“Quirky and Elegant Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hotel du Vin and Bistro to your Saves list
Hotel du Vin and Bistro
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prospect Place, Harrogate HG1 1LB, England   |
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
“Quirky and Elegant Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed at Hotel du Vin for a Master Sommelier dinner held in their private dinning room. The hotel was very elegant and well appointed. We had a room with disabled access on the ground floor which was well appointed although the bath in the bedroom was a bit lost on me and I stubbed my toe on the wooden plinth about 3 times. There were numerous nice little touches such as Nespresso on the room, dressing gowns and touches you'd expect from a boutique hotel. The most negative thing I can think of about our room was the temperature, it must be south facing and it was a particularly warm day, even with the blinds down and curtains closed during the day it was stifling. The food was of a good standard although I think the kitchen struggled with our table for 16 because some of the food wasn't too hot and breakfast was tasty, although watch your knees in the bistro, the chairs don't work with the tables and you rush your legs, our friend in a wheelchair couldn't sit up against the table properly because the table was too low.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Brian v, General Manager at Hotel du Vin and Bistro, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Maxine M,

Thank you for visiting our hotel and writing your review, great to hear you had a fantastic wine dinner. I do take on board your points and will address these.

Hope we can welcome you back soon to one of our popular wine events.

Brian van Oosten

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Eaten in the bistro on a few occasions, this time was not so good!

Last portion of scallops at 7.30 ? Last portion of mussels by 8.30? Can't anyone plan a kitchen at this place?

The tables either side of us were disgruntled when there choices were unavailable so early in the evening in what was a largely empty dining room.

Food quality was no better than average and poor given the prices. £150 for dinner for two.

Service and location are good, but disappointed some one somewhere had let the accountants run the bistro.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars
      Location
    • 4 of 5 stars
Dear Kevin,

Thank you for your review, my apologies for running out of items on our menu.
We have had a busy lunchtime and we had sold more then we had anticipated.
Please let me know next time you are coming back and I will apologise in person.

Wales
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

The position of the hotel is great, very near town with parking (£10 per night!) outside. When you go in the entrance is lovely, the bar area and array of drinks very impressive. To begin with the gentleman who helped us was really nice and helpful, however the girl at checkout was rather unhelpful.
On entering the room it felt very warm, and rather cramped ... although we had mentioned that we were having hair and make up wedding trials in the room ... and had asked for a large room!
After the first night - which we didn't sleep a wink as it was SO hot, (window wide open onto the roof tiles!) we complained to reception and was told to use the fan .... I informed them that there wasn't one and Iooked at me as if I'd stolen it!! The nice man did put a large fan into the room when we came back. The room was rather small, and we did struggle with the sessions with four of us in the room. The hairdresser and make up lady mentioned that the room felt really hot. We struggled through the second night having taken the sheet off the duvet and slept under the sheet only. When I mentioned how uncomfortable it had been on checkout, the girl was very uninterested, and just wanted me to pay and leave.... which we did!! I have to say for the price .. £175 for Fri and £195 Sat ... NO BREAKFAST included ..... never again!! we could have gone to the Holiday Inn for a lot less money, and had a better nights sleep.

Room Tip: Don't have the furthest room from the lift.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank halftonwaterbaby
Dear Halftonwaterbaby,

thank you for your review, it saddens me to read we did not met your expectations.
Please do give me a call next time you are planning to visit us and I will oversee your booking to ensure we will exceed your expectations.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for a 90th birthday celebration.
The rooms are tired and in need of a coat of paint and some general maintenance. It was very hot in one of the rooms and noisy with the window open.
However the bistro staff made our stay. Helpful, friendly and keen to make our stay special - one even sang beautifully to the birthday girl in Polish!
The kitchen seems badly organised - service is quite slow eg the chips turned up 5 minutes after our steak and the plates were cold BUT the food was lovely! The breakfast buffet was wonderful - everything you could possibly want on offer.
So very much a game of 2 halves, the staff rescue an average (and IMO overpriced) establishment.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sara T
Brian v, Manager at Hotel du Vin and Bistro, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Sara T,

Thank you for taking the time and reviewing our property, I do take onboard your points and will address these with my team. Good to hear my staff were so helpful and you had a great stay.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Regards,

York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

We booked one night at the hotel to compliment our visit to the Great Yorkshire Show.
Reception staff, bar staff and restaurant staff were all extremely welcoming and polite.
We were upgraded to a top floor Dom Pérignon suite which was fantastic.
The hotel is clean and well maintained.
The food is of a high standard.
We would certainly stay again should we come to Harrogate again.

Stayed July 2014
Brian v, General Manager at Hotel du Vin and Bistro, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear Benno401,

fantastic to read you had a great stay with us. We hope to see you soon.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

This hotel is going down the slippery slope where its dining and hospitality is concerned. The service is worse than dire outside in the courtyard. As a regular, I have hoped each time that I am imagining how dreadful it is and that it might just be better.

Beautiful outside area, great rose wine and a good menu, but does anyone really care about the customer? It's exactly the same at the bar. Don't even get me going on the toilets in the public area..

I give up!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank fartyk
Dear Fartyk,

thank you for your recent review, I not your dissatisfaction and hope next time you visit to ask for myself or my deputy Darren Kaslow who will be happy to listen and address your comments.

Hope to see you in the near future.

Regards,

Peterborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

We had a studio which was great (although not for mobility impaired) the bistro though was a disappointment, it was late on Sunday so much of the menu was unavailable.

What we ordered was unimpressive for the cost. I have to say this is the fourth HdV I have stayed in and the same is true every time.

Stayed June 2014
Dear plc1976,

thank you for your review, I am sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your stay at our property. If I may ask you to give myself a call next time you are planning to visit so I may oversee your booking personnaly and hopefully apologise in person when you return.

With kind regards,