“Good intent, poor execution, wifi issues”

The Yorkshire Hotel
Ranked #20 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stayed in room 410. There was noise from the function room in the 5th floor (a wedding was on) is quite intrusive and went on until at least 0030 - you can hear not only music, but feet as people thump around, and kids run up and down - fortunately I sleep well. Breakfast is OK. The staff are friendly but not terribly effective. It's one of these places where the wifi has a password, and it changes at some point over the weekend. So you have to phone down to get it - unless your phone is broken (which mine was) so you have to ring down to reception on your mobile. Then sometimes the wifi drops out altogether and doesn't work at all.. And although i got it working on my my laptop I never got it working with my phone. And it took three attempts to get my phone changed - and when it was changed, the cord was so short that I couldn't dial it from the bed. I would suggest that people are given the wifi code when they check in, and that when someone is asked to fix the phone, they do so. Otherise the decor is tired, but the place is functional and the rooms are clean and the staff are friendly.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 4th floor - you'll get the noise from the function rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

I thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on the trip advisor website .I am sorry that your stay was not a success for which I can only apologise. I am also sorry that our Free Wi-Fi was not working on some of your devices this is unusual, each device requires a different code and codes are routinely offered on check in and for as many devices as you want.
I thank you for highlighting the fact that the majority of staff provided friendly service. I was however surprised that you felt we were not effective? I am aware that the phone was not working in your room and hence why I came to change it, unfortunately you were in the shower and informed me to come back in 1 hour I did return, however I was unable to gain access .The phone was replaced by a member of the team the following day I am sorry this did not occur in a timely fashion. I admit having reviewed the phone the cord was rather short yet worked effectively none the less.
It is only through comments such as those you have made that we are able to improve our standard and service.
Thank you once again for your feedback

Nick Henry

Write a ReviewReviews (1,877)

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed at the Yorkshire Hotel for two nights in September. We found our room to be a good size and had what you would expect to be provided with - Tv, tea making facilities, wardrobe with hangers. We were a little disappointed with the view, having nothing more than a backstreet to look at and as our room overlooked John Street, the noise at night could get quite bad, until the bars shut - just something to bear in mind if you want to get an early night. The view from the front-rooms of the hotel must be very nice indeed as it overlooks a park area (so make sure to ask for a front facing room, you'll also avoid the noise).

The staff were very friendly and helpful. I requested an iron to be brought up to the room (one of the services the hotel provides) and although I had to wait a little longer than expected, with one call to reception the iron was delivered promptly with many apologises for my wait.

Breakfast the next morning was a good spread! A mix of hot and cold breakfast options, bacon, sausages etc, fruit, cereals, cheeses, breads, a coffee machine (coffee was a bit weak) and juices. We stayed with 'all you can eat' breakfast included, which we made very good use of. Breakfast ends at 10:30am which is handy if you've forgotten to set your alarm!

The hotels location is very central, literally across the road from the famous Betty's Cafe & Tearooms (get there early to avoid queuing), the Turkish Baths and 20 seconds walk to the main shopping area. So it's great for exploring Harrogate.

The hotel bar - 'Hg1 Bar & Brasserie' - has a warm/friendly atmosphere, it is open to the public during the day and evening being linked to John Street (at the back of the hotel) which is one of Harrogate's most popular pedestrian streets, full of eateries and shops. Friday night is two for one cocktails at £6.50 a pop (correct at time of writing) so make sure to check it out.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms for excellent views and avoid noise from John Street
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you had a good stay with us. I certainly take on board your comments relating to our location as this is one of our greatest or worst assets depending to your point of view. I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyed the service during your stay and that you felt looked after by the team.
Thank you once again for your feedback

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights using a 'Deal Monster' offer. This place is slap bang in the middle of town, but is more than ready for a re-furb, our room and the comunal areas were tatty but clean enough. Buffet breakfast could have been hotter. However, the staff were brill! Would we stay there again? possibly, but only on some sort of offer. A big plus was being able to park our car right ouside the hotel F.O.C.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 110,416

Thank you for your honest feedback on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that you did enjoy some aspects of your stay with us.It gives me particular pleasure to read comments about the team as they are our greatest asset.
I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed at the Yorkshire for two nights in early September, and first impressions were a little disappointing, The bedroom was adequate and clean but a bit dated.
. Our breakfast (full English) came with a wonderful selection to choose from in addition to all the usual cereals, juices etc. Dinner came with the same quality and choices and all our meals were most enjoyable. Our experience at the Yorkshire was topped off with service that could not have been bettered, this came from smiling pleasant and accommodating staff, who could not do enough to please. All the points mentioned added up to a very enjoyable stay and we will be returning.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mike R

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website.
I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us; it is always great to read comments such as yours and hopefully dispels some of the negative comments we receive.
It always gives me great pleasure to read comments about the team as they are our greatest asset.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Typical 3 star hotel. Clean with friendly staff.

Good location.

Bar area was nice but did not sell any edibles like crisis or nuts.

No atmosphere in the lounge area.

Old hotel, free parking.

Prob would go back and stay for 1 night due to its location but not a hotel I would like to stay in for longer than 1 night.

There wasn't anything wrong with the hotel however if you have a back facing room on a weekend night I believe it would be very noisy as it looks right down onto bars and restaurants. I stayed on a Monday night and it was quite noisy, with the bars bottle bins getting emptied in the morning.

• Stayed: September 2013

I thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on the tripadvisor website .I am sorry that you felt your stay not an entire success for which I can only apologise.I certainly take on board some of the other feed-back you have given thank you for providing a review of the Yorkshire.It is worth noting we do offer a range of bar bites from our menu on a daily basis.
I do hope that the negatives aspects of your stay deter you from visiting again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

stayed at the yorkshire for one night,
the bed was comfy,the room clean although a little tired, the bathroom could really do with an uprade as the tiled floor had grout missing,
the room was spacious,
the breakfast was self service which was a little dissapointing the beans and scrambled egg had dried out ,it wasnt an unpleasant stay but for what it cost it should have been a lot better

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank craig m

I thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on the Tripadvisor website. I am sorry that your stay was not a success, for which I can only apologise. I am sorry that you felt the room showed signs of wear and I admit some of our product is in need of updating. I was however surprised and disappointed by your comments relating to breakfast in particular the lack of quality we do always try to replenish items ASAP I am sorry that on this occasion we have not.
I do hope that this does not deter you from returning as I would very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

The rooms are large but sparse. They are so uninviting, there is nothing in them!

This was only the second thing that struck me though upon entering the room, as they bed looked HORRENDOUS - see picture. It basically was 2 singles pushed together, both of which were completely sunken in the middle. They did not make for a comfortable nights sleep.

The bathroom was ok, though was not clean with hairs in the shower / bath and toothpaste left on the sink.

Locks on doors do not at all feel secure. As a female staying alone, this is never a reassuring thing.

Location is the single redeeming feature of this hotel, as the rest of it was pretty shocking really. I would rather stay at the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Bobs_head

Thank you for your comments on the tripadvisor website. We always try to offer the best value for money for a 3 star property and thus do not compete with the Holiday Inn on price or standard. It is always disappointing to read that someone has not enjoyed their stay for which I am genuinely sorry. After an investigation with my Duty Management team it is regrettable that your disappointment does not appear to have been highlighted or addressed by the Duty Manager visiting your room. I wish to assure you that if the Duty Manager had been made aware they would have endeavoured to provide an alternative room .