“Great Location”

Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Great Location”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

The location of this HDV can't be faulted as it is near the heart of lovely Harrogate and has uninterrupted views of the public gardens opposite. The food and wine are as good as you would expect as is the service and surroundings in the public areas.

I did find the lounging areas a little less comfortable than other similar properties including other HDV's, and reception is a bit lacking - I know it's supposed to be slightly informal and boutiquey, but it just looked more haphazard and unimpressive. However, all in all a very nice place to stay and would happily return. In truth, I would give this a 5 out of 5, but I think you have to judge every hotel with what it is trying to be and what it is competing with in that regard and this HDV is just half a mark short of that - 4.5 would be my mark if it were possible.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Swindon
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Stayed in a double room with it's own entrance off the street. This was situated in the basement so there was some noise from people walking about above but can't say it particularly bothered me. Had the restaurant been busier I guess it could have been a bit of a pain. As the weather was fine I had no issues with walking along the pavement to the restaurant for dinner and breakfast the next day - I may have felt differently had it been hammering down.
The room itself was pure luxury, very large comfy bed, fantastic monsoon shower and generous toiletries. Totally loved the large role top bath in the bedroom - very indulgent!
Restaurant was great for both dinner and breakfast although service at dinner was a little slower than I would have liked even with the restaurant nearly empty.
All in all I would highly recommend this hotel for a touch of luxury but bearing in mind the situation of the basement rooms some people may want to avoid them.

Room Tip: Avoid basement rooms if you are likely to be disturbed by the sounds of people moving about above or...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding. To be fair to the hotel we were offered a discount of £30.00 and with breakfast included, as part of the wedding party. It would be a very expensive night usually, as the room booking does not include breakfast, which is charged at £15 per person! Also, there is limited parking at the hotel on a first come, first served basis. Hotel parking is very steep at £10 for 24 hours. There is a multi storey ten minutes walk away. The wedding food was excellent. The breakfast was OK, but very small, if we had paid £30 for it we would have felt ripped off. The bar is, very expensive. No ale on tap, just one German beer. One German beer and two glasses of wine a few pence off £20. The room was very small and dirty. There was thick dust and hairs on the skirting board in the bathroom. Very off putting. Apart from the location, I cannot think of a reason why I would stay here again unfortunately.

Room Tip: Inspect the room carefully for cleanliness and ask to be moved if not happy
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Oh dear! Here is a hotel which should be first rate..and sadly it isn't. First impressions were good as we drew up in the car. However, the green entrance door was dirty with chipped paint and the 2 signs were in need of a clean too. The reception desk was small and messy with dirty phones and computer keypad. There is a fine line between casual and indifferent behaviour of reception staff and our impression as the older generation was of the latter. Our room was large with a lovely view and the bed was wonderfully comfortable but the housekeeping was shoddy...dirty fingermarks on the paintwork generally and a half blocked lavatory on our arrival! (It was rectified quickly...) We were asked in a rather cryptic letter from the manager to avoid peak breakfast times if possible which we did as did everyone else so the dining room was crowded an hour earlier and the staff could not cope! The ingredients for breakfast were excellent but for some bizarre reason I was served 2 completely cold fried eggs TWICE. (Reception did not charge me.) The meals we had were really delicious. So much of this hotel was good but the standards need raising. It felt 'tired' and in need of a make over. If this were to happen we would recommend it wholeheartedly! As it is now, we would not return

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Me and my partener enjoyed our stay very much. Was a realxing time away. Amazing serivce right from check in . The Reception staff were very efficent and friendly. Food in the restruant was fantastic.
Loved the room ecpecially the monsoon shower and the nespresso machine in the bedroom was a lovley touch.
Will be returing in the future

• Stayed October 2012
cheshire
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We had been offered to come to a hotel du vin or a malmaison following a dreadful experience in the London Malmaison.
I will review the Mal seperately now as I had waited to go and have this complimentary stay before reviewing it.

When I tried to make contact with the Mal to arrange the stay they had offered me the manager had left then the next manager you were told to contact had left..Eventually I tracked somebody down who could help me.
We arrived at the hotel and it looked quite promising however there was a stain on the bedding that was pink and so I asked them to change it when we weren't there...
The bathroom was very smelly and made the whole room smell it was a wet room and I can only presume not very well aired / that they struggle to dry it in between guests.
I also found that things were very worn in the room. Chairs stained and rings on the bed side table also some fluff that I blew off.
Regarding the bedding when we came back late at night they had changed it (I think) but there was the duvet poking out on one side of the bed and it didn't look clean.
I went and spoke to the duty manager who said he would show me a couple of other rooms. These rooms had the throw and cushions on the bed. The cushions were stained and the throws had hair on them. I pulled back the duvet in one room and there were hairs in the bed!

I was shocked as we looked at about 3 rooms. The 3 rooms were also very large and nicer looking rooms than the one they had given us! For a brand trying to impress us and change our perception of them I was stunned to see the room we had been given compared to the other rooms I was shown.
As their were hairs in all of the beds / on the beds I decided we would have to stay in the room we had and put up with the dirty quilt.
The duty manager was lovely and very embarrassed but it should be the owners / directors of the chain that are embarrassed. This is the second bad experience with Du Vin/ Malmaison and I have no inclination to return to any of the hotels in these chains.

I doubt

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank luxuryliker28
Ringwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

No sleep in the basement!

If you plan on staying in Harrogate and would like to get a goods night sleep do not go to the Hotel Du Vin apparently the person booking my room about three months ago was warned the outside basement rooms can be noisy ,I was directly below the receptionist desk and I could hear the chair scraping the floor every time the person in it moved which they did nearly all night although it's the first time the manager Grant Lowe had heard of this problem although he's been there eighteen months and you can see from very recent reviews by other trip advisor travellers that this noise is a major cause of complaint.

I would like to know when a hotel room noise level deems it as unacceptable.
It seems Hotel Du Vin are happy to take your money everyday of the week for these rooms but don't think it's worth trying to sound proof them.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business