“Rustic in the best sense: warm, friendly and excellent food!”

The Swan at Coombe Hill
Ranked #64 of 328 Restaurants in Gloucester
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Graz, Austria
“Rustic in the best sense: warm, friendly and excellent food!”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

From the outside, this pub doesn't exactly wear its heart on its sleeve: unadorned building with a large loose chip car park. However, as soon as you go in, you realize this is somewhere quite special. The staff are welcoming and helpful -- we came on spec on a Sunday lunchtime, but they found us a table immediately and were very attentive, even though by the time we left, the place was full.

The food was excellent: traditional cooking and hearty helpings -- not a sign of 'boil-in-the-bag' fare. The ambience; rustic, honest, unpretentious -- just perfect for a relaxed lunch. A lot of the clientele seemed to be local, but there was nothing 'Royston Vaseyish' about this establishment. As another reviewer pointed out, one was made to feel very much at home. I was disappointed to learn that they don't offer accommodation; otherwise I would seriously have considered spending a night or so there.

As it is, I shall certainly eat there again when I'm next in that neck of the woods. Excellent!

• Visited July 2012

“A lovely pub with lovely welcoming staff”
Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

What a fantastic place the swan at coombe hill is.I was passing by with a friend and stopped off for lunch, we are so glad we did! The staff are extremely friendly and attentive and made us feel like we were locals(loulou especially) very funny lady! The menu had so much variation, my friend unfortunately can't eat dairy, but loulou assured us that the chef would be able to accomodate this. Both of our meals were delicious and very reasonably priced. And we will defo be returning.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, good service, great value!”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

My partner and I have been to The Swan quite a few times now and always found the food to be excellent and the service quick and friendly. I am writing this review after a particularly exceptional meal there last night. It was very busy with a number of groups booked in, but the atmosphere was great, staff although busy were attentive and although due to the volume of people there was a small wait, when the food arrived it didn't disappoint - tasty, hot and really delicious. I would whole heartedly recommend The Swan for a family meal, a group party or just going as a couple. Go and try for yourself!

• Visited June 2012
gloucestershire
“Good Food and service”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I would thoroughly recommend The Swan, I have been there as a couple and with a party of 12, the service and food was equally as good. The prices are fair and the quality and choice well above average.

• Visited August 2011
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Food”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Went with my friend for a quiet spot of lunch on Saturday 26/05/12, quick service of both food and drinks. My friend went for a dish on the board which was a Crayfish Salad, it looked delicious and she said it was lovely, loads of crayfish exactly what you want. I had a Hunter's Chicken baguette and they very kindly changed the chips to new potatoes for me, best Hunter's Chicken I think I've ever had!!!!! We had no room for dessert though, lovely restuarant/pub, have driven past it so many times never thought to eat there, glad I did will definately be back again.

• Visited May 2012