“needs more staff on reception”

Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
liverpool
“needs more staff on reception”
Reviewed July 18, 2011

we checked in about 5 oclock in the evening we had booked in advance with superbreak and payed in advance but at check in we were told by the receptionist she had to take the inn print of the stay on the card again to be held off for breakages we were not happy with this because we had already paid in advance for this with superbreak the manager then did clear this up this hotel has lots of contracts with different companies and lots of different packages but upon check in we where told the cream tea and the free tapas were not included but superbreak told us this was included i think the management should in form the reception what packages are with each company so you do not have a situation at check in not a good impression on the customer or the hotel
the evening meal was very good and the staff where very pleasent
on the departure i would say you need to check your bill carefully has they tryed to charge a supplement for the evening meal which we did not have also the billing could be easier for the customer if they have already pre payed
we did enjoy our stay after the intial check inn process does need a little tweeking but i am sure this will happen in the future.

Room Tip: rooms where lovely and very clean
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
GloucesterGM, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your feedback, and glad to read that you enjoyed your stay. My apologies for the situation you encountered on check-in - this was a new package at the time, and I am sorry if the team were not familiarised with the details prior to your arrival. I was also sorry to read about the mix-up with your bill. I was glad to read that you rated the team, and your evening meal was enjoyed. Thank you for your feedback, and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

James Plant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Wales
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Mum and I stayed this week on the Travel Zoo deal. We had great difficulty finding the place. If we had known it was opposite the ski run maybe we would have found it easier. Decor/room/staff were great. Queried the £14 each tea - we only had one plate and was diffiuclt halving the 3 finger sandwiches and 1" fairy cake! Were told this was an error. Our evening meal was delicious, but it took two hours which was rather a long time. Hotel entrance bland. Outside there was some space and some green with trees but not one seat. Mum smoked! No provision for smokers butts. Spa treatment was excellent. Rather bad planning having people walking through the bar/dining room in leisure gear. Not one leaflet on display in reception about local area. Shame as we had no idea about the area at all. Not a hotel we would return to.

Room Tip: Confirm if you require twin or double, their computer shows incorrect information
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, and taking the time to write a review. I am sorry you had some areas of disatisfaction, such as being unable to find the hotel, and clearly a mix-up with a afternoon tea for one instead of two. I was glad to read that you enjoyed the meal and the Spa, but my apologies on the areas that were not as they should have been. We are in the process of creating a smoking area outside, and this weekend sees the completion of the gardens to the rear, with patio and outside seating, so this is now done, albeit too late for your stay, for which I can only apologise. Our Reception desk is well stocked with local leaflets and information, and had you asked I would be confident they could provide all sorts of local leaflets, information and knowledge. Once again, thank you foryour feedback, and I hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel again.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2011

me and my partner stayed here after a wedding event. the rooms had just been refurbished and were lovely and modern,the staff were very friendly especially the young bar man.the bed was so comfy we even overslept ! lovely shower too. great location and we have
re -booked for our xmas party to stay over as the party is also at this venue . great stay and value for money . thanks tracy hawkins x

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Tracy,

We will look forward to seeing you at Christmas then!? Glad to know the stay went well, and you both enjoyed yourselves. Thank you for your feedback, and I hope you enjoy the party night - we have quite a range on this year.

Bury St Edmunds
Reviewed July 6, 2011

We came here on a deal with Travelzoo for my husbands birthday, weekend 2/3 July. We arrived early and the receptionist told us in no uncertain terms she was unable to book us in until 2.30 even though it was a 2.00 check in. The front of the hotel was being refurbished but the slight detour didn't bother us, and was well signed. By the time we came back at 4.00 there was another receptionist who was much more helpful and courteous. Our room was really nice, with huge bed, tv and armchairs, and nice touches like the hairdryer, coffee, tea and biscuits, though the view out onto scaffolding and building work was somewhat disappointing. Bathroom and toiletries were good, though we did have trouble with the shower knob which kept coming off and was difficult to rethread. Breakfast, both staff and food, were excellent, as was dinner on Sunday evening, very well presented and good food quality. The afternoon tea was slightly disappointing with squirty cream for the scone, but given that it was included in a very good deal not worth complaining about. Like a previous reviewer, we found it quite disconcerting that when sitting in the bar, hotel guests were returning from the leisure facilities wrapped only in towels and with bare feet - didn't feel quite right somehow! All in all though, we had excellent nights sleep in large comfortable bed and black out curtains making sure we didn't wake up too early, good food and polite, helpful staff for a more than reasonable price - lovely weekend over all.

1 Thank PaulineBuryStEdmunds
Dear Pauline,

Many thanks for your review and your kind words - delighted to hear that you both had a lovely weekend. I will share your comments with the team - thanks for your comments there; I am proud of the team we have here, and how well they look after our guests, although my apologies if we could have made your welcome a little warmer. I was glad to read you enjoyed the room, and my apologies on the shower issue you raised; we have since resolved this issue. I am also happy to say that the serious refurbishment work is now complete, with just some final touches of decorating gong on, but all scaffolding and building sites are a thing of the past. Finally, I should just point out that the cream for our afternoon teas is simply fresh whipping cream - it is whipped until stiff, put into a piping bag and piped out, giving a neat appearance - definately not from a can ! I trust the afternoon teas were enjyed, and once again, thank you for your feedback. Hope we can welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Bournemouth
Reviewed July 4, 2011

We stayed for two nights on a Travelzoo deal. The room was very pleasantly furnished, very large comfortable bed and plenty of storage, huge flat screen tv. Although there was no air con in room, a fan would have been welcome as the room was very hot and stuffy despite opening windows. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Bar service though was very slow, waited 10 minutes for a drink although we were the only ones waiting to be served.
Breakfast was of a good variety and plentiful. However, the food on both evenings was very poor. My husband is a chef and he would not have put his name to the "chef's salad". He has never ordered salad where there was more chicken than salad and that's not because there was a lot of chicken! As for crushed new potatoes, potato would be more accurate. We have had better meals in a Wetherspoon pub. We actually asked whether there was a real chef in the kitchen or just somebody helping out.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
GloucesterGM, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
Dear Florence Bournemouth,

Firstly, thank you for your feedback, and your kind words about our team. I am made proud every day by them going the extra mile to look after our guests. I was glad to read that you had enjoyed your room, and would just mention that we do have both ehaters and fans available upon request, and had you requested from Reception, one could have been delivered - my apologies if this was not apparant. I was also glad to readthat breakfast was enjoyed - we have a standard we are very happy with here, and it seems to please most people very well. I would like to apologise regarding your comments for the evening service, and salad discussed. Generally, our Chef's salad contains a full chicken breast, slowly poached with lemon and garlic, and assorted vegetables and leaves for the salad component; if this was in any way lacking, my sincere apologies, and I hope as you will see below, it is most unusual for us to receive food issues such as this. Once again, thank you for your review, and my apologies the salad was not on a par with the rest of the stay described.
Warwickshire
Reviewed July 3, 2011

We stopped here last night as a surprise birthday treat for one of us, booked through lastminute.com. The hotel was booked based on the hotel's own website-advertising newly refurbished rooms in April 2011 and 2 for 1 on mains in the hotel's brasserie. We checked in at 4.30pm, receptionist was very friendly and we went off happily to our room. First impressions were disappointing as the room was not as shown on website. We went to go for a swim but were put off by the fact that people were walking with shoes on up and down the area where people have to walk to the pool from the changing room. Decided to give this a miss so headed for the bar which was pleasant and had obviously been decorated to a good standard. Slightly bemused to see staff and guests walking through the bar area with bare feet and sitting on the nice new sofas with their bare feet on display. Tapas was advertised everywhere, with the only restriction being it was served between 5 and 7.30. When we went to order some we were informed that it was Mon-Fri only, no reference to this anywhere. Ordered sandwich on brown bloomer bread, as listed on menu-came out on disappointing thinly sliced white bread!
Went back to the room (126) to settle down for the evening. Watched TV and were aware of a lot of clattering and noise coming from next door to us, found out this was some kind of staff utility area. 10pm onwards staff outside the window became increasingly loud, shouting, swearing, whistling and smoking, in an area that the was obviously the back of the kitchen which was directly under the bedrooms. Smoke in the room-not good, couldn't shut windows as it was a warm evening. Hideous racket coming from bedroom next door-guests were shouting and screaming. Went to reception to complain, receptionist very understanding. Were offered another room by the manager but by this point we were so stressed and annoyed that we decided to cut our losses and decided to make the 90 mile trip home for a good night's sleep. We have stopped at lots of hotels and appreciate that some noise is inevitable but this was way too extreme, especially considering most derived from the staff.

2 Thank Filbertino
Dear Guest,

I was sorry to read of your disapointment, and following the feedback from the weekend, I have tried to get in touch, so please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel. It is ashame you put off our leisure centre because it means walking over a floor shared by shoes; we do have showers available for guests to use both poolside and obviously, in the changing rooms, but this is the first time I have had to consider this issue. I was also disapointed to read your feedback regarding people choosing to sit in the bar area in bare feet. All guests who are here for Spa day packages receive slippers for their stay, to enable them to alternate from treatments and poolside and having a coffee or some lunch in the bar. Again, I have not had to consider this issue before, and can only apologise if the actions of our guests have upset you in any way - I should also clarify that I am confidant it would not have been staff walking around barefoot, althoguh perhaps I have misunderstood your comment here. I did receive some feedback that there were some noisy guest in the room next to yours, which our team had to manage accordingly, and I am sorry for the disruption this caused. I understand that as a result, you chose not to say, for which I am sorry, and naturally, this was not billed, and once again, I am very sorry your stay was not as it should have been. Once again, thank you for your feedback, and my apologies on a tainted experience.

James Plant

Travelers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Essex
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Pros: The interior of the hotel is modern, clean, light and above all new! Our room was just as the picture, indeed they are all the same. Nice touches such as biscuits, tea and coffee making, hairdryer, good tv with plenty of channels, toiletries in the bathroom. The children enjoyed the pool area and tennis court. The restaurant was well managed and clean. Breakfast was really good, plenty of choice. We did not have dinner. The staff were accommodating, smart and helpful. Equipped to handle weddings, with plenty of parking. Easy access.

Cons: Location, location, location...... Set virtually in the middle of a low cost housing estate which was neither pretty or useful. Attractions are few and far between. The Quay and cathedral are all that are within a couple of miles, The town centre really is a dump. Anything else requires a considerable drive. No pretty teashops, shops or country lanes, just KFC, big yellow storage and the rest! It is advertised as the Edge of the Cotwolds and it really is. The outside of the hotel looks pretty much prison like. No flowering beds or baskets. While we were there building work (the £3million) was still in progress and the main reception entrance could not be used which meant a walk down a gravelled steep but short path and up 3 sharp steps. Our window had a fabulous view of yet another work in progress and the wonderful addition of a pallet propped up again our wall! The ski centre opposite only takes people who are booked in for a course of lessons.

Really a massive disappointment, the £3million upgrade it has had should have been spent knocking it down selling the site and purchasing something else.

Probably a great place for a one night stopover but that's it. Sorry!!!

Room Tip: Ask for the new wing
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback, and your words. We are very proud of our refurbishment, and the stunning, contemporary hotel we now have. I was glad to read of all the areas you enjoyed, such as our extensive leisure facilities, the rooms and breakfast, and will share your feedback with the team, and thank you on their behalf for your kind words there. I was sorry to read you did not find suitable things to do with your time here - We have a fantastic range of activities on our doorstep, as well as stunning cotswold villages within ten minutes, such as Nailsworth and Painswick . Our reception team have a great array of local information, with leaflets and maps, and should you return, please ask for some local guidance, as there is a wealth of entertainment and natural beauty all around us, such as Prinknash Abbey, the rococo Gardens or the Bird & Deer park. Gloucester itself is currently undergoing huge regeneration, with huge investments in the town centre, to bring it up to speed with all the regneration work already complete with the Quays, waterways, and the designer outlet areas all complete and looking lovely, to say nothing of Cheltenham just 15 minutes drive. I do hope you are able to return, and discover some of these true gems of the county.

Best wishes,

James Plant
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings
Hatton Court Hotel
Hatton Court Hotel
#2 of 2 in Upton St Leonards

Been to Hallmark Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!