“Nice Hotel and Food But Pool Area Needs A Refurb”

Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Dudley
“Nice Hotel and Food But Pool Area Needs A Refurb”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

Third stay at this hotel in six months. Hotel is nice, food and staff also nice. Rooms are average, comfortable.
The only thing letting this place down is the pool area. It is very old and tired, needs a complete overhaul in my opinion. Once this is done then this place will be near perfect.

1 Thank AbidUK
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback, I am sorry that you our pool is not up to your expectation and I was very disappointed to see that we have slipped in our scoring since your last visit. Due to the current climate we have no immediate plans to totally refurbish the pool area, however we do have a plan of works for the area to keep it up to date and would welcome any ideas that you may have. I do hope that you will continue to use us in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

Just stayed the one night to join a conference group for a formal meal so never had the chance to explore the sports facilities which I believe are available. Everything about the place was functional and did what it should do, nothing stood out as special.
I did stay here many years ago and the standard of decor and cleanliness from then has improved 10 fold so if you have kept away because of memories of past days it may be worth another look if you just need a functional hotel well situated for Gloucester and area, or even the M5.
The one big negative for me was the allocation of a single room. Not sure how it happened as I am always booked into a double. The bed seemed ultra small and had it not been for a long day and a few beers sleep may have been a problem. Breakfast and check out was efficient so in all I think 'average' is a fair rating from me.

Room Tip: I would recommend a double room for single travellers.
1 Thank Ntb146
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
It is disappointing that an issue such as room allocation would leave any negative impression. I hope that you will return to the hotel in the future and let us know that you prefer a double, we will always upgrade if possible.
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Reception poor - had to wait 10 minutes for any staff to turn up to check in. Once checked in was sent to the wrong location for room. Rooms good size and clean. Hotel generally clean and staff helpful. Food good.

Room Tip: A few rooms are randomly located away from others with similar numbers which confuses staff
1 Thank BristolMKH
I am sorry that you experienced a delay upon checking in, I do hope that you will get in touch with myself so that I can investigate further as this is not acceptable to us. Thank you for your positive comments on the other aspects of your stay.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Recently refurbished to a high standard, my room was very well furnished but I couldn't turn my radiator off. Informed reception and problem solved by the time I returned from my walk. Good quality food and a good selection and options available. Nothing much in the close vicinity with the exception of the dry ski slope situated right across the road. Happy to stay again and probably will.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, we hope to see you again very soon.
Suffolk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

We booked a suite and it was a lovely big suite, good size bedroom and good size siting room. We had booked with friends and it was very clear we were together when booking in, but they were on the first floor and we were on the ground floor, which made no sense to me whatsoever, especially given there was a suite opposite us.

The room and furniture was old, carpet dirty, when we moved a sofa over so that we could all sit together there was bits of rubbish underneath the sofa.

The bed was very comfy.

We had dinner on the first night......I had the noodles with cashew nuts that was all overcooked noodles with 6 cashew nuts. My friends fries were undercooked. The rest of the food was acceptable.

At breakfast next morning, we went at 9am and it was chaos, the fire alarm was going off but there were no staff to say, 'its ok, it is a false alarm' so some people were leaving the building. There was a very slow queue and frankly queuing in the corridor is not my thing. They clearly were not coping. On the second morning they had opened up a second room which made life a whole lot easier. We did not take a chance on dinner the second night.

In fairness when my friend complained about the lack of awareness of the need for more space and how poor the meal was etc.etc. they did take the price of the meal and our wine off the bill as a gesture of goodwill.

Would we go back? Probably not........For the price I guess we might just have an ordinary room if there was a next time.This time we thought having suites meant we did not have to sit in the bar all evening but share a glass of wine in our sitting room. Shame we were on separate floors which was no biggy but it did mean up and down two flights of stairs each time. there was no lift. Our room was on the ground floor but felt very basement like as it was four flights of stairs down from Reception and our room faced the dustbins which glass bottles were emptied into at thirty minutes past midnight on the Friday.

Room Tip: Not 40 or 140 as these face the dustbins at the moment. I would request away from the dustbins as t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank TomsGrandma
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
What a shame that you left us unhappy, I do hope that you will contact me directly to discuss your issues, as you can see we do usually receive great feedback, although we sometimes make mistakes we are dedicated to ensuring our guests have a fantastic experience. We do point out that certain breakfast times are busy and to avoid these if you are looking forward to a leisurely experience, it is true that we will struggle with large amounts of people at the same time, especially if we have a fire alarm! So sorry that your enjoyment was affected.
Bromley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

This hotel close to the centre of Gloucester has been entirely refurbished. It is modern, light and airy and the rooms are extremely comfortable with all modern facilities including free wifi. We had dinner in the hotel which was excellent and the wine is priced moderately.
The only small niggle is that breakfast was entirely buffet style, and so much the same as many hotels. There is also a spa/ pool for guests to use.
Highly recommended and priced moderately - we booked and paid well in advance and room prices were around £70 for a double room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your great feedback, it is fantastic to learn you enjoyed your stay. I do hope you will consider us again if you return to the area.
Wiltshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

Myself and my friends came to to the hotel for a spa day and afternoon tea. On arrival the hotel looks basic but to my surprise inside is fabulous, the hotel is immaculately decorated in a very modern style, staff were really friendly. We were led to the spa area and this did not dissapoint, staff were brilliant, there was an apparent lack of lockers but staff offered for us to put our bags in their office, however when we entered locker room friendly spa goers had finished and we used theres. We hired large fluffy robes, towels were included in price, the spa area was big and there are several jacuzzi areas to sit in which is great if going in a group, meant we had a jacuzzi to ourselves. Sauna and steam room were good size and there are windows in the pool area but still maintained privacy. There were relaxation loungers also in the pool area. We didn't want to leave. Shower facilites were good. A tip arrive at lunchtime as this appeared quieter, think they run swimming lessons earlier in day. We had our afternoon tea in the bar area this was again was beautifully decorated and staff very helpful. This afternoon tea was as good as when i have been to a four star hotel in London, beautifully presented and large amount. A fantastic day and fantastic price. Well done to hotel. Top marks.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank pampered44
Thank you for taking the time to leave us this fantastic feedback, we sincerely hope to see you again in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings
The Edward Hotel
The Edward Hotel
#8 of 21 in Gloucester

Been to Hallmark Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!