“Excellent coffee and we thought the cakes were great”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Baltzersens Ltd

Baltzersens Ltd
Ranked #25 of 436 Restaurants in Harrogate
Cuisines: Cafe, European, Swedish, Scandinavian, Norwegian
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
london
1,100 restaurant reviews
“Excellent coffee and we thought the cakes were great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

We thought we would give this place a go as you don't get many Scandinavian coffee shops in Harrogate and we were not disappointed. The coffee here was very good indeed and the cakes were delicious. We were not so hungry so opted for small bites and ended up with light small doughnuts at £1 each and brioche filled with summer fruits. Both were spot on, simple but delicious and not too sweet. I would like to come back and try some of their food.

Harrogate, England, United Kingdom
“Great Cakes!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Nice relaxed atmosphere, pleasant interior and a little different to the usual coffee shops. Generally good coffee although on one occasion it was a little wishy washy and I do like a nice strong coffee but they were happy to re-make for me. If you have a sweet tooth like me then the cakes are excellent and many of them quite unusual, definatley the best bit in my opinion! Service is okay and friendly enough but a little uncharismatic and could do with a bit of extra spark but otherwise fine.

Barnsley, England, United Kingdom
“A quirky experience, but didn't like the cake.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

My partner and I visited at the end of September 2013 as part of our 5 year anniversary weekend. We'd originally booked for afternoon tea at Betty's as my partner is a huge tea drinker, but as I don't like tea, and neither of us like fruit scones, we decided it would be a bit of a waste of money and cancelled our reservation. Instead, we chose Baltzersens on a friend's recommendation.
It is quite a interesting little place. We were greeted by a friendly staff member who led us to the only available table towards the back of the cafe. Strangely, they don't take orders at your table. instead you have to queue at the counter to place your order, but again the staff were very friendly, and even assured me that the unusual tea my other half had chosen was a good one.
We each selected a Koldtbord for lunch - I went for fish, my partner went for meat. I ordered water, and my other half tea. Being a huge fan of cinnabons, my other half also ordered a cinnamon bun and I ordered some lovely looking chocolate cake.
Strangely, our cake arrived along with our drinks, and before our Koldtbords - we had a tiny table, so fitting everything on was a challenge! Our Koldtbords arrived not long after this.
On first inspection, we were admittedly a little disappointed by the Koldtbords. On seeing the large and lovely looking open sandwiches arriving at the other tables, our offering seemed a bit small especially as they were more expensive, though they were artfully presented on slate boards. In actual fact, the portion sizes were adequate for a lunchtime meal, and we did feel satisfied. The meat board had cuts of ham, beef and pate with a small side salad, and the fish board had smoked mackerel, king prawns (which were unfortunately of the prepacked supermarket slightly tasteless variety) and gravlax, with ribbons of cucumber. There were also various sauces/chutneys to compliment each meat/fish. The bread basket we were served was a nice touch, but I didn't particularly enjoy the tomato flat bread as it was doughy and undercooked, though my partner enjoyed it. We both left most of the cracker type bread as we didn't like that much.
If I was rating on the savoury food alone, we would have rated very good, but unfortunately we didn't have a good time on the cakes.
My other half was very disappointed by his cinnamon bun - it was dry, and stale. My cake, while it looked beautiful, was also slightly dry which I could have coped with, but the chocolate ganache had a very strange taste to it. I couldn't work out what it was, but I really didn't like it, so I had to leave most of my cake. :-( And I like cake!!
As no one came to clear our table at any point (we had to do a big shuffle when we wanted to swop our plates around to eat our cake), and I'm not the sort of person to march up to the counter and make a fuss, there was no subtle opportunity to pass on our comments to any of the staff. As such, we left feeling a little disappointed, and without having given anyone our feedback, so can't comment on how it would have been received. My other half did like his tea though...

So, all in all, we enjoyed our savoury lunch, the staff were friendly if not very attentive, and we didn't like the cakes.

• Visited September 2013
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“A gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Dribbled on this place on a visit to Harrogate. Went in for a coffee but thought is chance an open samdwich. Well, the smoked mackerel dish was fantastic. So many flavours and ideas on one dish. I've been to Michelin star restaurants and been less impressed.

I would really go out of my way to go here again. First time I've written a review for ages. It's that good. My kids waffles were great too.

Go there.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Refreshingly good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

What a great place! Intimate, a little quirky and different to the usual offerings. The Gravlax with Poached egg on rye bread was a definite winner for me for breakfast followed by a very yummy home made cake. Also really liked the sound of some of the lunch time offerings. Great food with a Scandinavian theme, friendly service and comfortable atmosphere. Not quite sure why I hadn't found an opportunity to go here before now but will definitely be back very soon!