“lovely”

Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Reviewed September 7, 2013

my friend and I stayed as part of a spa deal- one night with a spa treatment each, dinner with a bottle of wine and breakfast for us both. We decided to have afternoon tea when we got to the hotel, which we both enjoyed. Went for a swim and used the hot tub which was very nice, although some areas could do with some updating. our evening meal was lovely, served quickly and very tasty. the Staff in the bar and dining room were friendly and very helpful and made this a very pleasant part of our trip. our room was nice had everything needed for an overnight stay. Breakfast is a buffet style with hot and cold food and lots of fruit juices on offer. very nice for a short break and near enough to Gloucester for a night out with breaking the bank for taxis.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Steve C, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Thank you for the lovely feedback, we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you taking the time to leave us your positive comments. We look forward t seeing you back with us again very soon.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We arrived at the hotel having had issues finding it, there aren't any signs at all from the main roads. We have two small children and therefore had the usual paraphernalia associated with kids, we were given a family room but it was down 3 sets of stairs and through 4 sets of fire doors. There isn't a lift! ( I thought that would have been a requirement for disabled guests?) the room was basic but could have been cleaner, stains and marks on the carpets. It has the same facilities as a premier inn but no more, I wouldn't have described it as 4*. That night we had booked a babysitter so that we could have a drink together in the bar, we also had a bar meal which was reasonable, but no better than reasonable. Carolyn behind the bar was very friendly and made us feel welcome. The evening meal we had the second night was quite frankly appalling. I've read other reviews on here and the food should have been fine but was barely fit for consumption by humans.

We waited 20 minutes from being seated until a waitress even came over to us, in fact I went to the bar and got some drinks in before we were asked by a waitress! I had the "prawn cocktail with a modern twist" guess what the twist was? The twist was, it had no taste other than mayonnaise and ketchup. Just horribly bland and disappointing. Apparently the twist was the martini glass it's served in! My beautiful wife (need to earn brownie points back after subjecting her to this meal) ordered the duck terrine and orange sauce. Oh how we laughed when the orange sauce was actually, and I'm not exaggerating or making this up, watered down marmalade with a mandarin section dropped in it, served in a recycled pure honey breakfast portion bottle. The terrine itself was only about a day from total petrification so the orange water was almost useful in softening the terrain, sorry, terrine up.

We both ordered the lamb main course. We both made the same mistake. It arrives served on a wooden plate, is that even hygienic? I can only describe the lamb as layers of shoulder blade majestically topped with a healthy layer of cartilage, blubber and something else that was definitely brown. It was accompanied by another recycled pure honey pot but this time containing some green water. I had a symmetric stack of 6 albino chips to play with, these creatures of the night absorbed much of the grease from the 'lamb' and then went into tampon mode to absorb the water from the raw parsnips and carrots we had mischievously ordered as sides. I say mischievously because we weren't actually allowed to order sides as we were on the 'inclusive' dinner menu. I highlight this because inclusive in Gloucester actually means 'some'. Side orders, sorbets, cheese & Port, tea or coffee and steaks aren't considered suitable for those untermensch on the inclusive deal.

And now the dessert. I needed something akin to a degreasing agent blended with some flavour so I though ice cream might do it. Now I know the Walls factory is just down the road but to offer Ice cream in this day and age of pink, brown or white is not acceptable. It wasn't even real ice cream, if it were homemade I could live with it but this was straight out of a plastic tub. It also failed to degrease my digestive tract. My gorgeous wife ordered the chocolate desert plate. In fairness the brown triangle was deemed "quite tasty" but that was sadly offset by the mini glass of nesquick chocolate milk masquerading as milkshake.

We left and got pleasantly drunk.

It is also my sad duty to inform you that breakfast was equally horrendous. The whole arrangement is chaotic, the toaster is a standard 2 slot affair that takes about 5 minutes to convert stale bread into tanned stale bread. At this point I can confirm that my suspicions the night before about the watered down marmalade was proved correct as the 'chef' had used it all up, the only mini pots were pure honey or jam. The sausages were classic pink pulp in a plastic skin, just a revolting blend of various animals lips, eyes and bum holes. The coffee. All I need is coffee in the morning. I honestly didn't think they could get that wrong. Cold, flavourless and dull.

All in all a disappointing experience. I though the Gloucester house of horrors was in Cromwell St, not the kitchen of a nearby hotel!

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Vortex842
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this comprehensive and detailed review. I regret that there were some aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations. In regards our disabled access, we have 3 floors of rooms at the hotel that are accessible without the use of a lift. As you have pointed out the food in our restaurant generally receives very positive feedback and I am surprised that you found it to be so far away from your expectations. We routinely sell 50 portions of the Lamb shoulder on a weekend evening, it is by far our highest seller so I can only apologise that it was not to your taste, the small pot contained mint sauce. Our menu offers a large choice included within the dinner allowance, but we also offer some dishes at a higher cost, it is up to the guest if they would like to order these, I see no problem with this practice, it is very common in hotels.

Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

We have been staying in the gloucester area recently and have stayed at a few of the hotels in the area. This is by far the best! Greeted by warm staff, we went to our room, very modern and clean. Great tea and coffee with lovely biscuits. Nice sized bathroom with great toiletries and again very clean. We had food in both bar and restaurant, again great. We will definitely be using this hotel for good now. City centre only 2 miles away and there is also a ski centre right on the door step. Will definitely be using that next time. Thank you hallmark!

2  Thank Correlle1
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Thank you for the fantastic feedback, we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you taking the time to leave us your positive comments. We look forward t seeing you back with us again very soon.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I decided that I needed a well earned Spa break, due to having a busy job and a stressful few years. I arrived at The Hallmark Hotel, Gloucester on 24th August 2013 after 25 mile tailback of traffic whilst travelling up. I was advised to go directly to the Health Spa, there was no one there to greet me, another customer said just fill in a form. There were 2 tired looking sofas with tired thows over them. with a store room in between them and staff coming in and out (not a relaxing area). I was eventually greeted and taken to a small unkempt room with many stains on the walls, I was unable to put my suitcase in a locked cupboard so, had to change around it. The spa member of staff was very nice but, spoke throughout the treatment (which is fine) but, she stopped each time to continue her conversation. The treatment was rushed completed early, basic oil used. As I left I was approached by another member of staff who asked me to pay for my treatment, I explained this was included in my package, she disagreed+++ and I was very embarrassed and said I would sort this out at Reception. I advised the member of staff that I was not impressed with the treatment, she advised me to tell Reception. I was not shown to the Leisure facilities as the staff member just walked off.
I went upstairs and waited 15 minutes to check-in as staff members were talking amongst themselves. I reiterated that, I was not satisfied with the treatment.

I was given a room, on entering I decided to make myself a coffee and laid my nightwear on the bed and placed clothing in the wardrobe. I sat in the chair close to the window, both windows were open, within 10 minutes of me sitting I was bitten on my arm. I decided to close the windows BUT!! to my horror I was greeted by many bugs/insects/wasps/flies and spiders, some alive and the majority were dead, I was just horrified and you automatically become itchy. The insects/bugs etc had obviously been there a long time, there were many webs and spiders spinning their catch. I immediately took photos and went straight down to Reception, I said in a calm voice "do you think this is acceptable in a 4* hotel" the 2 Receptionist were shocked and apologised. I advised them that I just wanted to go home, I decided to sit in my car in the car park whilst my room was investigated.
I waitied 15 minutes and went back into the Hotel but, I could see the two members of staff brushing the bugs etc out of the windows. As I entered the room, I was greeted by the female Duty Manager and a cleaning supervisor, they both apologised and said we have missed this.

I was very tearful and advised that I just wanted a relaxing weekend. I was asked if I wanted another treatment (but declined as this would have been too awkward). I said that at this moment in time I just wanted to go home but, was tired after a long journey and would decide in the next half an hour, they both left my room.

I spoke with my daughter and she asked if the room and been cleaned of hoovered after finding the bugs. I asked her to hold the line whilst I checked the carpet, the insects/bugs etc were all on the carpet, I happened to pull the curtain back AND! to my astonishment a dead cockroach!!. I immediately rang down to the Reception and demanded the Duty Manager comes back. She arrived in 10 minutes. I advised her again this is appalling for a 4* hotel, she quickly got on the floor and picked the Cockroach up and said it was a moth. I advised her that this was certainly not a moth (being in the Health Profession). I had already packed my belongings during the time (10 minutes), she came up again. I said I am checking out and not staying here. I was not offered another room nor offered another Hotel in the area, As we left my room, she still had the Cockroach in her bare hand (no glove/tissue/universal precautions), shocking, she then placed the Cockroach on the reception desk!!!

I left in tears and unable to find another Hotel due to the Bank Holiday weekend. I had plans to meet my daughter in Cheltenham the next day but, decided to drive back to Wales. I had driven 135 mile round trip to an appalling hotel to return home again.

I wrote a long email to Mr Arnold Schnegg (CEO) and Mr Daniel Graham (General Manager). I received a response from Mr Daniel Graham on the BH Monday. admitting to "poor internal communication", "obvious that the cleaning had not been completed to the right standard" "completely unacceptable" " the housekeeper says sorry" " I fully admit that the team did make errors". I was offered an overnight stay for 2 with treatments but, declined this as, I would certainly not go to the Hallmark Hotel in Gloucester again.

I have informed Environmental Health. I also advised a local Gloucester newspaper of my experience and they were initially going to print the pictures but felt due to certain reasons they could not, so I am doing this with Tripadvisor so, that other members of the public will think twice before booking a room here. Obviously I can not comment on the food or bed as I did not stay long enough to sample these.

All in all a very upsetting and stressful day, which I incurred unwated costs. (I should have read Tripadvisor before I booked).

I am still awaiting a response from Mr Arnold Schnegg as, if it was myself owning a chain of Hotels then, I would want to know why in 2013 the hotel room was in such a poor and unhealthy state that a customer was bitten by a bug in the hotel room.

Room Tip: Always read reviews and past experiences of others, ALWAYS check the room in daylight.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
34  Thank Debbie W

Apologies have been offered and I have taken steps to improve your lasting impressions of us. I fully accept and regret that your room was not to the standard it should have been on arrival and I do wish you would have taken advantage of the offer of another room at the time, or the return offer I made following your first emailed correspondence, however I understand that you do not wish to return. We welcome constructive and even handed reviews of our product and if completed reasonably we can all find positives.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

i was so upset when i arrived here, i booked a spa break for my friends 40th birthday as a surprise, we got there, staff rude and disinterested, told us main direction of room, nothing about the spa and where it was, not surprising when later we found the hotel is just attached to a leisure center, kids pool, no lazy rive or lounging by the pool as described, kids in and out of sauna and steam room, staff not willing to arrange dressing gowns, towels are rented by the day. no treatment available to book as the leisure center is for general public to book not hotel guests and was booked even though we were told book when you arrive and get 10 percent off. so we left, i pre paid £150 for a night in a premier inn standard hotel with a pool next door. gutted, i felt so embarrassed as this was a gift, i bought in good faith and was supposed to be a special one off treat :( please dont waste your money this in not a spa hotel!!!! also facing a dry ski slope so full off kids running around indoors, didnt stay long enough to judge evening meal and breakfast, even thought i paid for it already and those lovely pics you have seen of modern black glass welcoming exterior?, is one panel on the front of a very basic leisure centre, check my pics for reality.....

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Liane O

The Hallmark Gloucester is a full service four star hotel, with restaurant open for breakfast and dinner, we have a health club attached with Spa facilities (these need booking before arrival as very popular), facilities include pool, sauna, steam room, gym, nail bar etc. I am sorry if our product was not to your expectations

Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

In 25 years of travelling I can count on one hand how often the vedge and potatoes have been served steaming in a hotel. Wonderful, simple food served well. Compliments to the Chef and his team. The hotel has the air of freshness and the rooms and comfortable and relaxing.

• Stayed: August 2013
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this fantastic review, it is great to learn that you enjoyed your visit and we truly appreciate your great feedback.

Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

The hotel a little difficult to find, had we not had sat nav would doubt we'd have found it!

On arrival the hotel didn't look as good as the pictures on the website. When going in the hotel was well decorated, modern & clean.

Staff were friendly and attentive!

We booked in for the spa package & went straight to the pool area. The spa facilities a little disappointing, again pictures made it look much more luxurious. Cleanliness not bad, but it was a little shabby round the edges, especially the changing area. Some big cobwebs around the pool. Staff on duty in the spa area, again, very friendly & attentive.

Our room was very clean & tidy, but if you're looking for a powerful shower you won't get it here.

Included in our package was a 3 course meal, the food was excellent! Much better than we had expected.

Overall we enjoyed our stay, but the pictures on the site made it look more luxurious than actually is.

Best part of our stay was the food!

• Stayed: August 2013
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Thank you for the balanced feedback. We hope that you will be back to see us again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
#2 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
Hotel Ibis Gloucester
Hotel Ibis Gloucester
#3 of 21 in Gloucester

Been to Hallmark Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!