“Special Offer Deal Break”

The New County Hotel
Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We purchased a 2 night B&B break from kgb deals.. Reasonable price & in an area we wanted to tour. Ideal opportunity. Time passed us by too quickly what with one challenge after another, before we knew it almost a year had passed with only a few weeks remaining. We telephoned the hotel explained the woes & requested if it were at all possible to have an extension with the voucher, after all it was paid for & as we are stumbling into the quieter Autumnal months - just maybe, perhaps they could be kind enough to allow us a months extension. Not wanting to break any rules, just a common sense approach to a problem. The hotel said absolutely not. They were not at all happy with the kgb deals & couldn't wait for it to finish.
After much deliberation & planning we decided a break would probably be good for us so rather than let it pass us by we somehow arranged the free time to travel.

After reading the reviews, we too asked for a quieter room, both being light sleepers. We were given Room 7 & told it should be fine, any problems after the first night then they could probably move us for the 2nd night.
The staff are lovely, the receptionists & waitresses are very jolly, very helpful & attentive. The 2nd morning waiter perhaps was having an off day :) or maybe he'd just reluctantly left part of the crowd who were boisterously celebrating (extremely loudly) till way after 2am. Unfortunately the 'party celebrations' were directly above us. Not a good night had by us but they must've had a great time!! We were surprised the Hotel night porter didn't go up & have a word, ask them to keep the noise down. However, after finding out the following morning that it was infact an ex chef's party I imagine the night porter was probably partying too. The noise was unbelievable, even more so to think the party was with an ex member of staff who should know better, who should show far more respect towards customers. Partying aside the room was pleasant enough & perhaps one of the quieter ones. The sound of the seagulls wasn't as bad as we'd imagined (must've been on the other side) & the noise of the pigeons 'love in' was indeed far louder than we would've ever believed :) The view wasn't good, simply a roof & pigeons. ..but then we didn't stay there for a decent view, we had many great views to experience during the day.

Our breakfasts were on the whole fine, nice choice of fruit, even if some were a little unusual, all served for a nice change & actually quite tasty with yogurt on top. There were a few boxes of cereal & 3 jugs of fruit juice. There was also a type of croissant & a plate of jams. The cooked breakfast was made to order offering quite a range of options. First day we had the 'Full English', although they did forget to put the black pudding & tomatoes onto our plates, the rest of the food was hot & fine. Bacon was cooked nicely as was the egg, beans, hash brownie etc. The sausages were wrapped up to take home for the dog but we are quite fussy with sausages, do note we did see others eating them! Second morning I opted for eggs on toast, seemed a better choice. I has the poached eggs but wish i'd asked for soft boiled. Hubby enjoyed his full English (incl black pudding) although they did forget his toast but we heard another guest say how delighted he was with his extra toast!!. Some you win some you lose :) Perhaps all the staff were a bit pickled from the night before, as the guy next to us didn't receive his breakfast til he asked again for it. Bless him.

We noticed a bit too late that you could order a pot of hot chocolate instead of tea or coffee. However the pots of tea & the pots of coffee were enjoyed. Finding a milk jug was a nice adventure too especially as I noticed on route they'd put out some croissants which weren't out earlier. :)

The bedroom was a decent size, a tv on the wall, a desk, chair, bedside cabinets, large wardrobe & a tray full of coffee, tea, sugar, milk, a kettle & biscuits. Brilliant! The bathroom was clean & served its purpose. A lovely traditional bath to enjoy a lovely long soak, plenty of hot water & the bath had a huge shower over it (which we actually never used so can't comment on except it looked great!) The room was very hot, we did have the windows open & the door wedged open at one point just to have a flow of cool air. We the realised we could switch off the hot towel rail, which proved a little more comfortable on the 2nd night.

The Hotel served its purpose well, a cheeky little stop over for a bath & sleep with wifi to check works mail. The days were spent touring the Cotswold so we can't comment on the restaurant or the entertainment. The car parking was easy & good value. NCP fee £3.00 & a voucher from the Hotel. Again I'd just like to say the staff were very nice & so helpful you couldn't fault them even if they did forget things they were so nice & natural they just made me laugh. Much rather be on the receiving end of happy, helpful & polite staff any day.

Room Tip: Ask which rooms they'd suggest for a quiet, potential full nights sleep.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The New County Hotel

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Major disappointment regarding service at breakfast, in the end after twenty minutes I walked out after just a bowl of cereal and a glass of juice . After waiting 5 minutes for the display of cereal packets to be replenished, I was then forced to wait another 5 minutes for a bowl to eat the cereal from. Another gentleman who arrived in the restaurant less than a minute after me had to wait a further 5 minutes before he was allowed to have a bowl. At no point was I asked if I wanted to order coffee, toast or even the cooked breakfast that is allegedly available. Presumably my punishment for daring to ask for a bowl. In over 40 years of staying in hotels across every continent I have never had to put up with just a bowl of cereal for breakfast. An utter disgrace.
Unless you are happy to stay at this hotel on a room only basis it is best avoided.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room at the back of the hotel which is quieter than the front.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed for three nights, Thursday evening till Sunday morning. Having read the reviews on here I had asked for a quiet room away from function rooms so the only noise problem was from the seagulls, also warned of on here, though I don't see how they could be blamed on the hotel! The room was nice and the staff were all friendly and helpful - I asked for peppermint tea bags in the room and they bought some specially! The breakfast had plenty of choice and was good, with beautifully cooked poached eggs. My only suggestions are to remind cleaning staff to clean behind the door in the bathroom and to try to improve the water pressure in the shower. Good value for a city centre hotel; we'll be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from function rooms
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2012

The hotel was perfect location as I was away on business and working in Gloucester City centre.

The food in the restaurant was high quality with great service and fantastic value for money.

What let the hotel down was the lack of facilities. I stayed room number 8, I asked for ironing board and iron, they firstly brought an iron that did not work without an ironing board - to which I was told they didn't know where it was. So I used the coffee table as ironing board!! I then decided to shower and couldn't switch it off so I left the shower running whilst checking out ( I did tell them at reception)! One other point the plug for the sink had been stolen, so I had to shave using a plastic cup of hot water! A great start to my day in Gloucester!! Oh yeah the view wasnt to great either a wall with a few dirty pigeons!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We had a formal dinner here this evening - bar poorly staffed - ran out of Merlot wine at 7.15pm, no proper tonic, only diet tonic which had to be brought through from front bar, no choice of soft drinks. Vegetables brought to table but no serving spoons! No water or water glasses on table, had to ask for it and then waitress brought glasses with her fingers in the tops, a bottle of wine could only be bought by walking through to front bar. Waited ages for sweet. Staff obviously had very little training and insufficient staff to serve 50 people. Could not pay with credit or debit card at the bar - what does this mean? Cashflow problems????? what a shame, interior decor smart, food ok but not likely to book again, very disappointing!

Reviewed August 29, 2012

We make several trips a year with my cousin and her husband booked through various "deal" websites. So far we have been very fortunate and have had good rooms and service. Unfortunately the New County Hotel was probably one of those nearer the bottom end of the list. We were told on arrival that both couples had king rooms which was appreciated although both were not equal as one was the honeymoon suite. My cousin and her husband took this whilst my husband and I had the smaller king room which, whilst it had a king size bed was not particularly impressive and overlooked a wall, about six foot away from the window with no view whatsoever which made the room dark. The honeymoon suite turned out to be much better but had not been made up since the last visitors (we arrived around 4-4.30 in the afternoon!). They were moved to another room which was again much larger than ours. It looked OK on first inspection but there was a used shower gel tube on the bath which suggested it had not been cleaned and the toilet roll had not been replenished. I would suggest when booking two or more couples in together it would be good to give them equal rooms. We booked for the restaurant on the first night, no need really we were the only people eating there. The food was good but service not particularly so. The first morning breakfast was good with a good selection of fruit, about 5 items and a bowl of yoghurt plus cooked items and cereals andervice was good. The following morning there were only two items of fruit on offer, no hash browns with the breakfast and service was poor. Location was good but would have expected more from a hotel that has a Trip Advisor certificate in it's lobby with an excellent award! Despite it's location I probably wouldn't stay in this hotel again.

1  Thank Josephine W
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Hotel booked at a reduced rate for a Northern Soul Alldayer, which was brilliant, but not so for the room. This hotel has recently been refurbished and it looks great, unfortunately the staffs 'couldn't give a toss' attitude and room servicing skills let it down. On arrival our room looked ok, but on closer inspection the bathroom was grubby with no sink plug, no cold water and someone elses pubic hair waving at me from the tub. Nice! The windows wouldn't shut and they had bird poo all over them, there wasn't any milks for the tea and coffee and no information at all about hotel policy, breakfast times, how to contact reception or information about Gloucester. If hotel management are reading this I think its a shame that such a lovely old hotel in such a central location should be let down by 'people skills'. Have a word with your staff!

2  Thank stephmurphy1966