“Poor service! Unwelcoming!”

Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Poor service! Unwelcoming!”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband booked this as a gift for us both, we were looking forward to a lovely atmosphere and a warm welcome to start us off... Not too much to ask been as it rated 4star! We called days before hand to request an early check in as we were travelling 150 miles, we were advised that it could not be guaranteed but if we arrived early enough they would see what they could do. Upon arrival at12pm we were disappointed with the unwelcoming greeting we had from the receptionist, we asked if we could check in and were abruptly told that check in was from 2pm.... When we explained that we had requested an early check in the receptionist reluctantly called housekeeping to see if our room was indeed ready, she came back to us and said it would be 30 mins, the attitude and lack of customer relation from the receptionist was disgusting, there was no compassion or friendliness about her at all, front of house is where your journey begins and this girl set us up with a very bad first impression... we decided to have a drink in the bar while we waited. As we hadn't checked in nor had no room to start up a tab our experience at the bar was also unpleasant and the barman had a "whatever" attitude towards us also (£1.70 for a very small glass of coke.... Crazy price!). We sat for over an hour after having several drinks and decided to go back and try again... Only to be greeted in the same manner yet again.... room not ready and another reluctant call to housekeeping... Finally we get somewhere and were given a different room which we appreciated, only to get all the way to it and our keys not work so we can't get in... Yet another trek back to the unwelcoming Reception! We paid on arrival as we were on a package deal... None of this was explained to us on check in either and we were unsure on how things actually worked..very poor communication! We used the spa facilities on day 1... This was OK... Just your average pool sauna & steam room... Limited loungers and seats if you just want to chill out! We left after a little over an hour, We were actually that fed up we left the hotel & found a local place and spent our afternoon there. We returned for our evening meal as we had this included in our package.... This is the only thing we did enjoy and we had a very nice foreign lady that dealt with us... In fact the only person that had a pleasant attitude and a smile on her face in two days, our food was also very nice, even though the restaurant was very busy being valentines weekend nothing seemed too much trouble for our waitress! Bedtime and we were kept awake by a wedding that was at the hotel and being two doors away from the function room sleep & relaxation was not on the cards early, just a stab in the dark at logic but you would think that they would put guests that were not attending these type of functions as far away as possible, we did swap rooms at check in but we were originally in the same corridor??? This was also then made worse with people running up and down the corridor at stupid o clock in the morning shouting very loud, I'd say the same people that woke us up with shouting at 8:30am! On to Breakfast.... We were lucky to be greeted by the same person from the evening before and again everything was nice.... Although not very hot, buffet style with lots of variety but had to wait twice for the food to be re stocked. Time to check out & lucky for us the unwelcoming receptionist from the day before was busy no doubt bent unpleasant to other guests... Manners are free and so is a smile this however seemed too much. When asked at check out if everything was ok I declined to answer but did ask for a feedback form which was just a scrap of paper with some stars on... There is also no where to leave feedback on there actually Webb site.... But this is no surprise.
Bottom line would we return.... NEVER!!! Would we recommend .... NEVER!!
We do not expect to be treated like lords & ladies but as I have said customer service and just a warm welcome goes a very long way and the attitude of the reception staff and all bar one or two of the restraint staff was non existent.... Reading some of the reviews now I can see what they mean!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MrsGreg
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
I apologise for where we have erred and I assure you that I do not believe any of the service issues you encountered to be acceptable, we did encounter some unexpected business level’s this weekend, this was obviously our challenge to deal with and I apologise that in your experience it was not as it should have been. Thank you for your generous comments in relation to our restaurant.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Merseyside, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Efficient check-in and on settling in my room headed for the hotel restaurant.

I waited and waited at the "please wait here to be seated sign". They were clearly busy because it was Valentines night, but for one of the restaurant staff to come up to the till where I was standing, not even strike eye contact me or say "sorry to keep you waiting someone will be with you shortly", was astonishing. I waited a couple of minutes longer before giving up and go to a local pub for dinner. I mentioned this issue to reception where I got a rather disinterested "sorry" and on return later in the evening no eye contact. Then had a "floater" coffee before bedtime in the bar. Is two inches of cream the norm?

An excellent nights sleep. Breakfast in the morning acceptable though the tea I ordered had to be chased up and eventually arrived after I had finished my cooked breakfast.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank monktonman
I apologise for where we have erred, I can only be honest and say that we encountered a much busier night on Saturday than we expected, this was our challenge and I regret that your experience was diminished in any way.
UK
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The big issue here is the attitude/capability of the staff. After checking in and heading down to the swim and sauna I stood there for a good two or three minutes listening to the staff argue with each other about who was the most useless, I nearly had to chip in with my opinion. Then after the mini dispute was over the young girl decided to update a friend on a Facebook post that had particularly annoyed her on her phone, she actually paused to apologize to me for the delay before returning to her friend and phone. When she finally got round to me I asked her to confirm the times we were booked in for the following mornings massage and facials, she couldn't decipher the bookings so asked us to come back in the morning to find out....Dinner didn't go to well either, we arrived at the restaurant to a queue leading back to reception and waited nearly 10 minutes to be seated despite earlier booking the table in advance. Despite the lengthy queue we watched three or four staff trying to figure out how to work the till, one girl asking if panacetta was a wine and two dealing with a gent who had been overcharged! Once seated we ordered drinks while looking at the menu, we had to ask for the drinks again as 10 mins later we still hadn't got them. When the main courses arrived mine was not what I ordered so I sent it back only for the waiter to return with the same dish telling me it was what I ordered! I pointed out I ordered salmon salad and that was a pasta dish so back it went again. Come desert guess what, I was given the wrong order again! Despite the poor service the food was actually quite nice I have to say. The room was not great either there were cobwebs in the corner,thick with dust (room 111 check if they still there) and the window didn't shut fully letting a cold February draft in thru the night. There only saving grace was their incompetence also meant they got the bill for our drinks wrong so we weren't charged for the drinks we had with our meal!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank GreigUk
Obviously we made some mistakes during your stay and I sincerely apologise for where we have erred. Our restaurant did experience a much busier night than we expected on this occasion, this was our challenge and I am very sorry that in your experience we did not come up to standard.

Travelers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I recently went to the Hallmark as my partner booked me the valentines deal as a surprise.
This included room, chocolate, sparkling wine, a 3 course dinner, breakfast and use of the swimming pool.

The food was lovely can not fault it and the staff in the restaurant, both for dinner and breakfast were very kind and friendly. The rooms were of a good quality however, on arriving we made use of the tea and coffee facilities in the room, the kettle took 15mins to boil and then when I went to pick it up the handle was so hot it burnt my hand, I also noticed that water had leaked from it onto the wires, I called the reception to report the fault, the lady I spoke was rude and just said she would get the duty manager to sort it out and hung up!! The whole stay we never once saw the duty manager or a new kettle. It's safe to say my hand is ok but very sore.

The reception staff is what let down the hotel in my opinion, they were abrupt and rude. I work in the Hospialtiy and Tourism industry and I was shocked that a 4* hotel would have staff so rude!! They treated us as if we were a problem and not guests, I loved the hotel its self but would not return because of the staff at the reception. However this does not encompass all the staff, the restaurant staff as I have said were lovely and some staff I met in the corridor were very polite and actually cracked a smile!

Me and my partner felt very uncomfortable every time we walked past reception and were glad when we checked out although we had the same rude girl who didn't even ask how our stay was or wish us a good trip home. Management need to train their staff in customer service as it is obviously lacking in the reception area.

One minor detail with food was that the breakfast, although a lovely choice and buffet style, the hot food, sausages etc were cold.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Devonatheart91
We are very sorry that you experienced the poor service that you did and I thank you for bringing this to my attention, I can assure you that this is not a level of service that we find acceptable and I hope you will accept our apologies and assurance that we will work to ensure it is not repeated.
Wiltshire
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We had been toying with staying at this hotel for some time. But as it's within an hour of home, it seemed a little decadent without a purpose. So when we received information on their Winter Warmer deals, there seemed like the ideal time! The proximity to the ski slope in Gloucester provided us with our excuse to stay. So we booked the kids in to ski classes and prayed for snow! And snow it did...... For 2 days (1 night) we created our own little ski holiday. The multi-million pound makeover has provided a fantastic facility. Our room was superb for a family of 4 to share. Plenty warm enough and huge. Dinner (provided as part of the deal) meant the children needed to select from the 'children's menu' if they were to eat 'free'. Previous experiences of kids menus meant we were expecting fried offering with chips and more chips. Instead they had their own 3 course options and portion sizes were ideal for their appetites. Service was excellent for both dinner and breakfast and staff were attentive and seemed to care about our experiences.
While we did not make use of the extra Spa facilities, we did make use of the pool, gym and steam room. There was no issue with us using these on our day of departure and staff positively encouraged us to stay as long as we wanted, once we had checked out. Our only 'gripe' was that to access the gym/pool area, you have to walk through the bar... a little odd and slightly disconcerting when walking back to your room for a shower after a big workout - sweaty and puffed out!
That said, we will no doubt be back. It's ideal for the ski slope and we would look out for more short stay deals in the future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your fantastic feedback, I look forward to seeing your family at the hotel again very soon.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Could not fault the hotel , one suggestion would be to have more choice of meals on the dinner menu and I would prefer my steak to be served on a plate instead of a wooden tray. We are intending to return for a girls pamper weekend! Special thanks to reception staff for such excellent customer service.

• Stayed February 2013
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your fantastic feedback, it is great to learn that you enjoyed your recent visit and I do hope that you will be back to see us again very soon.
Worcester
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Bought a 'spa day' via Travelzoo. Deal was use of the pool, sauna, steam room, 25 minute treatment and a sandwich lunch. First impressions were great, hotel reception is inviting and so was the bar that you walk through to get to the 'spa'. A few steps downstairs and you think you are in a different hotel! Receptionist not the most helpful, just pointed us in the direction of the changing rooms having asked if we needed towels (Tip -take your own, I've got better to wash my floor with!) and would we be able to share a locker. We agreed but having seen the sizte decided we could not get 2 bags, 2 pairs of boots, 2 coats etc in one so went to ask for another key. They have plenty of lockers but half of them are missing the locks or the doors are falling off. You then walk back past reception to get to the pool, built in the 1980's (?) and didn't look as if it had been cleaned since, they need to take a look at the amount of cobwebs on the windows!
Very small sauna and stream room. An aqua aerobic class started not long after we got in the pool, maybe a sign telling guests what time these things happen would be helpful? Be warned if you don't want to join in there is nothing else to do!
You have to get dressed to go back to the bar for lunch, nice sandwiches (some of the prawns were still frozen tho!) salad and crisps. Then off for the treatment, a great back and shoulder massage but I would have liked the lights dimmed slightly, was a bit too clinical and at the end the therapist suggests you drink water, I think they could give you a glass as I'm not sure where you would get some from. If you are having more than one treatment with a space in between there is no where to sit and I would personally find it really annoying having to keep getting dressed/undressed.
But as the saying goes you get what you pay for ..........

Room Tip: Take your own towels for the spa!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank womanwholivesinashoe
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback, it is disappointing that you did not completely enjoy your visit, thank you for the constructive review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings
Hatton Court Hotel
Hatton Court Hotel
#2 of 2 in Upton St Leonards

Been to Hallmark Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!