“Lovely stay”

Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I enjoyed a splendid couple of nights with my daughter at the Hallmark, Gloucester. Lovely room and public areas, great staff and very convenient for the ski slope opposite

Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. I hope that you will be back to see us again very soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,757)

Reviewed June 25, 2012

We arrived at this hotel on Sat 23rd June after booking a deal through late rooms. The outside of the hotel isn't to much to look at but on entering the lobby area the hotel has a smart new look to it with nice colour co-ordinated chairs, fabrics, etc.

The receptionist was very pleasant and sorted out a problem with the booking (Hadn't come through from laterooms though I booked on the Tues 19th)

The room itself was very good again furnished to a good standard and the bathroom was smart and bright with black granite surfaces.

We spent an hour or so in the leisure centres swimming pool, which although it could do with sprucing up a bit was very nice with a warm pool, sauna, steam and several jacuzzis built into the pool itself.

We booked and evening meal as part of the package and at £20 per head for a three course meal was good value and was of a good quality. I tried to order a couple of bottles of wine but both were out of stock so ended up with my third choice (not cheap!!) I also fancied a pint of bitter on tap but unfortunatley this had ran out. Something I don't expect for a four star hotel.

A good nights sleep was followed by a walk down to the buffet breakfast and this unfortunatley was where the hotel let itself down badly and why I took a rating score off.

On arrival at the restaurant we had a short wait whilst a table was prepared for us, we were seated by a pleasant young lady who seemed to be running the service along with four other ver young waiters/ress's. It then went down hill, I was told to help myself to what I wanted from the buffet, I really wish it could have been that easy. I went up to where the fruit juices etc were served from but there were no glasses available. I asked for some which were brought out after a few minutes wait. I then tried to get some toast, there was no bread available in the baskets, so I asked the manageress for some white bread, I was told there was no white bread left and the brown would be out shortly. It come after about ten minutes warm but chilled in the centre. I have a feeling it was frozen and been defrosted in the microwave. The time was approx 0930hrs so still an hour of service to go. I went to the have a full breakfast and after queing for approx 5 minutes I went to help myself to bacon. None in the serving tray. Sausages. None in the serving tray. This was repeated with the fried eggs, beans and mushrooms, the only thing available was a very sorry looking scrambled egg which had gone hard. I asked a young waiter for bacon etc, and he went off into the kitchen. At this point fried toms were brought out. But then only a few, this kept happening with all the ingredients. A few eggs would be brought out. But then a wait of at least ten minutes to when a few sausages were brought out followed a bit later by a bowl of beans, I am not exaggerating to say I waited 30 minutes for the bacon to arrive,it took me more than forty minutes to create a full breakfast !!

Staff were apologetic throughout but this isn't good enough for an establishment advertising themselves as a four star institute to have these problems. I know food shouldn't be wasted in these tough economic times but a buffet breakfast should be regulary topped up so people can help themselves when they want something and not have to eat bits of the breakfast that many people were doing so it was hot whilst they ate it. My wife and I have a weekend break on average about once every couple of months and I have to say this was the worst breakfast we've encountered on our travels. The breakfast was included in the package if it wasn't I would have refused to pay.

It was ashame that this spoilt what was a good weekend break, but I would have to think about stopping there again because of the breakfast experiance, which is a shame as we enjoy Gloucester docks and the shopping centre there.

Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this constructive feedback, it is great to learn that you enjoyed your stay and very disappointing that the breakfast on Sunday was not up to our usual standard. I can only apologise that you encountered such a poor service, I do hope that you will contact me directly so that I can have the chance to improve your lasting impression of the Hallmark Gloucester.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

This hotel has 95 bedrooms & has recently had a big refurbishment. The rooms are now very clean, modern,stylish, contemporary & comfortable. The hotel offers many "packages" to entice various groups of people to stay so was consequently fully booked & as a result the staff were struggling to cope. The leisure facilities were choc a block so we decided to give them a miss.
The large restaurent was buzzing with families, couples, a hen party & a golfing party, so a quiet table for two was not really on the agenda that night. The food was nicely presented but not of great quality & a little disapointing. The breakfast was a help yourself buffet with plenty of choice but again not great quality - the scrambled egg resembled porridge & the sausages had very little meat content (if any).
I would suggest this hotel to families as they do very good deals which include entrance tickets to various attractions such as the Cotswold Wildlife Park & Berkley Castle. The leisure facilities & the fact that it is situated directly opposite the dry ski slope provide a wide range of activities to keep children amused in any sort of weather.
I would also think the hotel is good for business travellers as it is situated about 3 miles away from the city of Gloucester itself & is a good base for exploring the cotswolds.
The city of Gloucester itself was interesting, very run down in parts, & very pretty in others. The "Quays" area is up & coming & has the ususal harbourside apartments, cafe's, coffee shops & outlet stores, but it is still very quiet & I wonder if it will survive the recession. The cathedral is beautiful.
We enjoyed our stay, but wouldn't be desperate to go back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I am sorry if the recent high demand led to you not enjoying all of our facilities. Our breakfast and dinner offerings are designed to be the best in our market so I was sorry to learn that you were disappointed with the offering, I do hope that you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

Very clean hotel. Typical conference style place really. Stayed in a big family room for two nights. Main bed was large enough for 2 adults + one 5 year old. Didn't really need the rather squeaky and lumpy portable extra bed. Coffee and tea making kit - but no fridge? The bathroom was clean and bright. No visible stains! Would have liked a toilet brush all the same. Good restaurant with a varied menu and well cooked / presented dishes. Not expensive for a 4 star so good value I'd say. There is an adjacent bar with its own menu. Not too pricey also and reasonably well stocked. We used the pool which was clean and warm, with a big jacuzzi. Gym and health club not used but looked good in passing. The staff were all polite and helpful although I did witness one confused overseas customer trying hard and failing miserably to interpret the rapid, locally accented instructions from reception.The hotel location is (geographically) convenient with good access to local and national routes, however I definitely wouldn't recommend walking around the immediate local area! All in all a good experience and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay upstairs if possible as there are slightly creaky wooden floors in some rooms which could wake...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your detailed and constructive feedback. I do hope that you will consider using us again when you are next in the area.

Reviewed June 14, 2012

Great stay... The refurb has definitely paid off. Went ther before when it was under different management and I had vowed I would not return... But when I read on line that it had recently been renovated I thought I would give it a chance.... And I am very pleased I did.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Chokomilo

Thank you for leaving us such fantastic feedback, it is really helpfull to learn where we have made a guests stay so enjoyable as well as where we need to improve. I hope that you will be back to visit us again very soon!

Reviewed June 10, 2012

Had a lovely 2 day break for our 26th Wedding Anniversary, the rooms are lovely but the restaurant we found a bit of a joke. Definately not 4 star service. Waited ages for wine which was just left unopened, other table ordered same wine and got totally different. Meals being delivered to wrong tables, dirty cutlery and cracked glasses. Served by very young and inexperienced waiters. I do not expect to be greeted by 'Hi Guys how you doing' when sat eating an evening meal in a 4*? restaurant, - more suitable for a burger bar. The overall restaurant experience let the hotel down. Please don't be put off, worth a visit if you have a good sense of humour and plenty of time to wait. A wonderful cheerful lady - Caroline in the bar helped make our stay enjoyable, she is definately customer focused.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

I am sorry that some aspects of your recent stay with us were disappointing, your feedback is essential for us to improve our customer’s future satisfaction, thank you for taking the time to leave us this constructive review. Whilst we are a brassiere style restaurant and therefore relatively informal there is no excuse for any shortfall in our service, please contact me directly so that we can further discuss your issue.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

This hotel has had a massive refurbishment recently so all looks quite 'swish' in the Hotel, Restaurant/Bar and Spa treatment area, which is attached to the Hotel. It is important to note that the Gym, Changing Area, Swimming Pool with adjoining steam, Spa and Sauna have NOT been renovated at all so do not compare to the 'newness' of the Main Hotel in the adjoining block, and as result are disappointing as they lack 'sparkle', are slightly grungy and quite basic. The gym/pool/squash is for use in addition to local residents so that is important to point out. The staff at the Gym are perfectly pleasant, friendly when encouraged, and it is equipped with enough equipment to maintain fitness, however, some guests might be disappointed if this is compared to the overall quality of the Hotel, and might feel mislead if they were booking a "spa break".
Rooms are clean, new, modern, everything working, well equipped, set out professionally for hotel use (e.g. black out curtains that over-lap and do not let any light in etc) and cleaned to a good standard.
Front of house Staff are kept busy, and make every effort to be polite, try hard, and maintain a professional attitude, and accommodate as quickly as possible any requests. This was appreciated and noted.
Restaurant food has plenty of choice, and again, staff work really hard (it was a very busy and full weekend) and try really hard to deliver a professional service and make sure guests are happy with everything.
If I had to look for 'minor faults/quibbles' I would point out that the telephone booking took some time, I was transferred to Head Office by mistake, I had to chase to get my booking reservation number so i could feel at full peace that the reservation had gone through, check out was quite slow, and it took 20 minutes to be served even a refreshment in the evening meal slot that we pre-booked. Again, when I requested service, this was given very willingly.
It is important to note that staff try hard and work hard, and perhaps could be better supported by better training and having more colleagues to help in busy times such as half term weekends etc.
All areas appeared family friendly, disabled access was possible, and as we booked a special package/deal we were very pleased that we had got good value for our money and would happily return if a similar deal became available. We did agree that if paying full price for the room and food, then for the room and bed quality, and food quality with service, we might have felt less satisfied overall and might be tempted to look elsewhere in the future should we return to the area.
NB: The drive to the hotel does take you through Council Estate Housing, as read in other reviews, however the hotel itself is perfectly green and pleasant once in the grounds.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room when we booked, and were successful so very happy. Room 120 was on the Gro...
1  Thank buck_stephen

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your detailed and constructive feedback. I t is fantastic to learn that over all you were satisfied with your stay and we appreciate your points that will help us to improve in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings
Hilton Puckrup Hall, Tewkesbury

Been to Hallmark Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!