“Lovely place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
Ashby De La Zouch, United Kingdom
“Lovely place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our 2 night stay. The staff were courteous and helpful. Although a little shabby in places, the décor was tasteful. The room wasn't huge, but was comfortable, and had a great view; the en-suite was large enough, and the shower over the bath was adequate. Although using the breakfast buffet was a little tiresome, the food was excellent. We arrived early enough to benefit from one of the limited number of parking spaces. The location is ideal for exploring Harrogate on foot. We have stayed here before and would do so again.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front have great views. Some of the rooms at the back seem a little larger.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank goingplaces52
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you had a good stay again and that you felt looked after by the team. I certainly take on board regarding the buffet service and I thank you for providing a balance review of the Yorkshire. I do hope that you visit again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel.

Nick Henry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
Bolton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

We had a great view of Bettys Tearooms from our room on the front. Ideally situated in Harrogate on the one way system within walking distance of the shops and the historic section. The breakfast was great with lots of choice. There is also a lovely bar area with very pleasant staff for the evenings We enjoyed our 2 days stay at the hotel and would recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the front with great views of the Stray.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyed the service during your stay and that you felt looked after by the team. I appreciate your views of the property and I thank you for providing some balance and understanding in your review of the Yorkshire.
I do hope you choose to stay again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Scarborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

We haven't actually stayed at this hotel, and don't intend to now, but wanted to warn other unsuspecting people that they do not honour vouchers bought through various companies.

We had a voucher to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary next year. The same day as we received it we rang to make our reservation for a Tuesday and Wednesday evening next April and were told all the rooms were booked and we would have to pay for an upgraded room if we wished to stay those dates.

We have complained to Asda, the gift experience company in our case and asked for a full refund. We have also asked that this hotel be removed from their list of participating hotels, since clearly it does not honour the deal at he price advertised.

Very disappointing that any hotel would treat prospective customers in this way.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mrsmac990
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your non stay review of The Yorkshire Hotel, I was shocked by your comment relating to the voucher you have purchased and that you felt that you needed to post such comments. It is clear that you have not read the terms on conditions of this offer as stated by ASDA. All promotions of this style are subject to availability and that you also have over 8o hotels to choose from and numerous dates running in to next year I am sorry that we did not have availability on your chosen dates. I think that it is very unfair for you to have made the comments you have without recognising the terms under which you purchased the voucher?

Nick Henry

Travelers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

This grand old building fell well below expectations - things you would normally expect in a hotel of this standard simply weren’t there; working light bulbs, a 'Do not disturb' sign, TV remote control, hairdryer, reliable WiFi, in-room heating control ...
Breakfast was uninspiring and items missing as staff tried to keep pace with even a moderately busy dining room. Car parking – with 35 spaces was scarce and not possible to reserve.
Next time I’ll try somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank smsfirecracker
I thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on the tripadvisor website .I am sorry that your stay not an entire success for which I can only apologise. I was however surprised to read that you had so many items missing from your room. To my knowledge we do generally have working light bulbs, 'Do not disturb' signs, TV remote controls, hairdryers, reliable WiFi, in-room heating controls. I am at a loss as to why you were missing all of the above.
Quite frankly if the room you describe was to have been found by a guest I would have been appalled and expected nothing less than this to be reported. After an investigation with my Duty Management team it is regrettable that your disappointment does not appear to have been highlighted or addressed by the Duty Manager visiting your room. I wish to assure you that if the Duty Manager had been made aware they would have endeavoured to provide an alternative room or at the very least rectify the problems.
It is only through comments such as those you have made that we are able to improve our standard and service.
Thank you once again for your feedback
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

The staff were all really nice and friendly from the moment we checked in. While checking in a local nutter came in to the hotel and shouted at the reception staff for the way the cars were parked outside the hotel. They dealt with it really well and were far more patient that i would have been!

The room we had was spacious and clean but decoration was poor and our sink had a large crack in it, not really what you would expect when it is not the cheapest hotel in Harrogate. Breakfast is a little shambolic but the food was tasty and again the staff were very good. If they were to freshen the rooms i would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on the tripadvisor website .I am sorry that your stay not an entire success for which I can only apologise. The problems you have experienced within the hotel, have been now been brought to my attention and where possible will be addressed.
I was pleased to read that despite any shortfalls with the product you found the service received by the team to be of a high standard.
It is only through comments such as those you have made that we are able to improve our standard and service I do hope you choose to stay in the future.
Thank you once again for your feedback.

Tyne & Wear
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

When we arrived at the hotel we were lucky to get a parking space- it is very limited. As it was only 11am it came as no suprise that the room was not ready, however our luggage was stored and we were asked to return later in the day.

It became apparent very quickly why the hotel would receive a good score. As you turn the corner you are on one of the main shopping streets of the town.

The purpose of the visit was shopping, lunch, drinks and dinner with a visit to the turkish baths the following morning. We were never more than a 5 minute walk back to the hotel- perfect!

The hotel itself is very nice on the ground floor. We had room 308 which had a lovely view from the front of the hotel. The room was small (with an oversized bathroom) but the decor and fittings could be so much better. I must also note that the walls between rooms are very thin.

We pre-booked breakfast for £7 each which was adequate and freshly cooked.

Overall it was a pleasant stay- very convenient for the purpose of our stay and I would stay again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you had a pleasant stay with us. I certainly take on board some of the other feed-back you have given and I thank you for providing a balance review of the Yorkshire.
I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Harpenden, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights and would return again. The hotel is centrally placed and has adequate carparking facilities. The clean and tastefully decorated room was front facing on the 4th floor with great views over The Stray and beyond. Breakfast is good value and the staff are helpful and friendly. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting good value accommodation in a central location.

Room Tip: 3rd or 4th floor front facing rooms will guarantee great views.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that overall you had enjoyed your stay with us. The 4th floor does indeed have some great views.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.