“Attentive friendly excellence”

Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

Fair play to them! All you want from a hotel..... Great food, lovely ambience, helpfull attentive staff.... Very relaxing health suit, all the amenities, we had a thoroughly enjoyable stay. We'd definitely come back here again the next time we want a spa hotel break in Gloucester!

• Stayed: January 2013
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Thank you for posting this great review, we do hope that you will be back to see us again in the near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,724)

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We booked this hotel for 2 nights over the Christmas Period. We work very hard in the lead up to Christmas being in retail and like to go away for a couple of days to just switch off and not have to cook and have a bit of leisure time with the family. When I booked I was told that there would be a limited menu on Christmas Day in the evening. I then received a phone call the week before from the hotel to say that they would not be serving the bar menu but would be having a buffet that evening if we would like to book for that. It would be 20.00 per head and there would be plenty of choice. When we went down for dinner we were told by the waitress that as we had not booked into the hotel for lunch we would be be able to have a table in the restaurant but would be able to take from the buffet and go down to the bar to eat. We looked at the buffet which had 1 pasta dish, 1 chicken dish, rice and a bit of salad. We then said that we did not think this was worth the 20.00 per head that they were charging and were offered the bar menu. We ordered from the bar menu, took a table in the bar and waited....... After around 45 minutes another waiter came down from the restaurant to say that the chef had gone home and they were not serving food. He did apologise and say that we could help ourselves free of charge from the buffet. We did this, however by this point there was even less available on the buffet.
Breakfast was adequate, not as good as some buffets that I have had, not much choice of breads or fruits and there was no cheese bu this could be because of the time of year.
The hotel itself is very nice, a bit tired from the outside but rooms nice and spacious. We did have a nice stay and the staff were all very friendly.
The leisure centre was only open minimum hours which was a shame for the kids but did not matter.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bevmarc
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

We are very sorry for the confusion regarding your evening meal on Christmas Day, I was made aware of the issue and can only apologise again for the poor communication and service, I can assure you that it was not our intention to upset you and your group.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Hotel was good, clean, well looked after. The best part of my visit though was the service, it was great to be so well looked after. Thought it was going to be a bit generic but the team made my stay very enjoyable. Stayed with family and would definetley go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in a family room which was very nice.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I booked a spa day for myself and husband at the Hallmark Hotel through a spa company. After reading on the website and looking at the photographs. I decided to book a spa day at this hotel. The company I booked through were fantastic and this was the 4th booking made through them, but my first at this hotel. I usually book the Cheltenham Chase, which is wonderful.
On arrival we were impressed, the reception area and bar/restaurant could not be faulted. Also the staff were very friendly. We were directed to the Leisure reception, and again the staff were friendly. We had our treatments. However the treatment rooms could be updated (artexed walls are outdated). After the treatment we asked about a relaxation room and was told they do not have a relaxation room, but could sit in the bar area or on the loungers by the pool.
The changing rooms were like being at my local leisure centre. The pool area needs updating, I understand the hotel was updated a few years back, but the pool facilities were obviously left. I will be informing the spa company as on their website it gives the impression that the whole hotel including pool had a complete refurbishment.
I have visited a few hotels and used their facilities and compared to them the spa and pool area at the Hallmark are under par

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MissChatterboxWales
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your thoughts following your recent visit, I am pleased that you found some positives to your stay and would suggest that you contact me directly so that I can investigate your concern’s in relation to third party advertising.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

This was my second Christmas visit to this hotel having stayed the previous year. Everything was wonderful again - except still no drying machine for swimming costumes in the leisure centre. The leisure centre was open for longer hours this year and I really enjoyed the pool when the "lazy river" was turned on. Great food and entertainment. The temperature in the bedroom was just right. It was nice that the Christmas package was slightly different from the previous year - for instance sherry on Christmas Eve afternoon, the bar/lounge area located in the Merlot Suite. Would definitely recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: There is no lift - there are ground floor rooms but there are stairs up to the bar and restaurant.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for the fantastic feedback, it was a pleasure looking after your party and we sincerely hope to see you again next Christmas if not sooner.

Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Hallmark for one night on business; the hotel was clean, modern and comfortable.
Bar and restaurant staff were friendly and very helpful and food and drink was very nice and priced as you would expect.
Ignore any bad reviews regarding the hotel itself - no cause for concern from where I was standing.

I will be back again, no problem.

• Stayed: January 2013

Thank you for the constructive and generous review, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you back with us again very soon.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here inbeetween Xmas and New Year. Found the staff to be excellent very helpful. The Hotel rooms very nice, clean and had everthing you could want. As for the spa area it was in need of a good clean. The changing rooms were dirty and lockers broken and needed decorating. The pool area was dirty pool looked clean but the Jacuzzi was in need of empying and scrubbing. Went in the sauna and got talking to a guy who has been using the gym and spa for ten years and he said its never been painted or up dated in all that time. The towels are threadbear and needed binning. I had a mini pedicure, well what can I say!!! I was so disapointed all I got was my feet wiped with a hot towel and a quick file of my nails then very badley painted. As this was in my package for weekend I couldnot be bothered to complain.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your constructive feedback following your recent visit to the Hallmark Gloucester. I am pleased that you enjoyed some aspects of your stay and apologise for any shortfall you experienced in cleanliness.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham
Hatherley Manor
Hatherley Manor
#1 of 1 in Down Hatherley

Been to Hallmark Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!