“Average 3 star”

The Yorkshire Hotel
Ranked #21 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Typical 3 star hotel. Clean with friendly staff.

Good location.

Bar area was nice but did not sell any edibles like crisis or nuts.

No atmosphere in the lounge area.

Old hotel, free parking.

Prob would go back and stay for 1 night due to its location but not a hotel I would like to stay in for longer than 1 night.

There wasn't anything wrong with the hotel however if you have a back facing room on a weekend night I believe it would be very noisy as it looks right down onto bars and restaurants. I stayed on a Monday night and it was quite noisy, with the bars bottle bins getting emptied in the morning.

• Stayed: September 2013
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

I thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on the tripadvisor website .I am sorry that you felt your stay not an entire success for which I can only apologise.I certainly take on board some of the other feed-back you have given thank you for providing a review of the Yorkshire.It is worth noting we do offer a range of bar bites from our menu on a daily basis.
I do hope that the negatives aspects of your stay deter you from visiting again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

stayed at the yorkshire for one night,
the bed was comfy,the room clean although a little tired, the bathroom could really do with an uprade as the tiled floor had grout missing,
the room was spacious,
the breakfast was self service which was a little dissapointing the beans and scrambled egg had dried out ,it wasnt an unpleasant stay but for what it cost it should have been a lot better

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank craig m

I thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on the Tripadvisor website. I am sorry that your stay was not a success, for which I can only apologise. I am sorry that you felt the room showed signs of wear and I admit some of our product is in need of updating. I was however surprised and disappointed by your comments relating to breakfast in particular the lack of quality we do always try to replenish items ASAP I am sorry that on this occasion we have not.
I do hope that this does not deter you from returning as I would very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

The rooms are large but sparse. They are so uninviting, there is nothing in them!

This was only the second thing that struck me though upon entering the room, as they bed looked HORRENDOUS - see picture. It basically was 2 singles pushed together, both of which were completely sunken in the middle. They did not make for a comfortable nights sleep.

The bathroom was ok, though was not clean with hairs in the shower / bath and toothpaste left on the sink.

Locks on doors do not at all feel secure. As a female staying alone, this is never a reassuring thing.

Location is the single redeeming feature of this hotel, as the rest of it was pretty shocking really. I would rather stay at the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Bobs_head

Thank you for your comments on the tripadvisor website. We always try to offer the best value for money for a 3 star property and thus do not compete with the Holiday Inn on price or standard. It is always disappointing to read that someone has not enjoyed their stay for which I am genuinely sorry. After an investigation with my Duty Management team it is regrettable that your disappointment does not appear to have been highlighted or addressed by the Duty Manager visiting your room. I wish to assure you that if the Duty Manager had been made aware they would have endeavoured to provide an alternative room .

Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in Room 101 (checking out tomorrow) was slightly worried due to negative reviews on Tripadvisor. Had nothing to worry about, upgraded to a fabulous room. Only complaint would be the windows in our were FILTHY & such a shame when the views over the Stray were so amazing. Can't wait to come back !! Thank you very much

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that overall you had enjoyed your stay with us. We will certainly look at cleaning the windows in 101 which are easily accessible others unfortunately are not. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Had a great party in the excellent Roof Tops function room. Great room with separate lounge and bar area. Take a camera for the views across the Harrogate skyline. We also stayed overnight, bed and breakfast was excellent.
The experience made al the better by all the staff being available and attentive, and actually seemed as though they enjoyed their jobs, all friendly smiling and helpful.
No problem in recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 501 very nice suite but no view. If staying in summer, you may want to get a front facing room...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that overall you had enjoyed your stay and function with us. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

This hotel is lovely. The room we stayed in had a huge bed, lots of space, a sofa, a clean and sparkling en-suite and the hotel had character.
I would definitely stay here again.
The location is brilliant.
The receptionist was lovely also.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that overall you had enjoyed your stay with us. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We booked for two nights and were a bit cautious because of some of the reviews, glad I ignored them. We had a perfectly good room with lovely views of the park and town, our room had obviously been refurbished and me being a building surveyor I noticed that if only they had stripped the paint and stained it like it would have been when 1st built, but I do understand. The hotel would have been purpose built for Harrogate and obviously with its age comes its refurbishment, the management can only refurbish parts as maintenance budgets allow, and to totally refurbish the hotel would cost tens of millions. Some areas of the hotel do need a bit of attention like some of the carpets in the corridors are a bit shabby, and the air fresheners are pretty potent ( I would change that smell in use, for a more pleasant one immediately) Please keep an open mind this Hotel is probably a listed building or in a conservation area, so only permitted development can take place.
All of the staff were really friendly and very helpful, the bar at night was lovely and cosy and breakfast was good with plenty of selection. Breakfast is full buffet so you even have to go and fetch your own coffee; stocks are checked often, and refilled so we were never short of any hot food. We got a free parking space too which was a bonus. But other than that we thought it was a great break and great value, right in the centre of beautiful Harrogate. We would have no hesitation in returning.

Room Tip: In winter choose a room with less windows for less draughts
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyed the service during your stay and that you felt looked after by the team. I appreciate your incite in to the property and I thank you for providing some balance and understanding in your review of the Yorkshire. I do hope that these points do not deter you from visiting again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.