“Not as good as our first visit.”
Review of Thai Elephant - CLOSED

Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We decided to give this restaurant another go after a good experience last year. Service was very good and prices reasonable, but the Weeping Tiger we ordered was inedible. I've never had such a tough, chewy piece of steak in my life! We sent this back, and they were very good about it. Luckily we had ordered starters, another entree and a side of noodles, so we didn't go away hungry. Pad Thai was great, but the rest was not as tasty as the first time we ate there-was just "ok". Probably will not visit again.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Went here mainly because it was raining and it was the first place we passed. My initial impressions were not good, the interior was tired and tatty and reminded me of a service station cafe, it was also quite cold inside. The weather was bad admittedly, but it was a Sunday evening in August and the restaurant was completely empty and lacking in any atmosphere, never a good sign. Despite the lack of any guests we were asked if we had booked which seemed a rather odd question. We were seen fairly quickly and our orders were taken. Five minutes later, the person I was with was told that his meal was not available. The food arrived and despite the fairly expensive price, the portions seemed pretty stingy. The plain boiled noodles I had ordered were slimy and my fellow diner complained that his meal was underseasoned and tasteless. My meal was ok but I could easily cook something of a similar quality at home. Rather disappointing meal, go next door to Sukothai it's far nicer.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

The initial greeting was warm and friendly and we were served fairly quickly although the restaurant was virtually empty. However, several of the dishes we ordered were unavailable, and we had to chose others. This was made more difficult as everything was referred to by number like a comedy takeaway. We were given a dish we didn't order, the food was very watery, and the sticky rice in edible.
There are much better Tai restaurants in Harrogate. I would recommend the Tai Pavillion or Succotai next door.

1  Thank Ramblingrose1111
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Superb service and only one word describes the freshness and genuine Thai food experience - BRILLIANT. Wonderfully presented and cooked fresh food with a delightful Thai lady serving it. The Thai cook came out of the kitchen to explain about some mushrooms in my friends vegetarian dish which was really excellent. we had 6 dishes between us and 4 drinks and the whole bill came to less than £60. i don't know anywhere in Harrogate to beat this food quality and value for money for eastern cuisine of any nationality. A must go to place. It look a bit scruffy from the outside unlike the large Thai next door but the food must be impossible to beat!!

1  Thank PurpleUrban
Reviewed July 7, 2013

After spending 8 months traveling the majority of Thailand, I can honestly say that this is the only place that serves actual Thai food, meaning not some trumped up western spin off to attract more people. very very nice food, excellent service, waitresses wear beautiful traditional Thai uniform.
As for previous reviews, the menus are not "dog eared" it was clean, good atmosphere and reasonably priced.

in a nutshell:

visit here if you actually want to eat Thai food & have a small slice of the Land Of Smiles!

1  Thank Jason L