“Fat badger....bar of hotel.”
Review of White Hart Hotel

White Hart Hotel
Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Harrogate, England, United Kingdom
“Fat badger....bar of hotel.”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Had a couple hours to kill, late afternoon Friday, already quite full and all having fun. This bar is so popular, wide mix of customers too, so you meet interesting people over a beer. Whilst many pubs are struggling, this place has got it right,...plenty customers and therefore plenty of atmosphere.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We booked the White Hart as our final one night stopping post on a six-day tour of the Lake District and the North East. We had never previously visited Harrogate, although we had in the past stayed in various North Yorkshire hotels, and opted for this as we had heard good reviews of the area along the way. Certainly, our first view of the hotel was favourable as we approached from Montpellier Street. The outward facade of the building looked almost regal, but the word facade, used in its less positive sense, was sadly applicable throughout our stay. Having arrived shortly after eleven, we learned that the rooms would not be available until half-past two - this is not a criticism, as I realise that this is normal practice across the country. Nevertheless, it left us somewhat limited for choice, as my mother is ninety years old with limited mobility, and the temperature outside did not really lend itself much to exploring. My wife and my mother whiled away some time with tea in the attractive Brasserie area, while I took advantage of a pint in the well-appointed Fat Badger Bar adjoining the hotel. The ground floor reception area was ornate, but cold, both in temperature and from a point of view of staff who, whilst very polite, seemed somewhat sombre. After braving the conditions and visiting Betty's Tea Rooms, around a ten minute walk from the hotel (beware the steepness of the hills if you have elderly people in tow), we returned to the hotel at around four finally to check in. I was somewhat surprised to be asked to pay for the rooms up-front - not something I am used to. I was also surprised and less than impressed to be given a surcharge of five pounds for the car-park, on the grounds that it was owned by an independent body. Rather a case of being over a barrel, as there was no discernible public parking close to hand. We were allocated two rooms more or less adjacent on the third floor. I had mentioned my mother's lack of mobility when booking and had requested a room catering for such a guest. Whilst it would be churlish in consequence to be picky, the disabled facilties bore more resemblance to those in a geriatric hotel ward than to those anticipated from an established hotel. My mother's room contained dilapidated and shabby furniture, with no spare socket for the kettle, this necessitating either switching off the televison or the dressing-room light in the event of her requiring a hot drink. Her exterior view was almost completely nullified by the presence of a wall which extended up to within four or five inches of the top of her window, adding to the general gloomy atmosphere. My wife and I experienced the same drab conditions in our room across the corridor, and the same problem finding a spare socket for the kettle. The furniture was tired and surfaces scratched, with a half-smoked cigarette outside on the window sill. The bathroom was cold, with an ancient heater working only spasmodically during the course of our stay. The bed, admittedly, was comfortable. Possibly as a result of accumulated tiredness after five days of travel, none of us was in the mood for dinner, so we are unable to comment on the standard of the fare, other than to say that it looked adequate. With my wife retiring to bed early, my mother and I tried the bar for an hour or so during the course of the evening. Clearly a popular haunt for the locals, but the continual opening and closing of the entrance door reminded us of how cold North Yorkshire can be. A charming and friendly young barmaid smilingly assured me that the said bar could cater for our every need drinkswise - a pity therefore about the unavailability of Angostura bitters, Benedictine and any Brandy other than bog-standard Courvoisier. Not really a criticism, just an observation. The following morning saw us reach the breakfast room at 0916 hours, fourteen minutes before the advertised closing time. Having read and been impressed by the extensive breakfast menu the day before, we hoped that the hotel might redeem itself accordingly. Sadly not. My mother is in the habit of starting with a bowl of fruit and some yoghurt. The latter was advertised, but not to be seen. Fruit existed in the form of a few slices of tired-looking pineapple on a dish. I enquired of the waiter whether this would be replenished in view of the fact that breakfast was still officially running, and he informed me that the chef would make the necessary provision. This he did to the extent that the pineapple was supplemented by a few slices of water melon, most of which had already gone by the time we returned to the buffet table. My wife had fancied some cold meats by way of starter - a few slices were to be seen, but with no bread or similar to accompany them. Tea and coffee were ordered, with a waitress presenting us with a milk jug less than one quarter full for the three of us. I summoned her and requested that it be filled, whereupon she waved her hand to the buffet table, announcing that I could get a refill there. And there I was thinking that it might have been her job instead. My mother ordered two poached eggs, and that is exactly what she got, as apparently toast for the said eggs is an optional extra. Absurd. My kipper was minuscule and swimming in a variety of liquids, none of which enhanced its flavour. Maybe we were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. It was a delight to leave, car park fee notwithstanding, and I am not anticipating a return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I visited this hotel on business in November 2012. The location and the outside of this hotel is very pleasent as was the welcome from the receptionist on arrivale. The hotel was clean and in very good decrative state and had a relaxed atmosphere. The main problem was the size of the single room I was given. The bed was along one wall which was a little clastraphobic also there was not a lot of space to move. The breakfast was tasty and enjoyable.
A single room overnight for a business trip would be acceptable but not for a longer period.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a single room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for three nights over Christmas with my husband.
Fantastic hotel was initially slightly concerned as never stayed in a hotel previously at Christmas. Hotel was great, excellent food, service was great and very friendly and relaxed atmosphere.
Great value for money.
Would stay again.
Only comment would be rooms could be a little larger - ours was small but we didn't spend much time in it.
Great hotel for a Christmas break.

• Stayed December 2012
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We found this hotel to be really lovely. The staff were friendly and everything was nicely done. We ate in the restaurant and the food was great, breakfast was super too.
The Fat badger has a great atmosphere and we met some really nice people who added to the feel good factor.
I would recommend this to anyone, its great value for money and just a bit different from other hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the square, some of the side rooms don't have a great outlook.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013

The location of this hotel is excellent but the hotel itself could be so much better. Very impressive from the outside and receptionist at check in was very polite. Our room on the second floor was very bright, however it was in need of decorating and was very dusty.The bathroom was small, had powerful shower but was dirty when we arrived. Bed very large but so hard. Breakfast was ok, had to ask for several items and staff not very happy. We visit Harrogate on a regular basis but have stayed in much better equipped hotels. This hotel could be so much better if money was spent on decorating the rooms and updating bathrooms.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013

It was in a convenient location to the exhibition venue

However, the single room was small , dank and dark . Done up prettily but a ruffled lampshade is no compensation for a hard mattress. The WiFi was terrible . Free WiFI means no wifi! Maybe solo travellers dont get the best of both worlds !

The breakfast laid out was miniscule with bare minimum of choices . My order of scrambled eggs was probably just one egg .
Overall, was ok for a night on a business trip . Wouldnt stay with family.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business