“Lovely Hotel with great food”
Review of Pine Marten

Pine Marten
Ranked #52 of 440 Restaurants in Harrogate
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, International
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: An idyllic retreat set in beautiful country house-style surroundings,The Pine Marten serves a menu of gourmet European recipes. Trained in high-class cookery schools in Spain and Italy, the chefs bring a wealth of experience, and demonstrate knowledge of a breadth of classic and complex cooking techniques. Partnering with Rothschild wine merchants, guests can choose a bottle from the well-stocked cellar.
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel with great food”
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

We've just returned from a lovely Easter break at the Pine Marten, Harrogate. The hotel is within walking distance of Harrogate, with a walk across the park. On arrival we had drinks in the nice garden at the rear of the hotel. The staff were friendly from the start, and were polite and helpful. The hotel is decorated in a lovely style, including our room which was great. The Pub is obviously popular for food, which had a lovely menu, and so it's a good idea to book a table. We would definitely stay here again.

Visited April 2014

London, United Kingdom
“Hit and Miss”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Been here a couple of times now and it seems to be getting worse. First visit was a table of 16 for dinner. I appreciated we were in a big group but the service was slow and the portions not huge.

Popped in for lunch last week and it took 1hr20 for two pizzas. Ambiance is lovely, staff are friendly they just don't seem to cope and for the prices they charge you would expect them to. A lovely pub just seem to struggle.

• Visited April 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Just a bit disappointing.”
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

We called in for lunch on our way home agreeing we would stop at the first place with a car park.

From the outside The Pine Marten looks Grand. It felt Grand going in. The surroundings are lovely. Then it all just falls to pieces.

None of the staff seemed to want to be there. Charging around busy doing nothing.

The food was good, nice hot sandwiches, but rather overpriced and they took a while to arrive.

The changing rooms are on a completely different floor to the toilets. I only found out after having changed my baby girl in the toilets. I gave the area around the sinks a baby wipe over to be sure I hadn't left a mess behind and it was black!!! They looked clean enough but my baby wipe was filthy. No signage for baby changing with signs for toilets, or if there is I missed it.

Also there was a Baylis & Harding hand wash for each sink, all bottles the same but the colour of the liquid inside different. If you're going to try and pass off cheap hand wash as something different at least do it to all the bottles? It was quite funny.

It was only a quick stop for lunch but the long wait set us back over 2 hours.

What a shame this place could be amazing.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Littlelinney
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Don't bother. OK at best and over priced”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We are locals who went for the Sunday Roast this week but regretted the decision to go here. The food was ok (at best) but overpriced for the standard. Machine carved meat, a flat unimpressive yorkshire pudding with a bowl of overcooked, soggy, luke warm vegetables. You can get far better food and service, much cheaper, in Harrogate. Don't bother.

• Visited March 2014
Brisbane, Australia
“Average food for slightly above average prices ”
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

A large group of us went here for dinner on a Friday night (we had a reservation). If you order before 6pm you can choose from the 'set menu' list for something like £14 for two courses. Some of us arrived a little later so we ordered straight off the menu.
The service was alright-the young guy serving us was polite & mostly attentive.
I think for me it was all the little things that were left off that made for a less than amazing experience. I was surprised when I ordered 250ml of wine to discover that it wasn't poured into a small carafe & served as I needed it, rather all 250mls were poured into one giant glass. Perhaps this is the 'norm' in the UK? I am certainly glad I ordered a red & not a white as it would have been well & truly warm by the time I had finished drinking it.
I ordered the grilled salmon which appeared to have been 'grilled' in a bath of oil, this made the whole meal oily & not particularly nice, such a shame for such a lovely piece of fish. The burger was also acceptable, just a beef burger, nothing to write home about.
What irritated me the most the whole night was that the waiter was not prepared to make a slight alteration to the set menu. One of the kids didn't like any of the desserts on the list (which included creme brûlée, Eton mess & frozen yoghurt, to name a few) & instead asked if it was possible to have two scoops of ice cream.The response to this, what I found to be a fairly reasonable & inexpensive request, was a resounding, no!
In order for the child to have ice cream he had to pay an additional £2.50 on top of the price of the set menu. I know it's not a lot but for 50p of ice cream I thought it outrageous; especially seeing as the other desserts on the set menu were roughly £5 each. It's this kind of inflexibility that you leave thinking to yourself, really?! Really?!
All in all, we wouldn't recommend this place nor go back, I am sure there are much nicer establishments in the area serving comparable if not better food.