“Excellent meal!”
Review of Poppodums - CLOSED

Poppodums
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Eastern European
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Takeout, Waitstaff
Ripon, United Kingdom
“Excellent meal!”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I really love this place. The food is great and I love the service is top notch.

Eat in or take out - always a great experience. I recommend the Makhani Special!

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank Simon E

Harrogate
“Harrogate's best kept secret!”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Poppodums is without a doubt Harrogate’s best kept secret but I shall gossip and share all! We have had a take away a couple of times and absolutely loved it but we ‘popped’ in last week as we wanted a meal without our dogs head butting our plates and hoping for a crumb to fall their way!

The restaurant is tiny but nice and welcoming and you genuinely feel as though you are on holiday and that you have stumbled into somewhere that just the locals know about. Even though we ended up being the only diners at one point we felt relaxed and the atmosphere is so laid back that you feel right at home.

We had five huge poppadoms with a pickle tray as an appetiser and each of the pickles were superb with hot and sweet, spicy and salty tastes all acquired for. We then had the king prawns in Tandoori sauce to share which were gorgeous and without a doubt the biggest prawns that I have seen in Harrogate – more like langoustines and priced for under a fiver is brilliant!

For my main, I chose the garlic and chilli special with Bombay rice and a Peshwari naan bread and my hubbie had the green Masala special and egg rice. Both were delicious and the naan bread was unbelievable. Both of these dishes can be made spicier and it is always great to have the option.

We also had a pint and a half of Cobra and shared a bottle of the French white wine and of course some great conversation with the wonderful Sadiq.

All of this worked out less than £50 and it is so nice to know that any money that is made on alcohol is sent to help Sadiq’s friends and family back home.

It is such a shame that the restaurant isn’t bustling but from the amount of orders coming in and the speed that the delivery man was moving it was plain to see that the food is very popular so please, please check this local business out!

• Visited October 2013
4 Thank holidayqueen0
“Great take away”
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

The food is very good however I'm not sure i would eat in the restaurant as I very rarely ever see anyone in there. The is absolutely no atmosphere or music. Try the takeaway.

Visited October 2013
3 Thank David H
Ipswich, England, United Kingdom
“Solid value - great food.”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Considering how many restaurants there are in Harrogate (296 listed on tripadvisor..!), for this unassuming little place to get to number 14 is both amazing and deserved. The four of us tipped up around opening time on day two of our half-term Harrogate jaunt. Actually, we were early, but the doors were open, and the boss was very accommodating. Though we were the only table occupied, it was clear that Poppodums does a cracking takeaway trade, as there was a steady flow of people back and forth while we ate.

The boss was happy to cater for my daughter's lack of adventure with an off-menu butter chicken (with chips, of course). She ate this happily and had some help from her brother to finish the very generous portion of chips. My lamb rogon josh was great; the meat tender and plentiful; the sauce complex and flavoursome. My son had a chicken balti. This was madras strength by request, and it was quite hot. Not a problem, just the usual lottery of variation between one curry house and the next. He did eat most of it and it was tasty. In fact, the boss graciously offered a milder dish as an alternative, but he'd eaten enough by that point anyway - mainly down to another large portion of chips for lunch! Can't recall what my wife had, but it was something mild for a change and there were no complaints.

So, despite the less than glamorous location (opposite a big boozer on the edge of a housing estate), the boss and his team have really got it right. Probably because of its position and lower overheads, it's really good value. It's easy to park, easy to find. If it's a good quality, value meal your after, and not somewhere flash to impress, I can't think why anyone would go anywhere else.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank JohnC342
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Excellent!!”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Best curry house in Harrogate! Staff always friendly and recognize us every time and know our drinks order before we even ask! The food is the best indian in Harrogate! Reccomend to everyone we know!!

• Visited September 2013