2,085 results
All reviewsbetty's tea roomsold buildingfourth floora bit tiredcentral locationfantastic locationfire alarmup to datecentre of townlarge roombars and restaurantsevening mealbuffet styleshort breakplenty of choicea lovely staybed and breakfast
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I've read some of the previous reviews and agree with some parts of most of them. It was nice to see the response from the manager and it's pleasing to know that the hotel is being gradually upgraded.
We stayed for 2 nights using a voucher so it was always going to be decent value. We use the dine in option and both my wife and I agreed that the quality of food was possibly some of the highest we have ever had. The buffet breakfasts were brilliant and, although I have been to places where there is more choice, the quality was again fantastic.
All the staff were very friendly and helpful and did their best to make sure our stay was enjoyable.
We were in room 306 and asked for an extra heater which was soon delivered. Unfortunately this did not warm up the very large bathroom which only has a heated towel rail, so we were pretty cold after a shower.
The room is in need of some TLC but it did not spoil our stay - we will definitely return!!

Room Tip: Ask if there is one that has been upgraded
1  Thank smithyYork
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. Your honest feedback is certainly welcomed. I admit some of our product is in need of updating and hence why we working through a redecoration programme.I was delighted to read that overall you had a great stay with us. In particular how much you had enjoyed your dining experience and I was extremely pleased to read that you felt looked after by the team they are our very best asset.
I do hope you consider using The Yorkshire again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

The Yorkshire Hotel is perfectly located to the centre of Harrogate. The staff were very helpful and friendly. What would have once been a very grand hotel though is sadly in desperate need of renovation. It's very tired and needs a good facelift. I hope it happens because it could be a stunning venue.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you had a good stay with us and how much you had enjoyed service provided by the team. I admit some of our product is in need of updating and we are currently working through a redecoration programme
I do hope that this will not deter you from visiting again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

First, the positives: the staff were fantastic, the location is excellent, the car park is free, the hotel looks nice from the outside. After this I'm struggling to say anything else positive. This hotel is in need of substantial renovation as a matter of urgency: the public areas are reasonable, but our bedroom was awful (peeling wallpaper; dark even in the middle of the day with the light on; very creaky floorboards to the extent that we could hear the occupants of the room above us whenever they walked around; clear glass in the bathroom window so that we had to keep the - water damaged - blind shut when we used the bathroom; the room was heated by one very old electric radiator; we couldn't read at night as the lights were so dim; our room looked out onto the chimneys and extractor fans for the kitchen which were very noisy and in almost constant use; the corridors leading to the bedrooms were very dated; the one lift that did work was very old. My overiding impression is that this was once a very grand hotel that has seen better days - essentially it is far too big and the amount of money needing spent on it (not just a lick of paint, but the bedrooms and bathrooms need to be completly gutted, new floors need to be installed etc.) is so substantial that I suspect the hotel could never afford it. I notice that the general manager replies to most of the reviews and has on occasion said that if people ask to be moved they will. but my question is what on earth are you doing renting out such dowdy rooms in the first place - we paid £120 for one night and expect much more than this for that sort of money - you really ought to hang your heads in shame. Freinds of ours stayed the same night and thier view was pretty much well the same as ours.

1  Thank PAW72
yorkshiregm, Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

I thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on the Tripadvisor website. I am sorry that your stay was not a success, for which I can only apologise. First of all in response to your positive comments; I thank you for highlighting the fact that the service you received was fantastic. I am extremely proud of the team at the Yorkshire and for the level of service they provide despite any shortfalls in our product. I am sorry the room you were allocated showed signs of wear and I admit some of our product is in need of updating and we are currently working through a redecoration programme, I am sorry that in your opinion this is not sufficient. We do offer a wide variety of room types and standard and we always try to offer the best value for money for our property based on our location, facilities and availability.
Reviews are in themselves subjective and therefore one guest’s perception of value, service etc can somewhat vary, as highlighted in contrasting reviews during the same period of your stay a “lovely stay” and “Lovely room and great value break.” It is always disappointing to read that someone has not enjoyed their stay for which I am genuinely sorry. It therefore would have been great to have received your view first hand. Unfortunately you chose not to provide any feedback on departure. However if you would like to contact me to discuss your comments further I would be more than happy to do so.
It is only through comments such as those you have made that we are able to improve our standard.
Thank you once again for your feedback

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We were attending the Fawlty Towers dinner show here, so decided to stay in same hotel overnight. The hotel does only have 30 car spaces and are on a first come first served basis but we arrived on Sat afternoon and had no problem getting a space. We were met at reception by Katie (I am almost sure that was her name) who was really friendly and great at her job. She recommended places to eat and was really helpful with a request I had. All the staff were courteous, the room we had was at the back but unlike other reviewers it was very quite, it was on the top floor and had a sitting room section, with two tvs and everything you could want (if i was to nitpick there was no toilet brush, but not the end of the world). The breakfast is a serve yourself buffet all very good just scrambled egg on the buffet but fried or boiled can be ordered as you are seated. The hotel did not seem tired to me as a lot of areas seemed to have been revamped the location for the center is perfect, we had a lovely stay and would definitely go back and stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your frank and honest opinions.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We had a great deal at the Yorkshire Hotel and thoroughly enjoyed our break. Lovely large room at the front of the hotel with a great view across the park and the town. Staff friendly and welcoming. The hotel is a bit quirky and creaky in places, but we think that is part of the charm. And the hotel is so central for the lovely shops, attractions and Betty's tea-room just across the square. We had no problem parking, in fact, one of the reception girls moved her car to let us have one of the hotel's spaces.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel, lovely view over town.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you had a greatstay with us and how much you had enjoyed dining experience and that you felt looked after by the team.