The Wharf House
$119
$80
$84
Hotels.com
Hotel Ibis Gloucester(Gloucester)(Great Value!)
Travelodge Gloucester(Gloucester)(Great Value!)
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Travelocity
The Edward Hotel(Gloucester)
Hatherley Manor(Down Hatherley)
TripAdvisor
Hatton Court Hotel(Upton St Leonards)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscanal trustcanal basinspa bathcaramelised onionoffered toastfillet of beefservice chargeaa rosette standardcheese and biscuitsmini bar in the roomtaster menuwedding nightcycle pathpleasant locationstar of the showlocal councilpeaceful night
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We stayed overnight after son's wedding. Son & bride also stayed, as did his brother and wife. It started out on the wrong foot when we went to collect the keys to the 3 rooms on Saturday afternoon on our way to the wedding reception. They could only find 2 sets of keys and took 20 minutes to find the other keys which made us quite late. Rooms were clean & fairly spacious. Unfortunately we had no towels in our room and early Sunday morning we had to try to find someone to get towels. Not what you expect when paying this amount of money. We were joined for breakfast by our daughter, husband & grandchildren also groom's good friend & his fiancee. Breakfast very poor, cereals available but no milk, no side plates or glasses for juice. Cooked breakfast order was wrong and service very poor. As for the staff, it wasn't obvious to know who was in charge.Such a shame as it was supposed to be a lovely relaxed morning for our newly wed son & daughter-in-law, but turned out to be a shambles. We wouldn't stay again!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank susan r
Reviewed July 18, 2012

From the moment we arrived to a warm welcome till leaving two days later we could not fault either the service, accomodation or the food.
Our room was great with a king size bed, spa bath and toiletries of spa quality, the fresh milk that was put in the fridge in our room on our arrival was perfect, the room was spotless with all we could wish for including wifi. The menu was varied and a combination of safe and original to please all tastes no problem with staying more than one night and not having an alternative choice this applied to all three courses, I am pleased to say the standards did not drop on the Breakfast menu excellent. We were aware that a number of different staff were working in the kitchen but this did not reflect in the standard and presentation of the meals.
It was great to see a young staff being versitile, pleasent and helpful in their work.
As all profits go to support the local Canal restoration I would have no hesitation in returning and in recommending The Wharf which is much more than its description of a "Resturant with rooms"

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We had some extreme highs and lows at this accommodation. The rooms were excellent, the views were great, and the breakfast was extremely tasty. When we checked in we needed to get some laundry done and the young lady on the desk went above and beyond to help us find somewhere that was still open at 4pm on a Friday, and then drew excellent maps to help us get there before it closed! The food in the restaurant was a bit mixed, with some dishes really nice and others not quite working. However... we were also present during the "black-out incident." We didn't have a mobile phone so we couldn't call anyone, and then we were told that the emergency number given in our rooms was ringing out. Some rooms were blacked out, and in others the heaters were not switching off and the only way to stop the rooms getting too hot (as in 30 degrees plus) was to open all the windows. I don't think we should have to call the police to get someone to come and reset the circuit breakers in our hotel! To add insult to injury, we were the first to check out the next morning, and no-one had told the young lady on the front desk about the incident, so we got no apology. While she was apologetic when we told her about the incident, we received no official apology from the manager (which we asked for before leaving). The comment from someone else - that this place would be fantastic if someone cared about the guests - felt very true to us. Unless the management changes, we won't be back.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank agluyas1977
Reviewed June 17, 2012

My husband, our 5 year old son Henry & I went for a meal yesterday tea time. Unfortunately there was no children's menu and no chips and nothing available to cook for a child off menu, so our little boy had a small dish of saute potatoes. The main menu was a bit pricey and far too expensive to buy a mains for a child with the average price being £15. We didnt have a starter as I was put off by the prices with average being about £7. Unfortuantely there was nothing on the starter menu suitable for a child. The restaurant itself is very small and felt crowded as there was a party of 23 in at same time as us. The staff were very pleasant and welcoming, the modern style plates/cups made Henry laugh. There is a small canal/museum shop at the entrance with lots of leaflets and maps of the area which I thought was great for visitors, and of course Henry had fun playing with the leaflets! My food was brilliant, cooked to perfection I had the beef with a very delicate pepper sauce and the beetroot/potato gratin was superb, in fact it was so nice that little Henry ate half of it! Small portions but its a mum's job to share! My husband's menu choice was not so lucky, he had the rainbow trout which he was assured was filleted. Unfortunately it was full of bones and dry, he couldnt eat it and was furious as this isnt a cheap joint! I wanted to complain but he wouldnt let me! The Wharf House Restaurant is in a pretty spot and backs onto a canal with 2 barges moored when we were there, the parking is small, the restaurant is small, the food is expensive and apparently a mixed bag, mine was delicious and delicately cooked, my husbands was awful, there is no childs menu and the starters are not suitable fare (too fancy too spicy) for a child and most people dont want to pay more than £5 for a childs meal as they invariably dont eat it all. The main menu is too expensive for a child but the portions are very small so a hungry child would eat it, however main menu content apart from the beef that I had at nearly £20 is about the only thing a child would attempt to eat. Very fancy menu and hard to find anything suitable for a child which is suprising as this place is a hotel as well as a restaurant. However saying all of this I really enjoyed my meal and felt so sorry for my husband that his wasnt very good as this was his father's day treat. We doubt if we would go there again because of the lack of child friendly food and because my hubby's fish was horrible but I would go back for the beef and its accompaniments plus the scenic view. We dont mind a place being pricey if the food is 100% and if no child option that they would cook up a sausage - we've been to several places like this which are posh/dear but will whip up a quick sausage & mash for a child! bit put out that they wouldnt do that here and that the fish was dry & spiney!

Room Tip: we didnt stay the night as live nearby but part of the building faces the river, so ask for a waterside view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank vanessashihtzu
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Nice accommodation, modern, very clean and comfortable. Good size room. I like that we had fresh milk in the fridge for tea and coffee in the room, also they provided a cafetiere with ground coffee. The young girl who served our breakfast was very pleasant but would benefit from training in the service industry. I didn't like the fact that on arrival we were handed a form to say what we wanted for breakfast the following morning and to state what time we would be having breakfast. We too were visiting on the day of the power cut and although our floor wasn't affected it was disconcerting that we weren't informed that no staff are on site once the restaurant is shut and there was no way to contact anyone. I sincerely hope the management take this on board, in case of emergency.
The Wharf House has so much potential but is let down by staff who lack professionalism, including the manager.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family