“Good service and friendly staff”
Review of Malswick Mill

and 1 more site!
Malswick Mill
Ranked #6 of 22 Gloucester B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We were greeted in the rain, and given a cup of tea before being shown to our spacious room. Tee making facilities and a 'space age' shower were provided. An outside veranda with table and chairs went unused, due to the rain!

Although they do not serve evening meals, a call to eother the local 'Indian' or 'Chinese' sorted out a meal and a table was duly set for us.

Breakfast was excellent.

I would happily stay again.

Room Tip: Coener room with veranda.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 11, 2011

Having stayed at Malswick Mill several times i can highly recommend a visit. Always greeted with a warm welcome at the family run b & b. The surroundings are stunning especially in the summer months when the amazing hanging baskets are in bloom. Fish swim in the lake and the families horses roam around in the field and stables in the background. Local information is readily available from the owners during a friendly chat in the bar. Breakfast is very good and a great way to start a leisurely day. Clean towels, crisp bedding on a comfy bed made even me sleep well!!
The bar is a welcoming place to be where everyone is friendly and happy to chat, you can even enjoy your glass of wine overlooking the peaceful lake and fields.
Attentive staff will assist in anyway they can. A must to visit.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I stayed for two nights as I was doing a glass fusing course locally and I received a warm welcome. As earlier reviewers have mentioned my room was small - not much space around the bed but the bed was comfy. I kept my door open to give the feeling of more space but there was then the danger of swifts flying in! There were bird droppings but I didn't mind them too much as I was pleased to see the swifts. I found my hosts helpful and friendly - a small problem with the shower was sorted out with no fuss - and the breakfast was delicious. Just one complaint - the tv was tiny and on a low table which made it difficult to see - wall mounted would be better and slightly larger please!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Living just outside London & working in London getting 4 days of the Malswick Mill & its surroundings was a very welcome break. Our room was clean and warm, the showers were very hot you just need to be patient..takes a while to warm up. Gardens were fantastic, even better in summer momnths i reckon. Jo cooked an excellent breakfast which is hard to say no too, but not something you should eat every morning, cant be healthy for you, proper full english. Even though bar manager was off on paternity leave the bar was open just after 4pm every day & closed at 11pm and had people in every night from surrounding area who were willing to give local knowledge.

We are looking forward to return visit in July for more peaceful surroundings and relaxing time.

Shopping in nearby Cheltenham was pretty good i must admit, not a bad statement from a guy who normally hates shopping.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2010

After booking a two night stay and stating it was for a 25th wedding anniversary break for myself and my wife, we were greeted by a partner when we arrived and told which room we had been checked into.
When we entered the room we immediately realized just how basic the room was and just how plain and small it was, the room was in our opinion no better than a standard comfort\Premier Inn room.
As quoted on their website “Malswick Mill offers a room to suit everyone, from a family weekend away to a romantic suite for two” in regards to the romantic suite for two this requirement was certainly not meet for our needs.
The rooms really did not reflect the actual cost of the room even after the discounted price of £70 per night instead of £135 per night.
So on the first night we decided to drive the 3.2 miles not 2 miles as quoted on their website to Newent to get something to eat as the Mill had a very limited menu, when we returned we decided to try out the bar where we were served by very helpful and courteous young bar staff and the evening was O.K, the lady proprietor was to say the least very unsociably as she never enquired once all evening was everything O.K, later on that evening the male proprietor came in and asked how we where and was sociable.
The following morning we went for breakfast and was served a full English breakfast which again was served by a young lady who was very pleasant but a just a few minutes before we had finished our breakfast the young lady left and did not return which meant my wife could not ask for a coffee refill, so we left to go back to the room after deciding that we were not going to stay another night, I actually paced around the reception area for about 15 to 20 minutes hoping to talk to one of the owners to no avail, so we decided to carry on our way and give them a call to which we were told we would have to pay in full for both nights to which I was appalled.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mick W
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Booked a double room for two people but the room was definately not suitable for two adults. The bed was a single plus a bit and no room around the bed to even walk without shuffling sideways. Teeny tiny bathroom more a wet room really with no hot water (luke warm only) - big disappointment. Did pay for a meal one night though which was excellent, the only good point of the stay.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mellish1
Reviewed June 18, 2010

Malswick Mill B & B Review 10-17.06.10

I'll get the negatives on my 7 day stay out of the way as everything else was genuinely fine or better. Millie the dog is always on the lookout for titbits. Tom the cat loves to be petted until he grips you with his teeth and claws at you. Swallows abound leaving their droppings everywhere. For a family run B & B there was a distinct lack of 'the customer comes first' - At the outset I asked for a daily newspaper - none could be arranged - there are no shaver points in any of the 9 rooms - my room was fully wheelchair accessible with grab-rails around the bathroom/toilet, but there is a 6 inch front door step and no safe exit from the pleasant veranda at the back. No one was particularly interested that the veranda chairs got soaked in the rain each morning and stayed soaked - I suggested removable plastic cushions but was ignored. I wasn't encouraged to eat there though one guest said they had once had a decent meal there. I was particularly annoyed that without warning they shut the Bar on the Saturday night which happened to be the same night I invited a friend over. Please don't get me wrong I enjoyed my stay there and the Guests' Comments Book effused with genuine praise - odd that it went walkabout 3 days before I left though ! The main Breakfast meal was hearty though limited to any combination of Bacon rashers, Egg, Sausages, Tomatoes, Baked Beans and Mushrooms - but strictly no boil-in-a-bag kippers. Tom told me that as a resident he enjoys the Coarse Fishing in the large Lake and that week had lifted a 9lb Carp - he goes there at least twice a year for the fishing.

Special mention goes to John and Debbie Peters of local taxi firm [---] - he is not only cheaper than any of the Gloucester firms but really put himself out to make my sightseeing most pleasurable. He also has a trailer that can carry an electric wheelchair or mobility scooter. Most of the touristy leaflets are well out of date and sadly Gloucester CC closed the Newent and Coleford Tourist Info Offices 12 months previously. I got my main Tourist info from the Ross on Wye Tourist Info Office. I really enjoyed my days out to the nearby International Centre for Birds of Prey, Kingfisher Cruises at Symonds Yat East, the Butterfly Farm at Symonds Yat West, and a trip out on the Forest of Dean Railway out of Lydney.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo