“A mixed experience - room was nothing like the one pictured on the hotel's website”

White Hart Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I booked this hotel as I had to stay in Harrogate on business for two nights and the rooms looked lovely on the hotel's website. I got quite a good deal and paid slightly extra to get a double room to have a bit more space, even though I was travelling on my own.

The location of the hotel is great - 5 minutes walk from the centre of Harrogate. Harrowgate itself is a beautiful town full of character.

The hotel lobby is lovely - very modern and contemporary. Perhaps this is why when I entered my room I was very disappointed. I stayed in room 313 - one of the smallest double rooms I have stayed in with less than one foot from the end of the bed to the wardrobes! The wall paint was very patchy and marked and the woodwork very chipped and tired. There were several stains on the carpet and on the lounge chair - far from 4 star. The room was also extremely hot, even with the window open (perhaps because it was on the top floor). Views were very limited as half the window was obscured by a stone feature on the roof. There was a dressing table and mirror but no seat. The bathroom was fine but the bath extremely shallow. The hotel did supply Molton Brown toiletries which was lovely. The towels were also fluffy and very fresh and white.

One thing that I was very impressed with was the room service continental breakfast - which could be ordered at no extra cost. The staff were also all extremely friendly.

All in all a mixed experience. I did ask the girl at check-out if the rooms on the first and second floors were bigger/nicer but she didn't know as she had newly started working at the hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid the 3rd floor
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Louisa-Jane B, Guest Relations Manager at White Hart Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your room on the third floor, I can confirm that this is been addressed as I type as we are looking at completing a refurbishmnet on the rooms and we will be starting with the third floor.
The rooms on the second floor are much lighter in decor and style especially the front facing rooms and do prove to be the most popular, please feel free to request one of these rooms when you next stay with us alternatively feel free to email me directly on sales@whitehart.net and I will ensure that we allocate you one of these rooms.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,723)

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I am very impressed with the changes which have been made to this hotel. The opening of the Fat Badger Brassiere has certainly made a difference, as have the total refurbishment the hotel has seen. Improvements are still continuing. The meal we had was excellent, with good, friendly service. The bedroom we had was a little small, but freshly decorated. We had not been for a few years and were pleasantly surprised. Definitely will go back again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments I can assure you that we are looking at refurbishing the rooms to bring them all to the same standars, the showers will be addressed as well while we do this. We do have varying room sizes and with different aspects. Therefore, we do recommend that when you reserve your room to please advise us with your requirements and requests.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Okay, it's a little tired in places, but for an old building without having a full bottom up refurbishment, it is more than acceptable. It is in an ideal central location for bars and restaurants. The rooms are variable - this time round I had a large room over looking the park. The shower was pretty pathetic, although a colleague had a shower that was good. Breakfast was a quiet affair and of good quality.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We booked a family room as there was three of us in our party. Our room was a double with an adjoining twin. Hotel was clean and comfortable. Great breakfast that is cooked to order. Only negative point was that the room was very warm.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 312. Not a fantastic view but a great spacious room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

The Family room is one of my favourite rooms too and it is often a favourite for Families along with the girls on a break away. I am sorry to hear that the room was roo warm for you, hopefully this will be rectified shortly when we install the new heating system.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights, and must say it is a lovely looking hotel, shabby chic in decor and it really looks the part. It is in a great location, with handy parking around the back which is £5 per day. The Fat Badger Pub on the side of the Hotel was great, but there was always a long wait to get served with lots of people propping up the bar complaining that they have been waiting for around 15 minutes, and a waitress who, instead of walking around to serve meals to the outside area, was crouched down handing food through a part opened window...bizarre!
Our first night we found there was no hot water and the TV in our room didn't work, we had the idea of streaming but the we couldn't pick up the wifi, we called reception who told us that it didn't reach up to our room... hmmm, but that she would get somebody to look at the tv. The next morning there was still no hot water, so we went out and came back at 4 and it was working, and we had a nice new tv on the wall..hoorah!! The 3rd day the room was not serviced, I was told this at 4 in the afternoon when an employee knocked on my door to tell me this, we were getting ready to go out so had to tell him to leave it...
The third night was very hot so had to open the window, and we seemed to be above an air conditioning unit which actually kept me awake most of the night.. It was a little shabby, and the bathroom was dated with cracked bath panel and missing grout, but it's an old building and I expect some lumps and bumps. I was just peeved off at the lack of working facilities, which we had paid for and hotel staff cleaning rooms at 4pm, the noisy generator style air con under our window, and an apathetic receptionist who just said " I can't do anything about that" whenever we complained. Other hotel guests were also complaining in the lobby. The hotel looks the part - but isn't all that!

Room Tip: Ask the receptionist exactly what you are getting with your room rate, then check it's all worki...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Unfortunately the Fat Badger is a popular pub frequented by our guests, visitors and locals in Harrogate the weather was very sunny and warm during your stay at the hotel and due to the limited amount of pubs in Harrogate with an outside area we often do find that we can get extra busy as it is a prime position for those guests wishing to take in the sun rays and a few drinks or two.
I am sorry that you were disrupted by the lack of hot water unofrtunately this was a system fault with our main heating system which did result in us having to call out an emergency plumber to try and rectify the situation.
We are in the process of putting together a full refurbishment and maintenance programme for all of our rooms to ensure that they are all decorated, equipped and to the same standard.
We appreciate all of the feedback that you have given and can assure you that this will be taken into consideration and addresses personally by the General Manager.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

After reading quite a few negative reviews on this hotel we did not know what to expect. We got a lovely front facing room which was spacious and clean and very nice decor. We were on the second floor and did not hear any traffic noise at all! The hotel is in a in a good location from the main town and all the staff here are pleasant and friendly. The breakfast in the morning was very good and all in all if we return to Harrogate we would have no hesitation in booking here again. The only niggle really would be that you have to pay to use their car park!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for lovely comments I will ensure that this is passed on to all the staff. I am sorry that you were disappointed with the Car Parking charge but unfortunately car parking spaces are at a premium in Harrogate and we are very competitively priced in comparison to the other hotels in the area.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

had one night stay for birthday treat,having read reviews was expecting pub with a few rooms and was really pleased to find a very nice hotel with great atmosphere with a bar that didn`t need any music to create a happy vibe.good staff and breakfast added bonus no grumbles at all.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Louisa-Jane B, Guest Relations Manager at White Hart Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Happy Birthday !!!
We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The White Hart and made the most of your stay including The Fat Badger.
It is always great to receive feedback and we will ensure that this is passed on to all of the staff.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.