“Superficial pleasantries but no genuine service or care”
Review of Alexa House

Alexa House
Ranked #56 of 98 Harrogate B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 11, 2012

This accommodation is run for the convenience of the owners and not the needs of the guests. The accommodation was adequate but we found compared to other b&bs we stop in whilst on business that there was a lack of real care and understanding of the guests needs.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank MarkWomersley
Management response:Responded July 14, 2012

My contact with these guests was them asking to check in between 10pm and 10.30pm.
I was quite pleasant when I said that my latest check in was 10pm especially as it was the Great Yorkshire Show and I was up for 6am breakfasts. I am aware how quickly time flies when you are out enjoying a meal and so asked if they would mind checking in after they had set up and before they went out for a meal. It is true I was in the bar at 10.15pm saying good night to my guests and checking they had what they needed in my honesty bar before I went to bed.
As for my Cornflakes being stale, I find that highly unlikely as I replenish the bowl regularly and it is sealed with cling film when not in use. I also provide the small individual portion size cereals so if they had wanted these were available. It is a shame they chose not to stay but as he was so aggressive in his demand for me not to charge him for the 2 nights whatever I had offered he would not have been happy.
I can understand he was very disappointed not to be able to sell his products due to the show being cancelled but as I do not control the weather I do not feel that it is my fault he chose to go home early. There are many great things to do in and around Harrogate and had I been him I would have taken the opportunity for a break and enjoyed what turned out ot be 2 lovely sunny days – a rare change for this summer.
Sandra Doherty - Owner

Reviewed July 11, 2012

We booked Alexa House for three nights whilst we exhibited at the Great Yorkshire Show, unfortunately the Show was cancelled after one day due to heavy rain.

On the day of our arrival I rang ahead to say we would be checking in at 9.30pm, however this was too late for Sandra as she had to be up early to prepare breakfast, so after doing a days work, driving over and setting up for the show we re arranged dinner reservations to check in so that Sandra could go to bed, only to find her still up and entertaining at 10.15 pm when we arrived back after dinner! We did not challenge this but let it go.

I opted for a light breaskfast, the cornflakes had been left out too long and were aired, the toast was cold. We did not challenge this but let it go.

When the show was cancelled we decided to to go home, we were there to work and earn money, we would have been quite happy to pay for two nights even though we only stayed for one, but Sandras terms and conditions stated that we had to pay for the full three nights never minding any natural disaster, we could not stay and enjoy Harrogate as Sandra suggested as we did not want to incurr further costs. We could not compromise or negotiate, it was not an option for us.

My husband did challenge Sandras gesture or any goodwill that she might have for us, but there was none.

We run our own business too and have to be people friendly, if you want to be in the service industry I would suggest that you provide a service that is people friendly and that does not rip people off!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I have been a regular staying guest at Alexa House since February and what a delight it has been. I have slept in almost every room on offer and have never been disappointed (room 9 is my personal favorite). Sandra is a wonderful host who has a world of local knowledge and will go the extra mile to ensure your stay is a pleasant one and is always on hand if help is needed. All rooms have a great selection of beverages and a lovely pack of biscuits as a added bonus. The bathrooms have excellent large fluffy towels and a good range of toiletries. The beds are comfy and you get a good nights sleep. Free Wi-Fi and parking is also an added bonus and for those that don’t have a laptop there is a PC in the front room should you need it. I have never eaten from the hotel as my shift work starts from 05:30 but I can assure you all food is fresh and purchased locally as I have stopped and chatted to Sandra many times when she is returning from the local butchers. The location of the hotel is great as the town center is only a 5 minute walk. I cant recommend this hotel enough and I have stayed at other hotels around Harrogate The crown and Holiday inn to name a few.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank James G
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Recently stayed at the Alexa House for 1 night whilst on a course in Harrogate and stayed in one of the stable cottages.
The room was pleasant with a good range of beverages and toiletries. The shower was powerful and hot! A bit of a sticking point with me and B&B's. Breakfast was fresh and well presented. A good range of cereals to start and then everything from a full breakfast to kippers as you would expect.
The main building is very impressive and traditionally styled. Very tastefully. Pleasant host and very reasonably priced.
The only issue for me was 4 stations on the TV....... not that I am a big TV fan, but I think that nowadays most people would expect all of the freeview channels..... especially as the night I stayed was cold and wet! Thank you all at the Alexa for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Scott C
Reviewed April 13, 2012

me my wife and my 15 month old boy have just returned from a 2 night break.
I phoned to book and was told we could come at anytime as our room was ready which was good.
we arrived and got checked in straight away, showed to our room, we booked a king room and i have to say its not a big room, well smaller than any premier in room we have stayed in and a small bath room, but it was o.k for what we needed.
it was a 10 to 15 minute walk into harrogate and sandra was helpfull in telling us where to go and eat.
we was out all day, and we got back it was straight to the room to get our little boy to sleep(in a cot sadra had provided for us) me and my wife watched a bit of tv then to sleep for a good nights rest what we all got as the bed was comfy and the cot was great for our boy.
the next morning down for breakfast where a good selection of cereal fresh fruit and dried fruit and nuts. Was asked what we like cooked, you ask for it you get it, and very nice it was, again sandra was helpfull in telling us where to go, a the weather wasnt great so a drive out it was.
again out all day and back to the room for a rest.
all in all, its a pleasent little place, I have to say a bit pricey for what it is but we enjoyed it. i would recommend it tho.
there is a little bar there, doesnt stock much but we wasnt going to use it anyway.
We did go to the white hart hotel in town, and for £10 more its in the centre, and talked to some guests who stayed there and said its very good, but the fat badger pub is expensive.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank petejknotts
Reviewed April 2, 2012

The positives were:
The location - only a short walk into Harrogate
The towels - fluffy and large bath sheet
The wifi - available in the stable rooms
The parking - there are 8 spaces and space on the street nearby
The breakfast cereal and fruit selection was better than most
Good sized room
Small fridge in room

The negatives were:
The breakfast - pretty average cooked breakfast porridge too dry
The hot water - the water was really hot from the taps but shower was only one temperature so a bath is better as you can cool down the water with lots of cold!
Being told we couldn't pay at breakfast as the landlady was too busy!
Unfortunately at times I was made to feel a bit of an inconvenience as a guest - the landlady has rules which you are supposed to know which other people have referred to.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Arrived at Alexa House and parked, as it was not yet check in time we asked if it was ok to leave the car and check in later, the owner Sandra introduced herself and said it was fine to check in straight away, nice touch.
Our room at the front of the house was compact but had everything we needed,and very clean. The water pressure in the bathroom was poor and as a result the shower was inadequate.However lovely fluffy towels and good quality toiletries were very welcome.
Breakfast was excellent and was served between 8am & 9am a later option would have been welcome as it was the weekend.
Alexa house is a stunning property and we throughly enjoyed our stay however to receive knock on the door and stern 10 minute warning bang on check out time of 10.30am on a sunday morning just as we were gathering our belongings together, followed by another knock on the door 7 minutes later found us leaving Alexa House at 10.38am like a very naughty pair of school kids!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple