope you will return so we can try again in the future.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

Having just spent 6 nights at the Hallmark Hotel had to write a review and say how much we enjoyed our stay. Staff polite and friendly - nothing too much trouble - and the receptionists were particularly friendly greeting you with a smile. Room was really nice, bathroom especially clean and huge bed! Breakfast was good, great choice and it being a buffet you could choose what you wanted! Very much look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your fantastic feedback. It is great to learn that you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to seeing you with us again very soon.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

I know hotel prices are always higher but £22 for a basic bottle of wine was a bit of a shock! The rooms were immaculate, staff wonderful, restaurant and breakfast amazing. I would return- but with my own wine lOL!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Thank you for your review, it is great to learn that you enjoyed your recent visit. We do often offer special deals on our wines and our starting price is £17.95, I believe this to be a good price for a four star product. We hope you will be back to see us again very soon.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Some friends and myself have just come back from this hotel, after staying for a spa weekend. The drive through the local council estate initially worried us as it looks very rough, we did venture to the local Tesco express and as you guess was full of rough and rowdy people. The hotel it's self is fine from the outside some building work going on to the right of the hotel, but this didn't effect us. The inside of the hotel and the bedrooms were decorated and maintained to a high standard. The shower was disappointing, had to run around the bath to get wet!!! The food was excellent and the staff in the reception, bar and restaurant very pleasant and helpful. Now for the Bad points....The spa, the first thing we were confronted with was a bad attitude from a lady with jet black hair in the spa, not very professional with customers or other staff; she had to cancel our treatments as someone had gone home sick! Fair enough but she was really off hand and didn't offer a solution until we asked if we could have them the following day (when we had booked the break originally, we went to book our treatments which were included in the package, only to be told that there was no availability; we had to fight to get our treatments in the first place, then we were told we couldn't have certain treatment that were on offer!) The spa area was dirty the carpet looked like it hadn't ben vacuumed in weeks and there was bits of tinsel on the floor; I could have written my name in the dust on the shelves. The treatment staff were pleasant enough. The massage I had verged on painful and I do like a firm massage, but it was uncomfortable. The pool looked grubby lots of plastic cups everywhere! towels were free but you had to pay £5 non refundable to use a robe!! and no slippers so everyone was walking around the hotel bare foot, poor show in the spa!

Room Tip: we had three different rooms, but all had views of car parks and our had views of bins. You can here...