“Happy Birthday to me” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel du Vin and Bistro
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
“Happy Birthday to me”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed over and had dinner in the restaurant.
Very good.
The bread was fantastic.
Simon in the restaurant was brilliant.
Our room was at the front so had a brilliant view.
All very good and will will be back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed mid week on a Winter Sparkle deal- a double room and two courses each from the prix fixe menu for £109. I've reviewed the food separately but I'd rather they included breakfast (which was good) rather than the dinner ( which wasn't). I'd read the reviews which mentioned the noise in the rooms so we specifically asked to not be over the bar. They obliged and gave us a room on the second floor. It was called Meerlust and was fine. A nice, comfortable king size bed, great bedding, good lighting, quiet and clean. I don't think there we any issues with cleanliness and I certainly didn't spot any of the thick dust that other reviewers have mentioned. The bathroom was, again, fine. Rain drop shower over the bath. Would have been better without the forlorn, empty shower gel bottle holder affixed to the wall . I'm being a bit picky now! I'm quite short sighted so struggled to see into the mirror which was over the sink and quite far away from me. There was a separate shaving mirror but it was positioned between the sink and the toilet where there wasn't really room to stand. The public areas are maybe a tiny bit worn. The wooden floors in particular look like they need sanding and re-varnishing as there are obvious signs of wear in the high-traffic areas. But I wouldn't say it was shabby really. The breakfast was nice- delicious fresh fruit and pastries, good variety of cooked options. Tasty freshly squeezed orange juice. The coffee came in cafetieres and was fine but it's never hot enough for me. They did bring some hot milk when we asked for it. The option of a latte or cappuccino wouldn't go a-miss! The service was fine and the location of the hotel is really great. I'd go again but would just do bed and breakfast and have my dinner at van Zeller's!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

My partner and I booked this hotel for a weekend away to use the Turkish bath just down the road from here. I am please to say that the staff where very helpful and made our stay a joy.

The room was wonderful, clean and very well equipped. Noise free!

There was one or two things that did not run as smoothly as we would have hopped, however the hotel staff where quick to rectify this with no upset to our stay. We had booked a 2 night stay with meal and wine included, unfortunately when eating in the hotel the wine was not given to us for our meal on the first night. We simply and hassle free spoke to the receptionist who quickly and painlessly cleared this up and sent the bottle of chilled wine to our room for us. The next night this was sorted again and we enjoyed the wine with out meal.

Both check in and check out where quick painless and hustle free. There was some nuts put on our mini bar bill which we did not have, but they where quickly removed and with out any hassle or argument.

The only thing that I could complain about was I personally was not comfortable in the bed. It was two single beds pushed together to make a king. This would not have bother me normally however one bed was slightly higher than the other. I must say this did not spoil my stay although I did not have then best sleep. My partner however was fine with this so I would say it is personal preference.

Again I would like to say this was a lovely hotel. I would come back tomorrow and in our next visit to harrogate I would definitely stay here again.

Thank you to all at the hotel for a lovely weekend.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Simon R
Jersey, CI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

My dad who lives in Harrigate had a heart attack and was bring looked after at the district hospital. We needed a hotel fast and given we have been to the one in Henley knew roughly what to expect. Parking was available too at 10 pounds for 24 hours. We have a a big range rover and the space in front of the hotel was big enough in response to the recent bad review regarding the size. We are in the restaurant and the food was of the same standard we expected. Overall, despite the circumstances, this hotel is great. When we come back for a more pleasurable weekend I wouldn't think twice in staying again. Recommended. Ps. It's literally to the right of Betty's on the edge of town.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Skabenga
Manchester, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We had a lovely room, but there was a lot of street noise which disrupted our sleep. There is no double glazing, and there was a strong (cold!) draught through the window in our bathroom.

The restaurant is rather poor - I wasn't impressed with the quality of the meat, and the restaurant staff seemed rather preoccupied with doign stuff on their till rather than extending a warm welcome to guests entering the restaurant.

In summary, this is a lovely hotel, with sumptuous rooms - but very prone to noise. And the staff have drunk a little too much of their own kool-aid.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are exposed to street noise
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Oversetter
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

I had booked this trip for my Birthday for myself and my fiance to spend the night in Harrogate. I was very impressed with the reception area when I fist walked in to the hotel. It is very elegant and well designed with a warming atmosphere and friendly staff. The only initial problem was the £10 parking, but we soon got over that.

The room was very impressive. We had paid for a superior room and we were pleased with it. There were a few issues; the main one being the terrible smell that came from the en-suite. It was designed to be a wet room and the stench came from the large drain by the door. We had to keep the door shut as it was pretty foul. Another issue was the noise, of course the building is old and it is part of the charm, but being on the ground floor you could hear everything going on upstairs. I'm just glad we weren't underneath some very happy honeymooners.

The only other thing is the cleanliness. I was disappointed by the amount of dust on the furnature, for the money we had paid it wasn't what I had expected.

The breakfast was lovely, in a really nice dining area. The tables were spaced well and I thoughrally enjoyed eating there.

I would possibly stay at Du Vin again, it was well located and I enjoyed my weekend. Especially the fact that I got engaged there makes it that much more special.

Room Tip: I'd try and get a room on a higher level. I hear the loft ones are quite luxurious.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is the 3rd Hotel du Vin that I have visited and I love its location and it's the usual shabby chic of the brand that I love. We come to this chain for the elegance without the pomposity of other hotels and we can bring my small dogs & as ever they are made to feel very welcome too. We don't drink and our room was on the 2nd floor so we did not get disturbed by the bar or restaurant, so we had a quiet & relaxing stay. We can't comment on the Spa within the hotel as it was closed for Christmas so we didn't avail of its treatments. Lovely stay, thank you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple