“New County Hotel Gloucester”

The New County Hotel
Ranked #19 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Located in the midlle of town with plenty of nearby restaurants and excellent pubs to eat in.Breakfast £10 each!! or £2.50 down the road. Car parking £3 per day.
Drafty cold room, with rattling sash windows without secondary glazing. Disturbed twice, at 3am and again a 4am, by switchboard phoning the wrong room.
Complained to reception on leaving and they agreed to knock £10 per night off the bill.
Complaint sent to Manager via email on our return home which hasn't been acknowledged.
Not again at this hotel!

Reviewed March 26, 2013

The location of the hotel was perfect. Right with all the shops and restaurants. My room was not at the front so I didn't get any of the noise others on tripadvisor have complained about. The room was clean, and the staff were friendly. Car parking only cost £3 for a day at Blackfrairs car park. At £65 for a Saturday, the price wasn't bad. I didn't have an evening meal or breakfast as there are loads of better resturants in the area to choose from.
The only downside to my stay was the room , the matress on the bed was very thin, and not very comfy at all. The room also had no character and was very small. The towels were clean, but not very soft. The room reminded me of travelodge style rooms- does the job with no extras. More could be done to improve the style of the rooms. There was nothing 'boutique' about my room.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We chose this hotel for two nights due to its central location and convenient car park. Our room was at the front of the hotel without any double glazing meaning that we did not achieve an unbroken nights sleep due to the traffic and general noise outside including the very loud seagulls. The staff were pleasant although forgot our morning call on the second morning and we had to constantly ask for milk for the room which house keeping consistently forgot. The room was clean and well decorated throughout.

The car park was lacking in lights and security but this did not belong to the hotel but to NCP for which hotel residents have a preferential rate of £3.00 for all day parking.

The piano bar at the front of the hotel was finished to a high specification and relaxing although a cocktail menu would of been preferable to the white wine served at room temperature and only the conference and banqueting lady knew how to make Irish coffee.

This is a convenient hotel whith a boutique feel but if we stayed again I would ask for a room at the back of the hotel and would expect for the room rate to have the car parking and breakfast included. We chose to breakfast a few doors down at Patisserie Valerie who do an excellent breakfast for less than the £10.00 hotel additional cost. We did notice that there are very few restaurants in Gloucester so would recommend that if future visitors would like to eat at either Cafe Rene or Tiger's Eye on a Friday or Saturday evening booking is essential.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

The hotel has clearly been refurbished and the bar area is very pleasant. However it did seem rather strange to have breakfast served in the ballroom. It felt like attending a conference. The bedrooms were clean and comfortable although the rooms at the front were noisy. The staff were very pleasant but appeared overworked. Finding the hotel by car was onerous.The breakfast was average but overall reasonable value for money considering it was Cheltenham Festival week.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed one night in this hotel. It is centrally located in Gloucester, in a street leading off pleasant shopping streets. This is convenient and I was pleased to find that I could leave my luggage, since I arrived a couple of hours before the stated check-in time of 2pm.
I wish I had read all the reviews on Trip Advisor before I booked this hotel. I had a single room at the front - this was not soundproofed (no double glazing) so I could hear all the passers by, arguments and vehicles late at night. The street appears quiet in daytime, but vehicles can use it at night, and this particular evening it was very busy with local people going out for the evening.
I would suggest that this hotel is not very suitable for light sleepers, especially at weekends.

I had breakfast, for which I paid extra. The staff serving at breakfast were rather preoccupied and I had to state my order for tea 3 times. The food was very good, and I was early for breakfast so did not have to wait.
The shower was good and the furnishings were pleasant. The bed was rather soft but OK. I could not sleep because of the noise, but otherwise the room was fine. I would not choose to return to this hotel because noise is an issue for me, but it's in a good location.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 25, 2013

With the exception of one member of staff who was mercifully on annual leave on Saturday I can honestly say that everyone at The New County is amazing! They couldn't do enough for us and although the above mentioned person hadn't handed over several vital bits of info regarding our booking, Saturday's staff rallied and bent over backwards to make my 50th and my mother's 80th birthday party a night to remember. Nothing was too much trouble, the food was delicious,the function room clean, well presented, stylish and everything we could ever have dreamed of. The bedrooms were clean, comfortable (loving that super kingsize bed) well appointed and as ever the full english on Sunday was lush!!!! Thanks NCH for making it a very special night.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are lovely and quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed in this recently refurbished hotel, as attending a party being held in the fabulous ballroom/function room of this hotel, As you would expect from a hotel that has just had an upgrade, it was clean with stylish public rooms. We booked a twin room and a family room but were allocated two family rooms that we didn't mind as it gave us extra space.
The bedrooms were clean but basic, the bed I slept in was very comfortable and I had my best night sleep for a very long time. The hotel and bedrooms were warm and very pleasant on a cold winters night, always a plus in my view when a hotel does not skimp on its heating bills. There was plenty of hot water, with a wonderful power shower over the bath and it was a power shower and not an excuse for one.
Our group travelled by car and train and found the central location a plus. The car parking arrangements with the NCP car park at £3 very reasonable and only 1 min walk from hotel and the train station was within walking distance, saving on a taxi fare.
Our room included a full English breakfast and the cooked food we ordered was well presented and cooked to perfection and the choice from the buffet bar was also excellent with cereals, fresh fruit, yoghurts, Danish pastries, croissants to name just a few choices.
On the downside, the staff on duty during our stay were pleasant but showed no personality or overt friendliness. And beware of the rooms that are directly over the ballroom/function room that from our stay are numbers around 20. For us it was not an issue as we were at the event but the music noise that travels up from this entertaining space is ear shattering. I am surprised during the refurbishment more wasn`t made of sound proofing this area.

Room Tip: Beware of rooms above the ballroom/function room,if there is a function booked during your stay and...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family