“Quality, quantity and value in Harrogate”
Review of Shalimar

Shalimar
Ranked #19 of 459 Restaurants in Harrogate
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Passing by we saw the three course menu advertised at what seemed a very good price. Reception was friendly and helpful, as was the service throughout. First of the three courses was just the popadoms which were accompanied by no fewer than seven spicy dips, which we were assured were all home made. This seemed good but not that exceptional. But then the second course appeared. We had expected the usual shami kebab and samosas, but no -not the Shalimar. Instead a good sized sizzling platter fully loaded with grilled chicken breast, chicken legs, lamb, potato slices and mushrooms, both in batter, all on a base of fried onions. And then the main course, for which we had chosen a rogan josh and a curry we had never come across before, a Dhali (or similar spelling), well spiced and served with both pilaf rice and an enormous apparently home made naan bread. Well washed down with well-chilled Cobra beer.
Restaurant needs to ensure the special deals advertised outside appear on the menu inside and any exclusions e.g. prawns are made clear.
Overall, excellent for quality, quantity and value.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Dined here with my boyfriend on a Saturday evening. Had reserved a table and he gave us the table by the window. Service was exceptional. We were attended to by a very charming waiter, nothing was too much trouble. The food was lovely and very good value. The peshwari naan was enormous! There is a set menu on a Saturday night, but you have to ask and it is exceptional value. I haven't eated in any other Indian restaurants in Harrogate to rate it against, but when we return we will be coming back to Shalimar that's for sure. If you like relaxed dining, great Indian food with friendly staff then this is the place for you. Keep up the good work Shalimar - we will be back!!

1  Thank Karen S
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Drawn in by the three course set price deal on a board outside I was presented with a menu that made no mention of it. The waitress didn't know either so she called the manager. He explained that the three courses would comprise the popadoms that I already had, a mixed starter, my choice of curry and a nan. Fair enough.

I award good marks for the enterprising pickle tray with no less than seven to choose from. We'll draw a veil over the mixed starter, which was bulked out by a lot of onion and soggy, flavourless battered potato slices.

The Lamb Dhansak that came next was nicely balanced, with enough recognisable meat to escape accusations of meanness. The nan that came with it was the star of the show. Light, fresh and delicious.

The bottled beer was cold, and fairly priced. I got the full set of sweet treats with the bill, despite being a fairly low spending customer.

In short, I would return, but I would have a look round to see what else was on offer first.

1  Thank MrOrganist
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Being indian myself and travelled over uk, i am not so sure this curry house is great. It was ok but very average but depending on other curries in the town, then i suppose it may be best in harrogate. A friend who lives in he area advised us to go to leeds or bradford as harrogate is not renowned for great curry houses. I suppose that is why shalimars has good grades, the better of a very average bunch. Sorry as the staff were pleasant but food was very average as was decor.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

me and my husband have just spent a great weekend in Harrogate so after positive reviews for this restaurant we decided on our last night (10th aug) we would give it a go we did not book but was greeted by friendly staff that found us a table straight away. immediately served with poppadoms and plenty of pickles and asked what drinks we would like we went with the house red which was fantastic after a few minutes we was asked if we had decided on our food we hadn't the waiter said take your time there's no rush and if you cannot see anything on the menu that you like we can make anything you would like just ask and we can recommend dishes as well, wooow never been told that before at a restaurant very impressed with staffs attention to details and happy to accommodate our needs. we normally go with onion bhaji for starters but as we had never tried a mixed platter to share in an Indian before we gave it a go defiantly not let down by this choice there was fish,chicken on the bone and of the bone, lamb chops and kofte all served on a bed of onions and peppers fantastic. after tackling the starter our table was swiftly cleared away and was asked if we required our main dishes or did we want to wait after a huge starter we decided to have a breather and wait and enjoy the wine and atmosphere, all customers that arrived after us was all met with the same friendliness of the staff and nothing was too much trouble. for the main I had a chicken bhuna and my husband had a chicken tikka khari special with mushroom rice to share and a garlic nann wow the chicken melted in your mouth the rich sauce was to die for the rice was plenty full and fluffy and I have never had a nann bread that was so light and huge!! we would highly recommend this restaurant to all visiting Harrogate for fantastic service, fantastic food, friendly atmosphere and our total bill was £44 which was good value for money including the bottle of red we will defiantly make a point of visiting Harrogate again and will defiantly be returning to Shalimar!!

1  Thank rachel m