“Great anniversary”

Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
“Great anniversary”
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in a very spacious suite for our anniversary. Got a great deal and enjoyed going to nearby Cheltenham. The lounge in the suite lacked character but was big and loved having breakfast in there.

Swimming pool is big and enjoyed having a dip. Changing rooms not linked to the pool though. Good gym as well.

Dinner in the restaurant was good and overall had a great stay and great value for what we paid. Not sure we'd come back but more to do with not liking Gloucester.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Bungl
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for the great review, we are sorry you did not find more to like in Gloucester, I hope you will still consider us as a base in the future to explore the Cotswolds.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
High Wycombe, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed here for one night on business. The main reason I booked the hotel was for it's gym facilities but after a tiring days work & more emails to send in the evening I opted for a exercise-free stay.

The hotel is opposite a dry ski slope (that has see better days) and the route I took from the M5 bought me through Matson which from what I saw was made up completely of hideous magnolia coloured council flats.

The professional photo's of the hotel are somewhat misleading. The main reception is lovely and modern but is flanked either side by dated accommodation blocks. The room itself was nice and spacious, clean and had all necessary electronics. The only gripe was the width of the bath tub, it was pretty narrow for a stand-up shower....you have to stand to attention in order to remain upright!

I generally sleep quite well in hotels but a couple of things made for a unsettled sleep:

1) The extractor fan from the room upstairs was incredibly loud and even through my ear plugs it woke me up a couple of times in the night!

2) The bed didn't have a duvet, just a sheet and blanket. Last time I checked Gloucestershire wasn't in the Med!

3) The pillows supplied were well used and had no life/spring in them. Pillows like pancakes!

There are two dining options for dining, a formal restaurant or the bar. After sitting down in the restaurant and perusing the options I decided to opt for a pint and something from the bar menu.

Overall, a pleasant enough hotel but I'll most probably seek something better next time!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your visit. I do wish you had let us know that you were not happy with your pillows so that we could have addressed this easily solved issue. We hope you will consider us again in the future.
Lancashire, Uk
Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here two nights this week, staff very friendly, rooms decent sized, very clean, food ok. All in all decent stay.

TOP TIP...

When ordering food with Chips, if your hungry order extra otherwise your only getting 8 with your meal

Stayed September 2013
Steve C, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, September 12, 2013

We look forward to seeing you back with us again very soon.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stayed her before but still ended up at the wrong end of the road when following the sat nav! It's through a housing estate, at the foot of the ski slope, so head for that :-)
Having got there, it's a lovely place with beautiful rooms. I'm always impressed by the additional luxury provided by the Villeroy & Bosch china and quality toiletries. Beds are very comfortable but couldn't get a decent wifi signal in the room.
Comfortable bar. Good restaurant - which is lucky as there isn't anywhere else nearby.
Recommended.

Room Tip: Lots of stairs and fire door, so make sure you discuss your room location is this will be an issue.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank LadyBeresford2013
Thank you for the great feedback, we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you taking the time to leave us your positive comments. We look forward t seeing you back with us again very soon.

I would also like to offer my thanks to you for tipping guests to head for the ski slopes, some sat nav's do send guests slightly off course, but following signs for the ski slopes will get you to us.
Baughurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013

my friend and I stayed as part of a spa deal- one night with a spa treatment each, dinner with a bottle of wine and breakfast for us both. We decided to have afternoon tea when we got to the hotel, which we both enjoyed. Went for a swim and used the hot tub which was very nice, although some areas could do with some updating. our evening meal was lovely, served quickly and very tasty. the Staff in the bar and dining room were friendly and very helpful and made this a very pleasant part of our trip. our room was nice had everything needed for an overnight stay. Breakfast is a buffet style with hot and cold food and lots of fruit juices on offer. very nice for a short break and near enough to Gloucester for a night out with breaking the bank for taxis.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the lovely feedback, we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you taking the time to leave us your positive comments. We look forward t seeing you back with us again very soon.
Haxey, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We arrived at the hotel having had issues finding it, there aren't any signs at all from the main roads. We have two small children and therefore had the usual paraphernalia associated with kids, we were given a family room but it was down 3 sets of stairs and through 4 sets of fire doors. There isn't a lift! ( I thought that would have been a requirement for disabled guests?) the room was basic but could have been cleaner, stains and marks on the carpets. It has the same facilities as a premier inn but no more, I wouldn't have described it as 4*. That night we had booked a babysitter so that we could have a drink together in the bar, we also had a bar meal which was reasonable, but no better than reasonable. Carolyn behind the bar was very friendly and made us feel welcome. The evening meal we had the second night was quite frankly appalling. I've read other reviews on here and the food should have been fine but was barely fit for consumption by humans.

We waited 20 minutes from being seated until a waitress even came over to us, in fact I went to the bar and got some drinks in before we were asked by a waitress! I had the "prawn cocktail with a modern twist" guess what the twist was? The twist was, it had no taste other than mayonnaise and ketchup. Just horribly bland and disappointing. Apparently the twist was the martini glass it's served in! My beautiful wife (need to earn brownie points back after subjecting her to this meal) ordered the duck terrine and orange sauce. Oh how we laughed when the orange sauce was actually, and I'm not exaggerating or making this up, watered down marmalade with a mandarin section dropped in it, served in a recycled pure honey breakfast portion bottle. The terrine itself was only about a day from total petrification so the orange water was almost useful in softening the terrain, sorry, terrine up.

We both ordered the lamb main course. We both made the same mistake. It arrives served on a wooden plate, is that even hygienic? I can only describe the lamb as layers of shoulder blade majestically topped with a healthy layer of cartilage, blubber and something else that was definitely brown. It was accompanied by another recycled pure honey pot but this time containing some green water. I had a symmetric stack of 6 albino chips to play with, these creatures of the night absorbed much of the grease from the 'lamb' and then went into tampon mode to absorb the water from the raw parsnips and carrots we had mischievously ordered as sides. I say mischievously because we weren't actually allowed to order sides as we were on the 'inclusive' dinner menu. I highlight this because inclusive in Gloucester actually means 'some'. Side orders, sorbets, cheese & Port, tea or coffee and steaks aren't considered suitable for those untermensch on the inclusive deal.

And now the dessert. I needed something akin to a degreasing agent blended with some flavour so I though ice cream might do it. Now I know the Walls factory is just down the road but to offer Ice cream in this day and age of pink, brown or white is not acceptable. It wasn't even real ice cream, if it were homemade I could live with it but this was straight out of a plastic tub. It also failed to degrease my digestive tract. My gorgeous wife ordered the chocolate desert plate. In fairness the brown triangle was deemed "quite tasty" but that was sadly offset by the mini glass of nesquick chocolate milk masquerading as milkshake.

We left and got pleasantly drunk.

It is also my sad duty to inform you that breakfast was equally horrendous. The whole arrangement is chaotic, the toaster is a standard 2 slot affair that takes about 5 minutes to convert stale bread into tanned stale bread. At this point I can confirm that my suspicions the night before about the watered down marmalade was proved correct as the 'chef' had used it all up, the only mini pots were pure honey or jam. The sausages were classic pink pulp in a plastic skin, just a revolting blend of various animals lips, eyes and bum holes. The coffee. All I need is coffee in the morning. I honestly didn't think they could get that wrong. Cold, flavourless and dull.

All in all a disappointing experience. I though the Gloucester house of horrors was in Cromwell St, not the kitchen of a nearby hotel!

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Vortex842
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us this comprehensive and detailed review. I regret that there were some aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations. In regards our disabled access, we have 3 floors of rooms at the hotel that are accessible without the use of a lift. As you have pointed out the food in our restaurant generally receives very positive feedback and I am surprised that you found it to be so far away from your expectations. We routinely sell 50 portions of the Lamb shoulder on a weekend evening, it is by far our highest seller so I can only apologise that it was not to your taste, the small pot contained mint sauce. Our menu offers a large choice included within the dinner allowance, but we also offer some dishes at a higher cost, it is up to the guest if they would like to order these, I see no problem with this practice, it is very common in hotels.

Travelers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

We have been staying in the gloucester area recently and have stayed at a few of the hotels in the area. This is by far the best! Greeted by warm staff, we went to our room, very modern and clean. Great tea and coffee with lovely biscuits. Nice sized bathroom with great toiletries and again very clean. We had food in both bar and restaurant, again great. We will definitely be using this hotel for good now. City centre only 2 miles away and there is also a ski centre right on the door step. Will definitely be using that next time. Thank you hallmark!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Correlle1
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Thank you for the fantastic feedback, we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you taking the time to leave us your positive comments. We look forward t seeing you back with us again very soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings
The Edward Hotel
The Edward Hotel
#8 of 21 in Gloucester

Been to Hallmark Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!