“Okay food but extremely overpriced”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #215 of 384 Restaurants in Harrogate
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

The food wasn't too bad at all but if you ask us what we should have paid for it, it would have been half as much as was written on the bill when it arrived...

1  Thank MandT432

Reviewed November 24, 2013

The mid week evening started off quite quiet in this Harrogate Bistro, and by around 8pm the place had started to fill up a little. Waiters/waitresses were pleasant enough, but also very slow taking our orders - we had to chase 3 times to get someone to actually take our drinks orders. Let me be clear though, although the place was a little busier, there was certainly no more than 8 tables filled.

We ordered starters & mains and the wait was pretty long, so we were getting more & more eager to eat. When the starters arrived, they were incredibly mediocre. I had a whole artichoke head which sounds amazing, but was served in a dish and wooden board set up which made it virtually impossible to eat - especially in a restaurant full of people. The fact it was also slightly undercooked and so leaves didn't peel off enough and getting to the heart was so difficult - I eventually gave up trying.

I had ordered Ribeye steak and requested it was cooked rare. When it arrived, it was the single most well done piece of beef I have probably ever eaten. Served with a pointless side salad which looked incredibly sorry for itself, when in fact it was the best thing on my plate.

Had I not have been in a rush, I would absolutely have sent the food back. We were not asked how the food was when our plates were cleared, and so I never got to give my feedback.

I will certainly not be rushing back to the Hotel Du Vin, and wouldn't return unless it was for the wine - the best part of the evening.

1  Thank Bobs_head
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I had dinner at this restaurant with colleagues while we were attending an exhibition - the town was busy because of this and the restuarant relatively full. Even so, we were served promptly and never kept waiting long between courses. Between us we tried many of the wide choices on the menu and all enjoyed what we chose. The servers were pleasant, the food well cooked and it was all good value.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I don't like leaving bad reviews but this was one of the worst places I've eaten.
The food was cold after an almighty wait, tasteless and very expensive. I'm unsure why we waited over an hour for food this is after a 40 minute wait for a table in the restaurant which only had 2 people in it?? I think they forgot us if I'm honest.
The Cafetiere was awful, worst coffee I've ever had, I think they ration the beans it was seethrough.
really not nice at all, the staff however friendly didn't appear to speak good English so maybe communication was an issue? I wont be going again. waste of £78 regular meal for 2!

1  Thank T W
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Great Sunday brunch food choice, genuinely unique and top value. Perfect place to go to eat with our friends. Excellent French bistro staff, helpful and friendly, shucks the oyster properly there and then as you order - divine! Beautiful Bloody Mary and some great wines.

Big let down was the staff. Full of northern charm ie. miserable and rude kids serving.

First had to argue to get a parking space despite that most were vacant on a quiet Sunday afternoon. Silly little girl receptionist even refused a cash tip so determined was she to show her discontent after giving us a space.

Our waitress was moody with few smiles and slow to respond. Useless with the two fun little girls in our party and quite disinterested in the lovely restaurant in which she is lucky to have a job. I did see another waitress who was loads of fun but sadly we got the moody one.