“Well kept secret”

Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
UK
“Well kept secret”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

Stayed overnight after picking up a bargin £43 per night deal for 2 adults and a child sharing a room. This included breakfast for the 3 of us! The hotel is very well kept and presented and it was nice to have our daughters bed made up on the pull out sofa prior to our arrival. The rooms were well maintained and the bathroom was spotless. There was no bath but a very nice walk in shower with fully adjustable pressure and temperature. Hotel bar was open after midnight. Much better hotel than Travelodge or Premier Inn for comparable price as this also included breakfast! Recommended for overnight stays en route elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel twice now as a mid journey break, its a great location very clean and excellent value for money, the staff are very attentive, breakfast basic but adequate I will be staying here again and would encourage others to do so as well, great location next to the bumble bee pub

Room Tip: no difference in my two visits good quality
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2012

Arrived very late evening but arrived to a friendly face on reception who welcomed me to the HI. Check-in quick and simple and though travelling alone for an event on the Friday at the South West Snooker Academy across the road - I was given a huge and spacious room with a very comfortable bed.

Breakfast also very good. Hot and tasty.

One bit of advice: the HI Express is located in Quedgeley; a good four miles out of the centre of Gloucester and a taxi at night from the station costs £15. However there is a cheap P&R available just up the road during the day but finishes at 6pm.

I certainly would use it again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MJ_Lowson
Kinross, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

Arrived late evening and checked in quickly. Room was fine - warm , hot water - no issues. Tv worked and when we got up in the morning - shower was hot, towel dried us and breakfast was fine.
No complaints - except my son said that I snored too much but he lies!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Sabrina D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gloucester South, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of our hotel with other travellers. Both the team and I are always delighted to hear when we've got it right.

I will be sure to share your comments with the both the guest facing team and housekeeping.

Regarding your sons snoring complaint......I can highly recommend holistic anti-snoring patches. Enjoy!!

We hope to welcome you back to Gloucester sometime in the near future.

Weymouth, Dorset
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

The express is located a long way south of Gloucester yet it is near to the park and ride and the police HQ for Gloucestershire. The car park was large and easy access yet a very little pavement from rear car park to front of hotel. The greeting was warm and friendly, I explained that needed to go south to Bristol to see some friends and asked how long it would take roughly they didn't know as the guy said he didn't drive. This seemed encompass the whole of the staff, a simple yes no question and they helped anything else I don't know. On the first morning I asked what had Gloucester to offer a tourist they girl thought for a moment and then said about an outlet shopping centre. A went into town and found Gloucester to be a great town with a cathedral and nice walks by the river and some great town centre shopping. When I returned to the hotel the room had not been made up I went to reception and they said that as I had not informed them a breakfast that I wanted the room made up they hadn't done it. When I checked out the following day I asked about this and they said it only applies if you hang the do not disturb sign on the door. The corridor outside the room was hoovered at around 8am.
The room was tired and need a good clean and replacement of some items it was poorly lit and a bulb had gone. The hotel claims to have a/c in all its room this is utter rubbish they have a radiator.
This hotel is also pet friendly this is downside to me being asthmatic, and I was not told about it when I checked in so I was surprised to see a dog coming towards me in a corridor. I queried this with reception and they seemed to extol the virtues of the wonderful thing they are doing for dog owners, perhaps they should make it bigger on their website as I would never have stayed here if I had known.
I asked if they offer anything for platinum members and they gave me a code for some free internet but I was told they don't do this normally. Would I go back to Gloucester yes this express NO!

Room Tip: dogs are allowed in some rooms ask to make you don't get one or alternatively use another hotel
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and sharing your experience with other travellers.

Firstly, thank you for your comments. I always welcome feedback from guests as it presents us with the opportunity to improve the quality and service we provide in our hotels. Plus as a newly appointed General Manager, it gives me a priceless insight into the areas I should focus on first. I have looked further into your feedback, discussing your comments at length with the Housekeeper and Front Desk Guest Service Managers on duty during your stay.

I myself live in Bristol and commute to Gloucester daily. I was disappointed to read the team were unable to assist you with directions. Understandably not everyone drives, but we have discussed the use of such tools such as AA Route Finder for any future direction enquiries, likewise the Tourist Information or Whats on Gloucester for any tourist or attraction related enquiries.

I have met with the housekeeper specifically to talk through your comments. Our Housekeeping team do start at 8am. With bedrooms usually still occupied they have previously tended to proceed with their public area duties. This has now been pushed back following your feedback till a later time, certainly around those bedrooms which are occupied. I am interested to know more regarding the failure to service your bedroom. The only reason your room would not have been serviced is, as you were correctly advised, if a Do Not Disturb sign had been hung on your door.

After much consideration it was decided we would have an allocation of specific ‘dog friendly’ bedrooms due to the proximity of the Cotswolds and the surrounding beautiful countryside of Gloucestershire. However, I do agree that this message should be better communicated to potential guests. Something I have taken on board and will be discussing with our marketing team further regarding website content and such like.

With regards to your Platinum status, unlike Holiday Inns, it is not a standard for Holiday Inn Express to offer value added extras or upgrades for example to Gold/Platinum members. In fact, it is one of the differentials when choosing between the Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express brands.

Again, please accept my sincere apologies, and should you wish to discuss the matter further I am available at the hotel direct on 01452 072 640 or alternatively gm@hiexpressgloucester.co.uk.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

clean hotel friendly staff and overall good value for money if on business. I will point out that wifi use to be free now they charge GBP 15 per day of course that is ridiculous and will lead to business travelers looking else where as free wifi is a necessity. please reconsider this HI Express. Hats off to Steve Goodwin who takes customer service to another level which is refreshing. Overall good value and easy access to M5 J12.

• Stayed January 2012
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

Stayed at this hotel as a stop over on our way north, but also as a chance to explore Gloucester. Very easy to find and seconds off the M5. It's right next to a park a ride and for £2 each you can be in the city centre in not much over 5 minutes.

The hotel itself is as you'd expect; clean, fairly compact, good basic facilities. For what seemed like a fairly new building the double glazed windows let through a fair amount of noise from the A38 but it did not disturb our nights sleep. The breakfast was nothing special but for the price you couldn't complain really - a resaonable selection to be fair, albeit basic.

The little pub next door, the bumblebee, is actually very good compared with some you get next to this sorts of hotel. Friendly staff and good food - I'd recommend it.

As for Gloucester itself we had a walk about - the town has some lovely buildings and potential to be quite a nice day out - however it lacks something at the moment.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Sabrina D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gloucester South, responded to this review, February 16, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for contacting Trip advisor regarding your stay with the Holiday Inn Express Gloucester-South. We know you have many choices when it comes to accommodation and we certainly appreciate your including us in your travel plans. Even more uplifting to read when we’ve got it right!

I will share your positive review with the team at our next team meeting, next week. I’m certain they will be as thrilled as I am.

Once again, we appreciate your taking the time to review our hotel. We value you as our guest and hope you will come back to see us very soon.