“A warm welcome”

The Yorkshire Hotel
Ranked #21 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Having read some of the reviews on here, I am wondering if I was at the same hotel. I paid £55 for a single room and bed and breakfast via Superbreak and was more than satisfied. I do agree that the frontage and public rooms are of a slightly higher standard than the bedrooms, but my room was well equipped and of a good size. The mattress did seem slightly uncomfortable at first, but I struggled to leave the bed in the morning, so it couldn't have been too bad! The tea and coffee supplies were of average quantity but I am sure that I could have asked for more.

The bathroom was spotless, and heating was adequate, although I wasn't there for the coldest weather.

Check in was friendly and professional, and particularly helpful re the parking arrangements. I paid for 1 hour on the roadside but luckily a hotel space came free quite quickly.

I did not dine in the brasserie but the menu looked reasonably priced for a Harrogate hotel and would consider it in future. There wasn't a large choice in the breakfast buffet (although you could order extra items) but what was there was of good quality, and once again the service was friendly and proficient.

The hotel is in an excellent position. Minor gripes were the dated looking corridors, lack of signage to the stairs on Floor 1 (I didn't have to wait for the sole lift very often), and a shampoo dispenser that was virtually empty causing it to dismantle under pressure, but these were minor issues, and I would certainly return, and making a booking to eat too.

Room Tip: Request one facing The Stray
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website.
I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us; it is always great to read comments such as yours but I certainly take on board some of the other feed-back you have given thank you for providing a balance review of the Yorkshire.
As always it gives me great pleasure to read comments about the team as they are our greatest asset

There are newer reviews for The Yorkshire Hotel

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Harrogate never disappoints, but unfortunately the Yorkshire Hotel did, We travelled by train on this occasion and decided a centre of town hotel would be best, The hotel is wonderfully placed and the staff were very friendly and welcoming. Unfortunately the good news ended there, The corridors are woeful, dirty carpets, lift out of order, shabby decoration. Our room (facing inwards) was cold and uncomfortable. Very thin duvet, uncomfortable mattress and lumpy pillows. The furniture was very shabby indeed and the whole room was very unwelcoming. No central heating, just an electric radiator in the corner which was unable to cope the with Yorkshire spring weather. Relatively cheap at £58 a night, room only, but it really wasn't a nice experience. We have stayed at much better Harrogate hotels for approximately the same price. Sorry, we don;t make these comments lightly, but they are an accurate reflection of our short stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

I thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on the Tripadvisor website. I am sorry that your stay was not a success, for which I can only apologise. I am sorry that you felt the room showed signs of wear and I admit some of our product is in need of updating. We however would have been more than happy to provided additional pillows and duvet of a higher tog rating if you had made us aware of your dissatisfaction. It would seem that the room itself was not sufficiently warm enough, I think the particularly cold weather and freak snow for the time of year did play its part during your stay.
I can only imagine that the comment relating to the 'woeful, dirty carpets' is in fact the herringbone design pile of the carpet which has becomes flatten immediately in the main walk ways so that when you look down the corridors the appearance of dark and light area are extremely visible and could be mistaken for staining .I wish to assure you that although signs of wear are apparent I have the corridor carpets cleaned on a regular basis.
It is always disappointing to read that someone has not enjoyed their stay for which I am genuinely sorry. It therefore would have been great to have received your view first hand. Unfortunately you chose not to provide any feedback on departure.
Thank you once again for your feedback

Reviewed March 25, 2013

we stayed for two nights with a 2 for 1 offer. First impression was it was a very impressive hotel from the outside, fantastic location and free parking. We were kindly greeted by the receptionist but then it went slightly downhill. There was only one small lift working so it was either wait a long while or attempt the flight of stairs (which was like a maze by the way ).
Our first impression of the room was not bad although there were some cracks on the wall that had been painted over, slight mould on bathtiles and the room was cold despite the heating being put on full. Also the floors were really creaky so you could hear guests walking by your room and the walls so thin, I could hear the couple next door chatting away.
The breakfast buffet was good with plenty to choose and the staff are happy to meet your every needs. I don't know if I would pay full price next time as the rooms need alot of tlc and updating but it is in a excellant location with shops & restaurants nearby.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

I thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on the tripadvisor website .I am sorry that your stay not an entire success for which I can only apologise.
Clearly the room you were allocated was sub -standard and that you identified several general maintenance and housekeeping issues and I thank you for bringing these to my attention.
It was pleasing however to read how much you had enjoyed your breakfast experience and that you felt looked after by the team.
The problems you have experienced within the hotel, have been now been brought to my attention and where possible will be addressed.
I do hope that the negative aspects of your stay will not deter you from visiting again.It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed here as my fiance and i were attending a friends wedding at another Harrogate hotel and we really wish we had stayed there instead. The whole hotel needs updating, the stairs, the corridoors and the rooms all need a re-vamp and desperatly. The room were were checked into was freezing cold despite the heating on full blast. The springs in the bed had almost all gone and you could visually see it dipping in the middle when standing next to it. We were moved to a better room but still not great, very small for the price (you get a bigger room in a travelodge). Very poor tea and coffee making facilites (the coffee wasnt even nescafe) We paid £145 for 2 nights and for that i would expect a lot more. Never in a million years is this hotel worth the price.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments on the tripadvisor website. We offer a wide variety of room types and standard and we always try to offer the best value for money . It is always disappointing to read that someone has not enjoyed their stay for which I am genuinely sorry . It is only through comments such as those you have made that we are able to improve our standard and service.
Thank you once again for your feedback

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed here for one night. Hotel is in an unbeatable location with shops, restaurants and Bettys tea room on the doorstep.Managed to get one of the free parking spaces just outside of the hotel. Side street with 3 or 4 restaurants and bars just behind the hotel. After reading previous reviews I requested a quiet room and this was accomodated. The main public areas of the hotel were very smart and nicely decorated. Our room was extremelly clean with comfy beds and large bathroom. The only down side that I could see was the hallways upstairs which were a little bit in need of an update. Not that they werent clean and tidy, just a bit sparse and unloved, maybe some pictures on the walls would improve this. It was nothing that detracted from our stay and I was more than happy with our room. The hotel staff were really good, couldnt be more helpful. Our stay was in bad weather and upon departure staff checked the internet to see if our route home was clear. The breakfast was also of a really good standard. In short, perfect location, great hotel, would definately go back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you had a great stay with us and how much you had enjoyed your dining experience and that you felt looked after by the team. I certainly take on board your comments relating to the corridors floors and admit floors 2,3 and 4 are sparse in decoration I was pleased to read that despite your comments the level of cleanliness was to standard .
I do hope that this will not deter you from visiting again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I've read some of the previous reviews and agree with some parts of most of them. It was nice to see the response from the manager and it's pleasing to know that the hotel is being gradually upgraded.
We stayed for 2 nights using a voucher so it was always going to be decent value. We use the dine in option and both my wife and I agreed that the quality of food was possibly some of the highest we have ever had. The buffet breakfasts were brilliant and, although I have been to places where there is more choice, the quality was again fantastic.
All the staff were very friendly and helpful and did their best to make sure our stay was enjoyable.
We were in room 306 and asked for an extra heater which was soon delivered. Unfortunately this did not warm up the very large bathroom which only has a heated towel rail, so we were pretty cold after a shower.
The room is in need of some TLC but it did not spoil our stay - we will definitely return!!

Room Tip: Ask if there is one that has been upgraded
1  Thank smithyYork

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. Your honest feedback is certainly welcomed. I admit some of our product is in need of updating and hence why we working through a redecoration programme.I was delighted to read that overall you had a great stay with us. In particular how much you had enjoyed your dining experience and I was extremely pleased to read that you felt looked after by the team they are our very best asset.
I do hope you consider using The Yorkshire again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

The Yorkshire Hotel is perfectly located to the centre of Harrogate. The staff were very helpful and friendly. What would have once been a very grand hotel though is sadly in desperate need of renovation. It's very tired and needs a good facelift. I hope it happens because it could be a stunning venue.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you had a good stay with us and how much you had enjoyed service provided by the team. I admit some of our product is in need of updating and we are currently working through a redecoration programme