“Excellent timekeeping required!!!!”

Ranked #60 of 99 Harrogate B&B and Inns
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Excellent timekeeping required!!!!”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Arrived at Alexa House and parked, as it was not yet check in time we asked if it was ok to leave the car and check in later, the owner Sandra introduced herself and said it was fine to check in straight away, nice touch.
Our room at the front of the house was compact but had everything we needed,and very clean. The water pressure in the bathroom was poor and as a result the shower was inadequate.However lovely fluffy towels and good quality toiletries were very welcome.
Breakfast was excellent and was served between 8am & 9am a later option would have been welcome as it was the weekend.
Alexa house is a stunning property and we throughly enjoyed our stay however to receive knock on the door and stern 10 minute warning bang on check out time of 10.30am on a sunday morning just as we were gathering our belongings together, followed by another knock on the door 7 minutes later found us leaving Alexa House at 10.38am like a very naughty pair of school kids!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Reviewed November 13, 2011

We stayed here for one night and it was great. Staff were lovely and the location was great. Couple of things I thought were poor was that the pipe work was quite noisy during the night and the fact that if you weren't down early enough for breakfast you had to share a table with a stranger, you can make you're own mind up on this but it's not my thing. Apart from that it was fine and would most probably stay again, but ask for a different room and be down for breakfast early;)

• Stayed November 2011
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Promises, promises topped only by lies, lies lies. I realised that I had made the booking in error and INFORMED THE PROPIERTOR WITHIN ONE HOUR of bookingI. After 2 or 3 emails it was very apparent that she didnt want to even consider any refund. Only after mentioning TRIPADVISOR did she relent saying "she would refund BUT NEED TO DEDUCT commision charged by BOOKING.COM". Upon calling Booking.com they confirmed no charge would be levied to Alexa House. It made no difference to her attitude. It cost me 90 pounds and, as a pensioner, its far more than I can afford. I have used Booking.com before AND NEVER EVER HAD TO PAY FOR ACCOMODATION IF IT WAS UNUSED. Think very carefully before agreeing to stay in this hotel............there are many others!!

Room Tip: Dont bother
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GeoffR1
Alexa_HouseHarrogate, Owner at Alexa House, responded to this review, November 14, 2011
Unfortunately this guest had booked 2 rooms and then found out that he had a better offer for the evening. I did say I would try to resell the rooms but was subsequently unable to do.
I did however refund in full the cost of one of the rooms.
My terms and conditions are very clear when booking through Bookin.com the first night is non refundable. I only refunded him the one room as he stated he was a pensioner, not the fact that he said he would post a bad review on TripAdvisor. I should have saved my money as he has posted a bad review and not even stayed anyway.
Cobham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed for two nights at Alexa B&B. The accommodation was spotlessly clean, comfortable, high quality toiletries and excellent breakfast. Whilst our room wasn't big, it had everything we needed. Our room was in the main building which i think is preferable.

Location is just 10 minutes walking distance to conference centre and the town. Betty's tea rooms is 15 minutes away.

For us Alexa House was 'a gem' of a find and made our brief visit to Harrogate even more enjoyable.

• Stayed October 2011
CAERPHILLY
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Excellent in all respects: the welcome from Sandra and Dave, the bed, the room and the breakfasts were all exceptional. We would certainly return.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Surrey
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Comfy beds, nice room, spotlessly clean, lovely products in the bathroom and a fantastic breakfast made with local produce. We stayed for three nights and would happily have stayed longer! There's a sitting room where you can relax in the evening and make good use of the honesty bar. The owners are friendly and fun and know the local area well if you need any recommendations for eating out or places to see. We would go back for sure.

• Stayed July 2011
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2011

I booked the Alexa for a one-night stay whilst visiting an exhibition, and had great expectations having read the reviews on Trip Advisor.

Although the Alexa did not appear to be full, I was allocated one of the "stable rooms" which are converted outbuildngs in the car park at the rear of the house. The bedroom itself was spacious enough for a single traveller and the bed was comfortable, but the finish and decoration in the bathroom in particular would have benefitted from being refreshed.

I was very surpresd that given the location of the room in the car park, which is effectively open to the access road to the rear of all of the properties in the street , the inside door lock was only of the standard flimsy "centre turn" hotel room variety, with no door chain. I would have expected something better for the peace of mind of guests. I cannot imagine that single women travellers in particular would find this acceptable.

A fairly substantial breakfast was served in the house and whilst perfectley adequate was not exceptional.

A plus point for the Alexa is the availability of parking on the property.

Overall, I was disppointed with the experience after reading the reviews, the Alexa is nothing out of the ordinary and I felt it was expensive for what it provided.

Room Tip: Avoid the "stable rooms".
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo