“Central Location for Harrogate”

White Hart Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Booked this Hotel very late for an exhibition at the HIC so didn't expect to get anywhere near the venue. However this hotel is just 2 minutes away and there was a single room availability so booked it at a very reasonable £80 per night B and B. Another big plus is the parking at the rear which cost just £2 however long you stay.
Reception staff were very friendly and had a bit of a joke which is always nice.
It definitely was a single room with a single bed and small bathroom but it was only one night.
I had to make some modifications like putting the TV on top of the waste bin so I could see over the frame at the end of the bed! The room was also incredibly hot and had to have the window open which made it very noisy as it was on the front of the building.
Breakfast was nice, (not a buffet but freshly cooked) and all the staff were friendly and helpful.
The Hotel is an elegant neo-classic style building which was built to house the Victorian gentry that used to take the waters of the nearby spa. It has the Fat Badger pub on the side which I wasn't sure worked with the rest of the building and afternoon tea can be taken in the tea room, no doubt they accommodate the customers that get fed up with queuing at the famous nearby Betty's Tea Rooms. Would definitely stay again but would ask for a rear facing double. Overall a good experience.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,722)

Reviewed October 30, 2012

We arrived at the hotel for around 9am on Monday morning and parked in the rear car park. We left the car there then went off shopping. After a wonderful browse around Harrogate we went back to the hotel to check in. Once in our room, we were pleased with what we had. They gave us room 214 which was ample enough for the 2 of us. The bathroom was a little small but again, fine for a one night stay!! We unpacked then went down to the Fat Badger pub within the hotel. We found it to be a bit smelly and not very comfortable so we had 1 drink and went back into town. On our way home we called into the Crown hotel bar (opposite) and found that to be lovely. We decided to have dinner there instead of the White Hart. ( the food was lovely) When we went up to our room at around 9pm we settled down to watch some tele. At 9:50 the people, who were staying in the room above us, ARRIVED!!!!! They then proceded to bang around in their room for the next however many hours, the floorboards were creaking, we could hear every word they were saying, it actually sounded like they were coming through the ceiling!!! We were furious and by 12pm we rang down to reception who said they would sort it. Everything went queitish for around 5 minutes, then they were off again only this time, 10 times louder than before!!!!! We then rang reception again and demanded we were moved (at 1:45 in the morning!! We were given room 207 which was a twin room and very quiet. All in all, we will visit The White Hart again as they were amenable, However, we will only book if they guarantee us a room away from any potential noisy, selfish idiots!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wendy1909
Reviewed October 26, 2012

My first visit to Harrogate and definitely not my last. A 24-hour visit for business purposes caused conflict between my brain and heart, resulting in my feet not wanting to move in the direction of the meetings I had to attend, but rather to explore this beautiful town and devour as much of it's local fare as possible. My stay at White Hart started off very well and after being offered a beautiful lower-floor room decorated in a rustic French style I almost collapsed into the fluffy white bed thinking this is where I could comfortably stay for a few days. Unfortunately within minutes a strong mechanic humming from behind the walls in the room started to worry me, and realising that at 5pm in the evening if I was that concerned then I would most likely not sleep at all that evening I changed rooms. The very helpful front desk staff were generous in offering me options and I was quickly moved to a room on a higher floor. The views over the park from the window overlooking the turret-style roof were stunning however the bedroom was a million years away from the French chic I had enjoyed downstairs - almost as if I had walked into a different hotel. It was simply a dark room with negative character but for a short stay the room was 'fine' - definitely no joy that I had felt in the original room. If I was here for a getaway I would have room-swapped until I found just the right room but for this stay all I needed was a bed to sleep on. Admittedly White Hart gave me much more.
White Hart's restaurant and pub are beautiful. Their food is fresh and delicious. The building has a castle-like feel while being warm, inviting and actually fun. There is a decidedly modern feel and look to the entire property which begs a second-look and kudos to White Hart for making it work. The White Hart is a social hub of Harrogate and one which I would definitely visit again. It's an easy 10 minute walk from the station (downhill) and close enough to Betty's and much more that I'd question why you'd need to stay elsewhere?

Room Tip: This is definitely one hotel where it doesn't hurt to ask "What other rooms are available...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank LuxeTravelerHK
Reviewed October 20, 2012

First impressions of the hotel were excellent. It is well-presented and the receptionist was welcoming. However, on arrival in our twin room, which was well-furnished. The tea-making facilities were not up to standard. One of the cups was dirty and so was the tray on which the items were placed. I contacted the reception and they informed the assistant manager would come to see us. He promptly did and brought with him a replacement cup. When I took a shower, the water was cold. I reported this to the reception and they said they would look into it. We received no feedback about this and I assumed it had been fixed - until I showered in the morning and it was stil cold.

On a more positive note, at breakfast, the staff were vey accommodating and provided me with gluten-free toast.

Overall, first impressions are excellent but I have stayed in better hotels which have had a lower star rating than this one. I would have expected better quality for the amount we paid.

Room Tip: Request a room at the front of the hotel or you will end up with a view of the car park or the side...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Clair1801
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We celebrated my father's birthday with Sunday lunch in the board room. Everyone was very helpful and accommodating at the planning stage. The room itself was beautiful, and was ideal as it allowed the young children to get down from the table between courses.
On the day, we were able to meet in the bar for a drink before going to the room for a lovely meal. The young lady who acted as hostess/waitress was superb and we all remarked on how charming she was. I would happily recommend this service.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for a 1 night stay, on arrival the staff were very helpful and although we were early the room was ready and we checked in straight away. The room was very spacious and was very clean, and of a good standard. The bathroom was modern and had good quality complimentary toiletries. The breakfast choice was excellent and was presented to a high standard with great service. There is a hotel pub which has a good choice of beers and ales and although we did not eat here the food looked excellent. This hotel is traditional, clean and is in a fantastic location for a visit to Harrogate.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Although I've give an 'average' overall rating, it's not a bad hotel. Our room was clean and comfortable - perhaps a little small, but then it was not very expensive either, (I rang and booked rather than use any website and found it £20 per night less). Breakfast was a little fraught on our second day as everybody seemed to turn up at the same time.

The hotel restaurant is very good. We had one evening meal there.

The hotel is very well situated near the centre of Harrogate. Betty's Tea shop is only 5 minutes walk as are some really good restaurants. Valley Gardens is just round the corner and that's worth a look on a nice day.

Room Tip: Try and stay at the front of the hotel, I did, but there are other reviews of the hotel which infer...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple