“30th Birthday Celebration-a fantastic time had by all!”

Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“30th Birthday Celebration-a fantastic time had by all!”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I'm really surprised by the poor reviews I'm reading on here about the Hallmark Hotel Gloucester. I stayed here along with 7 other girls on Sat 30th June for my 30th Birthday and we had a fantastic time! When we arrived our rooms were ready over 2 hours ahead of time so we were able to put our bags in and have a little explore before having a very nice lunch in the Bar area. The rooms were modern, welcoming and cleaned to a high standard. The lunches were very nice although a tad expensive and were served on very nice crockery in a calm and cosy lounge area.
We then spent time using the spa facilities which weren't top of the range but were clean, comfortable and satisfactory. A downside was that the pool is open to the public and there were children and families splashing around which I had not previously realised before booking and not what you would expect for a spa. Never the less, this didn't inhibit us from having a thoroughly enjoyable time in there as noise was to a minimum and it didn't become to busy.
7 out of the 8 of us, including myself all had back, neck and shoulder massages. This was absolutely lovely too. I almost fell asleep during mine!! One of us had a bright eye treatment which was also reported to be very good.
We all had a 3 course meal during the evening as part of our package. The food was very nice and the service from our young waiters was very good too and we certainly gave them a run for their money (in a nice way of course!!). A few things weren't available as listed on the menu ie lamb but we were offered an alternative of steak which incurred an extra charged which was wavered. We also met the manager at the end of the night who was very friendly and welcoming and who took the time to make conversation with my party of eight and assisted in providing us with three ice buckets to take back to our room.
During the early hours, around 2am I think, an alarm did go off, this was very short though and our group wasn't at all effected by this as we were all still up chatting and drinking in one of our rooms. However I understand this would have been very disturbing for people who were sleeping and who had young children. Not good. The alarm also went of again briefly during breakfast but again our group were unphased by this.
We had a great time here, infact we wished it was longer than one day and one night. Was definately worth every penny and great value for money. We paid £79 pp through 'spabreaks.com' and this included full use of spa facilities over two days, a treatment of our choice, 3 course meal, overnight stay and an unlimited breakfast. I would definately recommend this. The positives by far out weighed the negatives. I had a very memorable time xx

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave us this constructive review. It is great to learn that overall you enjoyed your visit to Gloucester and also very helpful to recieve your comments of where we can improve. I do hope that you will come back and visit us again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We expected a relaxing stay at a four star hotel, not a 1/2 star b&b. A travel lodge puts hallmark hotels to shame. When payed for a romantic weekend package and didn't receive it. When we got into our room we had a hand full of plastic pestle on the bed with just three cheap chocolates on a dirty plate. It was so hot in the room so we tried to open the windows as there was no air conditioning but the windows barly opened 10cm. Then tried the swimming pool in the leisure facilities.....well clean is not in their training skills.....dirt all over the bottom of the swimming pool, bad rust all over the bridge, stains all over the flooring. We then went for our dinner.....I couldn't believe that the assistant waiters didn't even know how to show us to our table until the manager came over. Ordered the beef medium rare and it came out very rare!

No charger for the shaver in the bedroom which was anoying, then the alarm went off at 2am and 6am in the morning. Ruind our romantic get away. At breakfast two of the listings on the menu weren't available then to cap it all of when we returned at 3.30 in the afternoon our bed still had not been changed or cleared.

It was like staying at a 1 star hotel in benidorm.......nightmare

It was worth £25 per night not £145. Worst money I have ever spent.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank William T

Travelers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2012

This was a present bought for us for my girlfriends birthday. Very glad i did not have to pay for it myself! Whilst the rooms are nice, good TV and comfortable bed the food is awful. The 1/2 kilo of mussells was more like 200g with no sauce, I paid £14.50 for sea bream with just the 1 fillet and some way overcooked prawns. Girlfriend had the £16.50 lamb which is clearly a boil in the bag type dish with very little meat. Chips were nice though. Dont see the point in rocket (or mixed leaf if you read the menu) on a dish with gravy, lamb and potatoes. Maybe some carrots or general mixed veg would of been nice.

We have been to restaurants with a michelin star which have the same priced food and have been excellent. Note to the chef - just because you serve food on a wooden board doesnt make it high quality! He or she has been watching way too much celebrity chefs and does not have the skill to put it together.

Ideal hotel if you need to crash somehere for the evening on business but out for anything else.

Oh and before I forget the fire alarm went off at 2am, 9am and 10am. Glad our baby wasnt with us!

1 Thank elli0tt24
, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
I am sorry that you did not enjoy every aspect of your stay with us; I do hope that you will contact me directly so that we can discuss your issues further. We do usually receive fantastic feedback in regards to our restaurant selection, which I believe is of a great quality and at a market leading price. All of our food is cooked fresh by our team every day.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Our first impression of the hotel was good, however entering our room or should I say sauna as the room was so hot and the window hardly opened are views started to change.
The food in the hotel was the worst we have ever had and we sent our starter back twice before it come back kind of acceptable. The main course was also dis-appointing and my husband could hardly get through his steak as it was so chewy. As we had paid for 3 courses we then opted for the chesse and biscuits, what a mistake, The grapes had defintley seen better days and the stilton cheese had a fury jacket. At this stage we sent it back and asked for the bill where there was more confusion. Overall this was the worst night at a hotel in our lifes.
I would like to also point out that we never ever complain but the food was so bad we had no option. I am very surprised this is a 4 star hotel as food was of such a poor standard.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
It is very disappointing to learn that your experience with us was not as it should have been. We do usually receive fantastic feedback about our restaurant dining experience and it is extremely popular, with demand far outweighing availability at busy times. I do hope that you will contact me directly regarding your comments, so that I can feedback to the team constructively to improve our offering in the future.
St Albans
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Nicely sited in a semi rural location on the South East side of Gloucester. Creates a very good first impression with a modern reception area following a £3 million pound refurbshment of thehotel.Room 123 was a dimly lit, poorly maintained room overlooking the brickwall of the leisure facilities, a few feet away. Two of the seven downlighters in the room were not working, and although "sold" as a double room had only one chair, and a standard size double bed. On investigating the loud repititive banging during the course of the evening we realised the room was directly over the squash courts which was the source of the intrusive noise, and further learned that the courts had been booked out until 20.30hrs - so no prospect of relief. Following a strong complaint to management we were moved the following day to room 34. What a transformation, the room was larger, well maintained, nicely furnished and overlooked the grounds of the hotel, had two chairs, a king size double bed and no intrusive noises from the squash courts which were at the other end of the hotel.

The brasserie was disappointing for dinner with relatively high prices for simple dishes and it appeared only basic culinary skills in the kitchen. Bread on the second evening was returned to the kitchens with the comment that "it looked mean for two people"as it consisted of two thin slices from a baguette, and was returned with their more standard portion of four slices of bread. No jugs of iced water were available as a function in the hotel required all the jugs. Bottled water was declined, and replaced with two glasses of iced water. Breakfast created a much better impression with a hot and cold buffet from cereal and fuit juices, to a full cooked breakfast, with toast, croissants and pastries to finish, and coffee served to the table. Service throughout dinner and breakfast was friendly and helpful, but again it appeared only basic culinary skills in the kitchen at breakfast.

Room Tip: Request a room well away from the squash courts and leisure centre
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
I am sorry that you were not totally satisfied with your recent visit to the Hallmark Gloucester, I am pleased that we were able to address your issues during your stay in regards your allocated room. Our restaurant menu is intended to be simple and accessible; this is a reflection of national taste and expectation, not the skill level of our kitchen team. Please contact me directly so that we can further discuss your constructive comments.
Southwold, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I enjoyed a splendid couple of nights with my daughter at the Hallmark, Gloucester. Lovely room and public areas, great staff and very convenient for the ski slope opposite

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. I hope that you will be back to see us again very soon.
solihull england
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We arrived at this hotel on Sat 23rd June after booking a deal through late rooms. The outside of the hotel isn't to much to look at but on entering the lobby area the hotel has a smart new look to it with nice colour co-ordinated chairs, fabrics, etc.

The receptionist was very pleasant and sorted out a problem with the booking (Hadn't come through from laterooms though I booked on the Tues 19th)

The room itself was very good again furnished to a good standard and the bathroom was smart and bright with black granite surfaces.

We spent an hour or so in the leisure centres swimming pool, which although it could do with sprucing up a bit was very nice with a warm pool, sauna, steam and several jacuzzis built into the pool itself.

We booked and evening meal as part of the package and at £20 per head for a three course meal was good value and was of a good quality. I tried to order a couple of bottles of wine but both were out of stock so ended up with my third choice (not cheap!!) I also fancied a pint of bitter on tap but unfortunatley this had ran out. Something I don't expect for a four star hotel.

A good nights sleep was followed by a walk down to the buffet breakfast and this unfortunatley was where the hotel let itself down badly and why I took a rating score off.

On arrival at the restaurant we had a short wait whilst a table was prepared for us, we were seated by a pleasant young lady who seemed to be running the service along with four other ver young waiters/ress's. It then went down hill, I was told to help myself to what I wanted from the buffet, I really wish it could have been that easy. I went up to where the fruit juices etc were served from but there were no glasses available. I asked for some which were brought out after a few minutes wait. I then tried to get some toast, there was no bread available in the baskets, so I asked the manageress for some white bread, I was told there was no white bread left and the brown would be out shortly. It come after about ten minutes warm but chilled in the centre. I have a feeling it was frozen and been defrosted in the microwave. The time was approx 0930hrs so still an hour of service to go. I went to the have a full breakfast and after queing for approx 5 minutes I went to help myself to bacon. None in the serving tray. Sausages. None in the serving tray. This was repeated with the fried eggs, beans and mushrooms, the only thing available was a very sorry looking scrambled egg which had gone hard. I asked a young waiter for bacon etc, and he went off into the kitchen. At this point fried toms were brought out. But then only a few, this kept happening with all the ingredients. A few eggs would be brought out. But then a wait of at least ten minutes to when a few sausages were brought out followed a bit later by a bowl of beans, I am not exaggerating to say I waited 30 minutes for the bacon to arrive,it took me more than forty minutes to create a full breakfast !!

Staff were apologetic throughout but this isn't good enough for an establishment advertising themselves as a four star institute to have these problems. I know food shouldn't be wasted in these tough economic times but a buffet breakfast should be regulary topped up so people can help themselves when they want something and not have to eat bits of the breakfast that many people were doing so it was hot whilst they ate it. My wife and I have a weekend break on average about once every couple of months and I have to say this was the worst breakfast we've encountered on our travels. The breakfast was included in the package if it wasn't I would have refused to pay.

It was ashame that this spoilt what was a good weekend break, but I would have to think about stopping there again because of the breakfast experiance, which is a shame as we enjoy Gloucester docks and the shopping centre there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave us this constructive feedback, it is great to learn that you enjoyed your stay and very disappointing that the breakfast on Sunday was not up to our usual standard. I can only apologise that you encountered such a poor service, I do hope that you will contact me directly so that I can have the chance to improve your lasting impression of the Hallmark Gloucester.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings
The Edward Hotel
The Edward Hotel
#8 of 21 in Gloucester

Been to Hallmark Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!