“Christmas Lunch”

Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Reviewed December 7, 2012

20 guests had a Christmas Lunch at the Hallmark. It was beautifully presented and the table sparkled with festive crackers and partyboxes. The staff welcomed us warmly and took our coats and helped us all be seated. They brought us drinks and generally looked after all our needs. The food was first class and those that chose the salmon said it was the best they had tasted. I had the roasted vegetable en croute and it was delicious. The turkey was very tender and plentiful. There were plenty of vegetables that were served to us then left on the table for us to help ourselves to seconds. Deserts were gorgeous (I had the chocolate and orange torte- heavenly.)
We will definitely be returning to the restaurant for next years treat and will visit it often during the year.
Highly recommend both the food and the quality of the staff that looked after us.
Did not stay overnight.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to give us your great feedback, I do hope that you will be back to visit us again very soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,748)

Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed here recently on a business trip. I chose the hotel because I have another Hallmark on my doorstep and have used them frequently for training sessions and overnight accommodation. The reception staff were very helpful on arrival and departure and I was pleasantly surprised by the standard of the room. It was spacious and the bed was huge and comfortable and importantly the temperature of the room was perfect which some hotels seem to find very hard to achieve! The only negatives were that my tissue box in the room only had the one tissue in it that was sticking out of the top and my colleagues scrambled eggs at breakfast were awful! Other than that I enjoyed my visit.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to give us your constructive and helpful feedback, I hope that you will be back to see us again in the near future.

Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Due to traffic arrived late; called many occasions to re-appoint but always engaged :-(
Staff very helpful upon directions as not signed very well at entrance.
Extremely helpful member of staff signed us in and instructed is on the usage of all facilities. Rushed through to our treatments;of course a little late.. "too late I am afraid, I could fit you in late evening?"
But if course we only wanted to stay a couple of hours and leave before rush hour traffic..?
Very fortunate of us the very helpful member of staff explained there was a cancellation so we could still have our treatments.. Very happy we were...
So we accessed each changing rooms and met in the pool;to which I didn't realise I should have brought my towel with me..
Jacuzzi was nice and refreshing, sauna and steam room;used for approx 2 hours.. We didn't join in with the morning water aerobics, many were a number of years older..(no offence).
Treatments;we both had back,neck and shoulder massage.. Ooh yes highly recommended;they can concentrate on,1 it more areas or of course all.. Time will certainly feel slowed down..bliss. :-)
Shortly after we used our voucher (gift from,friend)
Tea for 2; sandwiches were nice but unusual.. Some just cucumber, salmon, jam with lots of mustard..? But the cakes..ooh wow they were certainly a treat, we enjoyed them more than the sarnies..lol plenty of tea..
Very helpful staff, really nice place and facilities.. Did not stay overnight..

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Matthew W
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Thank you for your generous review, I do hope you will come back and try us again very soon.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

I was given a very good first impression of the hotel when I was served by a very welcoming and polite member of staff.. But this very quickly went down hill! First we used the spa, following which we wanted 2 clean towels for us to use in our rooms, we were told they would be delivered to our rooms shortly - they were never delivered throughout our whole stay. We then attended a wedding reception in the evening, at which we wanted to set up a drinks tab. The lady behind the bar set up a drinks tab for us and insisted that the hotel needed to keep hold of my debit card.. when trying to order our second round of drinks on our tab; we were rudely accused of trying to put them onto someone else's tab. Following this, at the end of the evening when I went to collect my card, they had some how mis-placed it! I then had to wait around for someone to eventually find it. On top of this we were very rudely spoken to by 2 members of staff in the leisure club the next morning,

1  Thank Jo W
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

We are very disapointed that you did not totally enjoy your stay. I apologise for any mis-understanding that led to you not having a fantastic experience. I do hope that you will contact me directly so that we can discuss.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed as a family group over night to celebrate a 70th birthday, took three rooms on a DBB basis and used the treatment rooms and pool during the stay.
All in all, this is astonishing value for money - they're running a promotion at the moment, so a double room (actually a king size) including breakfast and dinner for two was £99.99. Incredible value. As a result, the hotel was heaving with group celebrations, weekenders and family get-togethers - they deserve their success.
The hotel has been recently refurbished to a high standard - lots of deep burgundy and purple and texured fabrics. The room was a good size, lovely quality comfy bed and tidy bathroom (again recently refurbished). There is no way that you could complain at the price - none. I'm sure during the week they are a good place to stay for business. It's a no-brainer.
The pool is nice - busy with day guests, hotel guests and membership - not super-high-end relaxation but great for families
The breakfast was pretty standard hotel buffet - same as you would get in any corporate chain. Not great, not bad either.
The evening meal, however, was another story - superb food, nicely served at reasonable prices. As another reviewer has mentioned, the seafood starter was great, as were the steaks.
What really stood out throughout our stay were the staff - everyone went out of their way to make the birthday really really special. We brought a few items with us to decorate the room for the birthday girl, and Holly and her team on reception were superb in getting this set up for us so that it was all there as a surprise on arrival in the room, even adding their own birthday card. The staff in the restaurant were brilliant - thanks to Kristina and her team - our server really joined in with the party, decorated our table with bits we had brought and arranged for the team to come out with the birthday cake singing happy birthday - we weren't the only birthday party in the restaurant but they made both special - I'm sure that the others were having an equally good time as us!
Everyone was attentive, friendly and helpful - difficult to achieve and sustain in such a busy place on what must be limited margins - you expect this stuff from Claridges' - you dont necessarily get it in a provincial chain hotel.
So, in conclusion: inauspicious location, inauspicious looking from the outside, but great on the inside and brilliant if, like us, you are trying to bring together people from up and down the country.
The GM is clearly doing something right to get the team working together like that and long may it continue. Excellent customer service. Thankyou for making our weekend.

Room Tip: The doubles were nice and large - rooms on the back will be quieter
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bollingerbetty

Thank you for your great review, I do hope that you will be back to see us again in the near future.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Just had a 2 night weekend break - enjoyed it very much. We had a spacious room with a King size comfortable bed and view over the gardens. Well appointed rooms in a modern stylish hotel. We had two excellent dinners in the restaurant with superb service and well-cooked tasty food. The sea-food starter in garlic butter was to die for!! Breakfast a little disappointing, all buffet service and food not too hot, but staff were very helpful and attentive at all times, and this didn't spoil our enjoyment of the weekend. I would recommend this hotel for a short break, menu might get a little repetitive for a longer holiday.

Room Tip: Our room at the back overlooking the garden was fine. Friends commented that their front facing room...
1  Thank nincornwall

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your positive feedback.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Initial impressions from the outside of the hotel were not great however from the moment you enter the reception area...things improved. Our room was nicely furnished and bed was comfortable. It all appears to have been recently updated. Had dinner - which was tasty and breakfast, which was ok.
The pool area, whilst clean and having all the facilities, had (in our opinion) more of a 'leisure centre' feel about it as opposed to a spa - but it was still nice to be able to have a swim, and as I said, it was clean and the staff there were very friendly and helpful.

Overall a great value for money night away (we stayed on a special DBB basis)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your constructive and helpful feedback. I hope you will come back to the area and visit us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings
Hilton Puckrup Hall, Tewkesbury

Been to Hallmark Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!