“A Tired Hotel”

The Yorkshire Hotel
Ranked #20 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed at the Yorkshire Hotel for two nights in mid-August 2013 in room 406.

First impressions were good – the Reception Area was reasonably modern and the check-in was efficient.

The two lifts were quite old and gave a bumpy ride – especially when the lifts stopped. In the smaller lift there was no indication to show which floor we were at.

The room was a reasonable size, but the furnishings were old and the varnish on the top of the surfaces had vanished. It is obviously an old building and the floor creaked. All the equipment (TV, hair-drier and kettle) worked satisfactorily. Even though the room was at the front of the hotel it was quiet. There was no safe in the room.

The twin beds were old and not very comfortable, but the main complaint was that they made considerable noise (squeaks and creaks) whatever movement was made in the beds. This actually made it difficult to sleep because the noise of the beds kept us awake.

The bathroom was huge – almost the same size as the bedroom, but was very poorly equipped. There were no shelves anywhere to store personal toiletries. Similarly there was only one towel rail – the heated rail. There should (at least) be a towel rail (or ring) adjacent to the sink. When washing hands or face we had to walk a fair distance to the towel rail to dry ourselves. (It would be a very simple matter to install some shelves and additional towel rails.) The towels were a reasonable size – but on the thin side.

We had a B&B deal and the breakfast was served in the Restaurant. This had obviously been modernized and was a very nice room. The breakfast was good – the usual buffet of bacon/sausages etc. It was possible to order eggs separately (poached / fried etc) and these were freshly cooked. It was strange, however, that the buffet and coffee-making facilities were in the corridor outside the Restaurant.

The location was the main advantage of the hotel – right in the middle of Harrogate and just across the road from Betty’s – a visit is compulsory when in Harrogate.

There is parking at the front of the hotel for 30 cars. On our second night we were late back and all the spaces were taken. We had to park on the road outside – which was free up to 08:00am the following morning. (Beware the Traffic Wardens are out and about at 08:00.) The plan in this situation is to move your car at about 07:50 – usually some guests have left by then.

Would we stay again? – yes for the location – but not in room 406.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website.I am sorry that you were unhappy with the room you were allocated.
I have stated previously that we do only have limited car parking and is on a first come first served basis. It is however worth stating for other readers that there is no need to rush down at 8am to feed a meter as you can in fact purchase a ticket from the machines the evening before that starts from 8am. It is also worth noting that car parking on meter is free from 6pm on a Saturday night and all day Sunday.( as at 5th Septmber 2013 please check )
I do take on board your comments relating to aspects of your room, breakfast and the hotel in general. It is only through comments such as yours that we are able to improve our standards and service.
I do hope you choose to stay at the Yorkshire in the future as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Nick Henry

Write a ReviewReviews (1,875)

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights B & B on a promotional offer which proved terrific value.
The hotel is superbly located in the centre of Harrogate. The car park is fairly large, but inadequate if the hotel is busy, which it was, and both days we had to resort to street parking overnight. There was no problem getting a space nearby, but obviously there was a cost involved. Our room (303) was spacious and was at the front and had a large comfortable bed and a sofa which could have converted to a bed. The bathroom was modern with a shower and bath. Decor overall was very good. There was an excellent choice at breakfast, primarily buffet, though kippers/haddock and eggs (other than scrambled) were cooked to order.
My only gripe was that I ordered an early call at 8.15 but it arrived at 3.15! Maybe my writing was not totally clear, but I would have thought an astute receptionist would have double-checked as there cannot be many guests on a 2 night stay who want to rise at 3.15 the first morning! To make matters worse, I did point the error out to reception and was promised it would be changed, but still we received a call at 3.15 on night 2.
This, however, hardly detracted from what was an excellent break.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mikebutler46

Thank you so much for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read how much you had enjoyed your break with us. As a hotel general manager it is always great to read a good honest review but it even better to read one that is complimentary, fair and helpful I thank you.
I do take on board your comments relating to the early morning call and it would seem that we did in fact have an issue with our switch board. It is only through comments such as yours that we are able to improve our standards and service.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

I have just stayed at The Yorkshire Hotel and was extremely disappointed. The outside of the hotel is lovely as is the reception/bar/restaurant but just wish it was the same standard for the bedrooms!! Very old and tatty and not that clean!! Not a double bed...just two beds put together. We booked a few rooms and all were of a similar standard and we ended up with rooms and different levels. I did ask if we could all be together only to be told that they were full and this was not possible!! The hallways were also extremely tatty with stains all over the carpet. Very depressing!! However on a positive note the breakfast was lovely and the staff friendly. It is a shame because this could be a fabulous hotel if updated!!

1  Thank hillsusan

Thank you for your comments on the tripadvisor website. We offer a wide variety of room types and standard and we always try to offer the best value for money we do try and honour most requests but its not always possible.
I also note your comments relating to breakfast and I do thank you for providing an honest and balanced review.
It is always disappointing to read that someone has not enjoyed their stay for which I am genuinely sorry.
It is only through comments such as those you have made that we are able to improve our standard and service.
Thank you once again for your feedback

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We visited Harrogate for the day and had lunch here at the HG1 Brasserie. We were really pleased. Four of us went. 3 chose the 'The All Day Breakfast' while I went for the the Beefburger with caramelised onion and cheese complete with Rustic Chips. As we had travelled over from Liverpool early that morning we were ready for lunch. It was delicious,generous sized portions, served piping hot, without delay. This set us up for a days sight-seeing. What a beautiful place Harrogate is! Something for everyone.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your honest feedback on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you had enjoyed your lunch relating to HG1 bar I must admit the Burgers are great.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Our friends got married here with reception in the rooftop rooms. We stayed 3 nights and everyone of the staff were helpful. We stayed on 4th floor and the only downside of our stay was the street cleaner going round at 6am each morning (nothing to do with hotel). I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013

I was delighted to read that overall you had enjoyed your stay with us in particular your comments relating to the team and the level of cleanliness.
I take on board your comments relating to the street cleaner sorry.
I do hope you choose to stay again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Booked a 2 day visit first night was brilliant but on second on second night realised I had been robbed from the bar when contacted reception although there security cameras look real they're not and all they can say is they're just for show great security & peace of mind for your guests that are paying well over for the price that you's are charging

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for your recent comments I was sorry I have not responded sooner but I have been on leave. I was of course sorry to read that your stay was not an entire success. It was very regrettable to read about the incident you describe. I understand that your allegation was raised and addressed by the Operations Manager and I am further led to believe that the only persons that could have been involved in the alleged theft were those in your company as no one else was in the bar at the time. I am sorry that we were unable to provide CCTV footage however I wish to assure that we would of course co-operated with any Police investigation.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

When we first arrived we were very surprised and mesmerised by the grand look and feel of the hotel. We managed to get on site parking as we arrived 2 hours before checkin and there was ample parking. Due to its convenient location we easily based the time before we could checkin.

On check in the receptionist was very helpful and pleasant, giving us all the information we needed. We paid for an executive room, which given the condition of our room I dread to think what a standard room is like. Our room was 505, which I wouldn't recommend as it is right opposite the elevator which is in constant use day and night and can be heard clearly in the room. The furniture in our room was warped, scratched and in a poor state. The wallpaper was peeling in places and ripped. The bathroom was fairly basic and are shower was little more than a dribble. The good points of our room was the beds were very comfortable and our view was beautiful. If they just spent a little money touching the place up it could be fantastic.

On our first night we had dinner in the hotel restaurant which was lovely, reasonable and the service was next to none. The only issue we had was our drinks never came and took a bit of chasing up but this was all fixed. The food was lovely and I would defiantly eat in the hotel restaurant again.

Overall, this hotel could be incredible it just needs a complete refurbishment, as the staff and food are fantastic it is a shame the deco lets it down

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I am sorry that you were unhappy with the room you were allocated. To be clear for other readers as a hotel in the 3 Star price range we offer a wide variety of room types including singles, standard doubles, execs , suites, rooms with lounges etc. and we always try to offer the best value for money. Room 505 is an extremely popular room which is almost constantley in use. This is due to its panoramic view as it was part of the properties original observatory. I admit some of our product is in need of updating and we are currently working through a redecoration programme this room was redecorated in the last year and admitably due to its high demand it needs some more work on cosmetic areas such as edges of furniture as highlighted in your photography.
After an investigation with my Duty Management team it is regrettable that your disappointment does not appear to have been highlighted or addressed by the Duty Manager visiting your room. I wish to assure you that if the Duty Manager had been made aware they would have endeavoured to provide an alternative room.
Thank you once again for your feedback and opinions.