“Excellent ”

The Orchid Restaurant at the Studley Hotel
Reserve with OpenTable
The Orchid Restaurant at the Studley Hotel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 452 Restaurants in Harrogate
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Harrogate
Description: The eponymous Orchid Restaurant, Harrogate at it's inception was one of the first pan Asian restaurants in the UK and is now well established in the North Yorkshire region and beyond.The menu at Orchid Restaurant draws heavily on the influences of true oriental flavours in a modern style. Created by Bokmun Chan, this special setting has been recaptured not only through the menu, but also it's mango and dark wood interiors, separated by Japanese lattice style screens. The brigade is managed under the watch of Kenneth Poon, former Michelin Head Chef of the Dorchester Hotel.The Orchid opened in Harrogate in May, 2001 and has since won many awards and accolades for it's cuisine, presently holding 2 rosettes.The Orchid has become synonymous with excellent quaity pan-Asian cuisine and professional service for many years. Why wait, come and enjoy the experience...
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

What sets The Orchid apart from other oriental restaurants for me is the service. I don't normally expect good service from oriental restaurants unless I am familiar with them, that's to say I expect bad service, just run of the mill. The service really was top notch; attentive but not overly, the staff knew the menu and the manager was excellent in dealing with our query. The food itself is very good, it isn't cheap but the portions are a good size, good flavours and quality ingredients. In my opinion because of the service it is worth the price. Though not directly comparable food wise, it is MUCH better experience than the Royal Bath Chinese restaurant in fact it is on another level.

There are newer reviews for The Orchid Restaurant at the Studley Hotel

Reviewed March 18, 2014

We managed to get an early sitting on Saturday evening. The restaurant was quite when we arrived, but soon filled up. It did get a bit noisy as a couple of large tables joined the throng.The décor is fairly contemporary. The staff were very attentive and friendly.
We enjoyed watching the real time CCTV screen of the action in the kitchen. The menu was extensive and catered to most Asian taste ranges, it was nice to be able to mix dishes from different origins. Our food was excellent. The starters were and main courses were served hot and nicely presented. We found the food to be very tasty and the portions were ample. The Coconut Ice Cream was excellent.
With beer, wine and water and a tip the bill came to £72 for two of us, not cheap but well worth a visit.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

I visited The Orchid last night with my sister for some nice food & a catch up. We both like the various Asian cuisines - I mention this as was amused by some other reviews saying "it depends if you like Asian food" - why go to an Asian orientated restaurant if you don't like their cuisine? But, that's by the by......
It's a smartly decorated place, attentive & friendly staff, wide range of dishes on the menu including a "specials list" which I presume changes regularly. We had wasabi prawns (very tasty) and scallop tempura skewers (batter a bit thick but tasty) followed by crispy duck in plum sauce (mmmm) and a beef dish with fillet steak in a spicy sauce & some veggies (lovely) . Not cheap but all was tasty & we enjoyed it.
Only criticism really is that it can be very noisy & the tables are quite close together. We think there may have been a lot of "conventioneers" in (nurses?) including one young lady who shouted, instead of speaking at a normal volume, at her companion all night. Obviously not the restaurants fault but the acoustics aren't quite right.
Overall though was very nice & would definitely go again

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Went for the Sushi night. It was top quality and very busy. Bad sushi is nearly as memorable as very good sushi this fortunately was the later. Not cheap but still good value.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

We often take foreign guests here and they always love it, the service is much better than previous years whereby you used to feel hurried. The ambience is pleasant and on this occasion they even found a bottle of American Chardonnay in the wine cellar for our guests which just goes to show how far they go to please diners. The thing is, it all boils down as to whether or not you like Asian cuisine, as you can't fault the rest of the dining experience and I'm afraid I fall into the group who are fairly ambivalent about it. I scan the menu and there's barely a couple of dishes I would like to order, I don't like very spicy food, not particularly keen in shell fish or rare red meat so it's not a place I would choose to visit if I were dining at leisure. I will watch the menu to see if other dishes are added then maybe my view might change but until then I'll keep it for business guests.