“Like the Curate's egg, good in parts” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
St Albans
“Like the Curate's egg, good in parts”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

Nicely sited in a semi rural location on the South East side of Gloucester. Creates a very good first impression with a modern reception area following a £3 million pound refurbshment of thehotel.Room 123 was a dimly lit, poorly maintained room overlooking the brickwall of the leisure facilities, a few feet away. Two of the seven downlighters in the room were not working, and although "sold" as a double room had only one chair, and a standard size double bed. On investigating the loud repititive banging during the course of the evening we realised the room was directly over the squash courts which was the source of the intrusive noise, and further learned that the courts had been booked out until 20.30hrs - so no prospect of relief. Following a strong complaint to management we were moved the following day to room 34. What a transformation, the room was larger, well maintained, nicely furnished and overlooked the grounds of the hotel, had two chairs, a king size double bed and no intrusive noises from the squash courts which were at the other end of the hotel.

The brasserie was disappointing for dinner with relatively high prices for simple dishes and it appeared only basic culinary skills in the kitchen. Bread on the second evening was returned to the kitchens with the comment that "it looked mean for two people"as it consisted of two thin slices from a baguette, and was returned with their more standard portion of four slices of bread. No jugs of iced water were available as a function in the hotel required all the jugs. Bottled water was declined, and replaced with two glasses of iced water. Breakfast created a much better impression with a hot and cold buffet from cereal and fuit juices, to a full cooked breakfast, with toast, croissants and pastries to finish, and coffee served to the table. Service throughout dinner and breakfast was friendly and helpful, but again it appeared only basic culinary skills in the kitchen at breakfast.

Room Tip: Request a room well away from the squash courts and leisure centre
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
I am sorry that you were not totally satisfied with your recent visit to the Hallmark Gloucester, I am pleased that we were able to address your issues during your stay in regards your allocated room. Our restaurant menu is intended to be simple and accessible; this is a reflection of national taste and expectation, not the skill level of our kitchen team. Please contact me directly so that we can further discuss your constructive comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Southwold, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

I enjoyed a splendid couple of nights with my daughter at the Hallmark, Gloucester. Lovely room and public areas, great staff and very convenient for the ski slope opposite

• 4 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. I hope that you will be back to see us again very soon.
solihull england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

We arrived at this hotel on Sat 23rd June after booking a deal through late rooms. The outside of the hotel isn't to much to look at but on entering the lobby area the hotel has a smart new look to it with nice colour co-ordinated chairs, fabrics, etc.

The receptionist was very pleasant and sorted out a problem with the booking (Hadn't come through from laterooms though I booked on the Tues 19th)

The room itself was very good again furnished to a good standard and the bathroom was smart and bright with black granite surfaces.

We spent an hour or so in the leisure centres swimming pool, which although it could do with sprucing up a bit was very nice with a warm pool, sauna, steam and several jacuzzis built into the pool itself.

We booked and evening meal as part of the package and at £20 per head for a three course meal was good value and was of a good quality. I tried to order a couple of bottles of wine but both were out of stock so ended up with my third choice (not cheap!!) I also fancied a pint of bitter on tap but unfortunatley this had ran out. Something I don't expect for a four star hotel.

A good nights sleep was followed by a walk down to the buffet breakfast and this unfortunatley was where the hotel let itself down badly and why I took a rating score off.

On arrival at the restaurant we had a short wait whilst a table was prepared for us, we were seated by a pleasant young lady who seemed to be running the service along with four other ver young waiters/ress's. It then went down hill, I was told to help myself to what I wanted from the buffet, I really wish it could have been that easy. I went up to where the fruit juices etc were served from but there were no glasses available. I asked for some which were brought out after a few minutes wait. I then tried to get some toast, there was no bread available in the baskets, so I asked the manageress for some white bread, I was told there was no white bread left and the brown would be out shortly. It come after about ten minutes warm but chilled in the centre. I have a feeling it was frozen and been defrosted in the microwave. The time was approx 0930hrs so still an hour of service to go. I went to the have a full breakfast and after queing for approx 5 minutes I went to help myself to bacon. None in the serving tray. Sausages. None in the serving tray. This was repeated with the fried eggs, beans and mushrooms, the only thing available was a very sorry looking scrambled egg which had gone hard. I asked a young waiter for bacon etc, and he went off into the kitchen. At this point fried toms were brought out. But then only a few, this kept happening with all the ingredients. A few eggs would be brought out. But then a wait of at least ten minutes to when a few sausages were brought out followed a bit later by a bowl of beans, I am not exaggerating to say I waited 30 minutes for the bacon to arrive,it took me more than forty minutes to create a full breakfast !!

Staff were apologetic throughout but this isn't good enough for an establishment advertising themselves as a four star institute to have these problems. I know food shouldn't be wasted in these tough economic times but a buffet breakfast should be regulary topped up so people can help themselves when they want something and not have to eat bits of the breakfast that many people were doing so it was hot whilst they ate it. My wife and I have a weekend break on average about once every couple of months and I have to say this was the worst breakfast we've encountered on our travels. The breakfast was included in the package if it wasn't I would have refused to pay.

It was ashame that this spoilt what was a good weekend break, but I would have to think about stopping there again because of the breakfast experiance, which is a shame as we enjoy Gloucester docks and the shopping centre there.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave us this constructive feedback, it is great to learn that you enjoyed your stay and very disappointing that the breakfast on Sunday was not up to our usual standard. I can only apologise that you encountered such a poor service, I do hope that you will contact me directly so that I can have the chance to improve your lasting impression of the Hallmark Gloucester.
Bovey Tracey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

This hotel has 95 bedrooms & has recently had a big refurbishment. The rooms are now very clean, modern,stylish, contemporary & comfortable. The hotel offers many "packages" to entice various groups of people to stay so was consequently fully booked & as a result the staff were struggling to cope. The leisure facilities were choc a block so we decided to give them a miss.
The large restaurent was buzzing with families, couples, a hen party & a golfing party, so a quiet table for two was not really on the agenda that night. The food was nicely presented but not of great quality & a little disapointing. The breakfast was a help yourself buffet with plenty of choice but again not great quality - the scrambled egg resembled porridge & the sausages had very little meat content (if any).
I would suggest this hotel to families as they do very good deals which include entrance tickets to various attractions such as the Cotswold Wildlife Park & Berkley Castle. The leisure facilities & the fact that it is situated directly opposite the dry ski slope provide a wide range of activities to keep children amused in any sort of weather.
I would also think the hotel is good for business travellers as it is situated about 3 miles away from the city of Gloucester itself & is a good base for exploring the cotswolds.
The city of Gloucester itself was interesting, very run down in parts, & very pretty in others. The "Quays" area is up & coming & has the ususal harbourside apartments, cafe's, coffee shops & outlet stores, but it is still very quiet & I wonder if it will survive the recession. The cathedral is beautiful.
We enjoyed our stay, but wouldn't be desperate to go back.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, June 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I am sorry if the recent high demand led to you not enjoying all of our facilities. Our breakfast and dinner offerings are designed to be the best in our market so I was sorry to learn that you were disappointed with the offering, I do hope that you will visit us again soon.
London Heathrow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

Very clean hotel. Typical conference style place really. Stayed in a big family room for two nights. Main bed was large enough for 2 adults + one 5 year old. Didn't really need the rather squeaky and lumpy portable extra bed. Coffee and tea making kit - but no fridge? The bathroom was clean and bright. No visible stains! Would have liked a toilet brush all the same. Good restaurant with a varied menu and well cooked / presented dishes. Not expensive for a 4 star so good value I'd say. There is an adjacent bar with its own menu. Not too pricey also and reasonably well stocked. We used the pool which was clean and warm, with a big jacuzzi. Gym and health club not used but looked good in passing. The staff were all polite and helpful although I did witness one confused overseas customer trying hard and failing miserably to interpret the rapid, locally accented instructions from reception.The hotel location is (geographically) convenient with good access to local and national routes, however I definitely wouldn't recommend walking around the immediate local area! All in all a good experience and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay upstairs if possible as there are slightly creaky wooden floors in some rooms which could wake...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, June 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your detailed and constructive feedback. I do hope that you will consider using us again when you are next in the area.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

Great stay... The refurb has definitely paid off. Went ther before when it was under different management and I had vowed I would not return... But when I read on line that it had recently been renovated I thought I would give it a chance.... And I am very pleased I did.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Chokomilo
Thank you for leaving us such fantastic feedback, it is really helpfull to learn where we have made a guests stay so enjoyable as well as where we need to improve. I hope that you will be back to visit us again very soon!
Doncaster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

Had a lovely 2 day break for our 26th Wedding Anniversary, the rooms are lovely but the restaurant we found a bit of a joke. Definately not 4 star service. Waited ages for wine which was just left unopened, other table ordered same wine and got totally different. Meals being delivered to wrong tables, dirty cutlery and cracked glasses. Served by very young and inexperienced waiters. I do not expect to be greeted by 'Hi Guys how you doing' when sat eating an evening meal in a 4*? restaurant, - more suitable for a burger bar. The overall restaurant experience let the hotel down. Please don't be put off, worth a visit if you have a good sense of humour and plenty of time to wait. A wonderful cheerful lady - Caroline in the bar helped make our stay enjoyable, she is definately customer focused.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
I am sorry that some aspects of your recent stay with us were disappointing, your feedback is essential for us to improve our customer’s future satisfaction, thank you for taking the time to leave us this constructive review. Whilst we are a brassiere style restaurant and therefore relatively informal there is no excuse for any shortfall in our service, please contact me directly so that we can further discuss your issue.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
Hotel Ibis Gloucester
#3 of 21 in Gloucester
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,050 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Gloucester South

Been to Hallmark Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!